Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 11:44:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

I received my Ruger American Mini Ranch .22 bolt gun last week.  Took it shooting on Sunday.  

Got home went on gun broker and found a Wangler.  

So now I have one of each in Bronze.  

I had to crank up the exposure so you could see the color.

Trying to decide what scope to put on the Bolt gun.

The non over exposed pic.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Would be sweet if  Ruger made them in .22 magnum too.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:49:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

They're probably leary of an alloy frame magnum ever since the old Bearcat. They had an alloy frame convertible briefly that tended to go out of time and they recalled the magnum cylinders. Don't think there has been an alloy magnum from Ruger  since.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

They're probably leary of an alloy frame magnum ever since the old Bearcat. They had an alloy frame convertible briefly that tended to go out of time and they recalled the magnum cylinders. Don't think there has been an alloy magnum from Ruger  since.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your probably right, I forgot the frame was alluminum on the Wrangler. I'm so used to Ruger having super strong frames on all of their revolvers.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:05:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Your probably right, I forgot the frame was alluminum on the Wrangler. I'm so used to Ruger having super strong frames on all of their revolvers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure it would handle it fine(Heritage does) but they're being cautious...or maybe it's as simple as not wanting to add $50 or $75 to a price point gun.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Finally pulled the trigger and got 2 bronze wranglers at Cabelas $199. Very nice fit an finish like the balance and how they handle. Waiting on cooler weather here in Arizona wildfires and heat have put a stop to desert shooting. Should make it out in a few weeks to put a few rounds through both of them. I've been looking for a single six but at the low price and if it shoots as good as it looks will be a winner.I wouldn't pass the wrangler by if your looking for a rimfire single action.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:18:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Finally pulled the trigger and got 2 bronze wranglers at Cabelas $199. Very nice fit an finish like the balance and how they handle. Waiting on cooler weather here in Arizona wildfires and heat have put a stop to desert shooting. Should make it out in a few weeks to put a few rounds through both of them. I've been looking for a single six but at the low price and if it shoots as good as it looks will be a winner.I wouldn't pass the wrangler by if your looking for a rimfire single action.
View Quote

I enjoy my Wrangler

Is Casa Grand within reach for you?
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I agree 100%.  A six gun with a safety is an abomination.  Every one of them should subject to exorcism and then smashed into tiny pieces.  Those pieces should then be melted down and made into a permanent memorial to the designers of the original six guns that profusely apologizes for such an egregious, unnecessary and downright despicable addition to what has always been as perfect a design as could be created during that point in history.

That applies to lever guns as well.  *shudder*
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve been looking to get a fun range toy/plinker to just enjoy. I’ve been eyeballing the Ruger Wrangler lately, my local shop sells them for $200 but they sell out as soon as they get in and they have a wait list currently.

Anyone else have one and can they relay their experience? My father has a Heritage Rough Rider but I hate the safety on it

I agree 100%.  A six gun with a safety is an abomination.  Every one of them should subject to exorcism and then smashed into tiny pieces.  Those pieces should then be melted down and made into a permanent memorial to the designers of the original six guns that profusely apologizes for such an egregious, unnecessary and downright despicable addition to what has always been as perfect a design as could be created during that point in history.

That applies to lever guns as well.  *shudder*

While I agree with the above just because the gun has a safety does not mean you have to use it. You would just have to use the old school safety of hammer down on an empty chamber
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not sure how they keep the price so low other than the cheaper finish ?

Is this a steel gun or is much of it zinc (potmetal) or some such?

I am a suspicious old grump that can't but help think there is a catch here somewhere.
Got to wonder how these will hold up to lots of use?

In my area a used single six seems to go for $350 ,have to wonder if that might be the better deal in the long run.

Of course I lucked out 5 or so years back and grabbed a blued single six with both cylinders for $135 so I am out of the loop.

Truth is a single action rim fire bores me with the slowness of reloading , most all of my rimfire shooting is my 617 or one of several semi auto rimfires.

I will be interested to follow these  new Rugers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Not sure how they keep the price so low other than the cheaper finish ?

Is this a steel gun or is much of it zinc (potmetal) or some such?

I am a suspicious old grump that can't but help think there is a catch here somewhere.
Got to wonder how these will hold up to lots of use?

In my area a used single six seems to go for $350 ,have to wonder if that might be the better deal in the long run.

Of course I lucked out 5 or so years back and grabbed a blued single six with both cylinders for $135 so I am out of the loop.

Truth is a single action rim fire bores me with the slowness of reloading , most all of my rimfire shooting is my 617 or one of several semi auto rimfires.

I will be interested to follow these  new Rugers

I'm the same in many areas as yourself with a preference for steel and longitivtiy. Then again, I do have 642's that have alloy frames and no issues with and I can see the niche that's filled with a low cost but okay .22 S/A. I don't mind the slowness of reloading single actions as I have a number of them. I actually enjoy the breaks, gives me time to think and relax in between and I've no reason to rush as there is never a crowd at the private club I belong to. I used to use my stainless single six convertible as a warm up as with my 617 for it's bigger brothers but now I just roll with .22's on the plinking range. I guess the saying the more things change the more they stay the same fits. I started with plinking and .22's, been up and down the firearms scale over the last 57 years or so shooting and now I'm back to just plinking with .22's.

Quoted:

Just picked one up yesterday. $179 at Sportsmans Warehouse. Haven't shot it yet, BUT, I ran across a little tid-bit that should be of interest to anyone that has one. There's a video on You Tube titled Ruger Wrangler Dry Fire Warning that you should see. The owners manual states that it is OK to dry fire this thing "without damage to the hammer or any parts", but the vid shows how dry firing peens,(dents) the edge of the cylinder to a point where a cartridge cant be inserted. Got a Wrangler ? Check this out !

I don't dry fire any rimfire, irregardless of what the manufacturers write without peening protection. I do have snap caps and/or dummy rounds for all my calibers but you can wear them out fairly quickly if you do a lot of dry firing. On 22 revolvers I use #4-8 drywall anchors instead. A box of 50 costs about $3.00 +/- and will last you a lifetime.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

While I agree with the above just because the gun has a safety does not mean you have to use it. You would just have to use the old school safety of hammer down on an empty chamber
View Quote

That really applies to Colt SAA's or true clones for the most part, sort of sideways, half cock, shearing, dropping, etc. I'm pretty sure that the wrangler has the transfer bar and loading gate interlock safeties (the hammer can't be cocked when the gate is opened) so in essence, you have to use it's safety systems. I'm not kicking the statement around and on my actual Colts, that's how I use them, hammer down on an empty chamber, just clarifying for the wrangler so some don't think it applies.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#11]
anyone tried fanning the hammer yet?
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 1:31:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Picked up a Wrangler in silver today, been eyeing these plinkers for a while now and my local shop happened to have one in stock while I was there to pick up some other parts.  

Love the look and the old school design.  Can't wait to take this thing out and shoot it.  My wife is a huge old west gun fan, I'm sure she'll claim it as her own and I'll have to buy another one for myself.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Just ordered a bronze one from Kentucky Gun co. With transfer it's going to be $199. Also ordered a set of wood Single Six grips from Numrich for it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
anyone tried fanning the hammer yet?
View Quote

I believe they can be fanned, but they recommend against it due to the economic construction.  Fanning can supposedly potentially bend your hammer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:27:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Had one, it shot well and really for the money I can't complain about it.  It got me wanting a nicer one and ended buying a Single Ten.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 9:00:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just ordered a bronze one from Kentucky Gun co. With transfer it's going to be $199. Also ordered a set of wood Single Six grips from Numrich for it.
View Quote

Thanks for posting this. I picked up my Wrangler last night from my FFL. Ordering from KY Gun Co, was super easy, quick shipping, and a great price.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks for posting this. I picked up my Wrangler last night from my FFL. Ordering from KY Gun Co, was super easy, quick shipping, and a great price.
View Quote

You're welcome. They are great to deal with.

Here's mine with the wood grips.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Has anyone tried swapping in a Single Six cylinder?  There are Ruger and aftermarket cylinders with eight to ten chambers.  

I know the Bearcat can be opened up to .22WMR, I'm curious if anyone has converted a Wrangler to .22mag?  Max SAAMI pressure is 24,000PSI for each (https://saami.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/ANSI-SAAMI-Z299.1-Rimfire-2015-R2018-Approved-2018-06-13.pdf) even though they have slightly different diameters- .222/.223 vs .224.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 11:45:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Ruger CS desires my Wrangler back to home base to evaluate after far far left POI “zero.”??

Edited:  Scrapped by Ruger techs as unrepairable.  End of my interest.

Link Posted: 11/21/2020 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Took mine to the range for the first time today. A box of mini mags and a box of CCI standard velocity thought it, no issues. Accuracy seems fine. I was hitting clay targets and ammo boxes at 25 yards and killed a few squirrel shaped paper targets at 10-15 yards so accurate enough to be a fun plinker. Shoots right to poa.

I did put a Belt Mountain oversized base pin in it before I even shot it. The original pin was loose in the frame and the cylinder loose on it enough that the gun rattled when shaken a little.

Probably would still have worked okay but who wants a gun that rattles. New pin dropped right in, tightened things up nicely.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Scooped one up at Academy this morning on impulse. Trigger feels really good for  such a cheap pistol.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Ordered one from Cabelas this morning. Figuring a .22 SA will come in handy in the future
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Here’s mine with a set of Altamont grips. Only bad thing is that the cylinder pin backs out under recoil. I’ve ordered a Wolff spring to replace the stock one.

Other than that it’s been a blast to shoot and very accurate!

Link Posted: 1/29/2021 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Completely forgot I’d made this thread

I actually got one not too long ago on sale for $165 but then ended up having to trade it for a 10/22 so
I could have something to teach my niece/nephew/son how to shoot
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ordered one from Cabelas this morning. Figuring a .22 SA will come in handy in the future
View Quote

Definitely saves on ammo, and hard to beat on downright fun. (My Single Six always rides along in my range bag for those reasons)
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Went by my favorite store today, they had gotten some of the other color variants in cause lately they had only had the black one.

I was wanting to pick up a silver one, but they had the fde and OD one. The OD had some weird tooling marks/cerakote issues so I went with the FDE cause it was nicer looking

$199 OTD, I just spent all my gun money so I put it on layaway till next month
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Does anyone have the plum brown model that's willing to share pictures? I'm torn between that and the burnt bronze.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Does anyone have the plum brown model that's willing to share pictures? I'm torn between that and the burnt bronze.
View Quote

Didn't even know until this post there was another color out.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#29]
It's a Davidson's distributor exclusive. I saw it listed on Ruger's Wrangler page along with a few other color options you don't normally see.
I'm wondering how the plum brown actually shows up in real light instead of just on a screen.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#30]
I was at my LGS yesterday and came home with a Talo distributor exclusive wrangler. It has a cobalt finish (dark grey but looks darker in the picture) with wood grips and it comes with a Ruger logo DeSantis holster. Trigger feels nice but don't plan on dry firing it without spent cases in the chambers. The finish feels like it has a little texture to it and is even all over and the black oxide on the cylinder looks good and dark.

Link Posted: 3/10/2021 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I ended up getting the plum brown Wrangler. Interesting and unique color. Just brought it home a few hours ago. Hopefully I'll get to test it out tomorrow. First revolver I've owned. Really excited for it. The hammer movement is a bit gritty. Hoping that smooths out. But the trigger is nice and crisp. Looking forward to years of fun with it.

ETA: First range session wasn't a complete success. Accuracy was good, trigger fairly smooth. Was able to hit 12ga hulls from 5 yards about 50% of the time. Sights not as terrible as I was expecting. I found that I love the single action process of load, shoot, unload and repeat. However I've completely lost the base pin latch assembly. Spring, nut and latch gone by the third cylinder. I suspect they weren't screwed together enough and had no thread locker. I'll have to get in touch with Ruger's CS. Or does anyone know if the latch assembly from a Single Six will fit? Numrich has them and I've been looking for an excuse to put in an order with them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:30:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Ruger CS came through. Contacted them yesterday and they're sending out a new base pin assembly. I'll definitely be putting a dab of thread locker on it when I put it together. Should be getting the parts in a week or so.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Just ordered mine.  Had choice between silver and bronze and chose silver.  Going to get some grips, what else?  Can’t afford to shoot anything but .22 anymore
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm sure it would handle it fine(Heritage does) but they're being cautious...or maybe it's as simple as not wanting to add $50 or $75 to a price point gun.
View Quote

They also could be trying to justify the price difference?

Never much used the mag cylinder in my single six , the whole point of a rimfire pistol is cheep shooting , not like you can much use the longer range capability in a pistol . The few times I tried 22 mag was pretty much for curiosity of the whole thing.

Wrangler is a interesting pistol , Rough rider is well, mostly just rough .
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#35]
So what is the reality of grips that fit these? Just single six grips or blackhawk as well? I just got the bronze one and man there are some lookers in this thread, sharp!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Shot one the other day, accurate little pistol.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So what is the reality of grips that fit these? Just single six grips or blackhawk as well? I just got the bronze one and man there are some lookers in this thread, sharp!!
View Quote

New model Single Six/Blackhawk. I bought a set of black eagle Blackhawk grips on ebay cheap hoping they would fit and they didn't.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

New model Single Six/Blackhawk. I bought a set of black eagle Blackhawk grips on ebay cheap hoping they would fit and they didn't.
View Quote

Thanks, I chose a set of walnut factory Ruger stocks off eBay. Crossing my fingers!!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 6:28:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I ended up getting the plum brown Wrangler. Interesting and unique color. Just brought it home a few hours ago. Hopefully I'll get to test it out tomorrow. First revolver I've owned. Really excited for it. The hammer movement is a bit gritty. Hoping that smooths out. But the trigger is nice and crisp. Looking forward to years of fun with it.
https://i.imgur.com/GLjb3ih.jpg

ETA: First range session wasn't a complete success. Accuracy was good, trigger fairly smooth. Was able to hit 12ga hulls from 5 yards about 50% of the time. Sights not as terrible as I was expecting. I found that I love the single action process of load, shoot, unload and repeat. However I've completely lost the base pin latch assembly. Spring, nut and latch gone by the third cylinder. I suspect they weren't screwed together enough and had no thread locker. I'll have to get in touch with Ruger's CS. Or does anyone know if the latch assembly from a Single Six will fit? Numrich has them and I've been looking for an excuse to put in an order with them.
View Quote
Didn't know this was a color option until just now.

That looks neat
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I finally got one sent to my FFL, a black one. I bought it without ever seeing one in the wild, because there ain't any in the wild.

It was impossible to pick up with my camera but for you guys with Wranglers, is the bluing on your cylinder somewhat patchy in consistency? I don't know if that's part of the cost savings of the Wrangler or a byproduct of trying to churn these out as quickly as possible due to demand, but at least on mine there are swaths of area with real light bluing while the rest is deep. Still a good buy no doubt!

https://i.imgur.com/Km2GnpM.jpg
View Quote

It looks like it's made of chocolate.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/GLjb3ih.jpg

View Quote
@ginger-mech

Have you gotten your resolution from Ruger CS yet?  After I had put probably 1,000 rounds through my wrangler, the ejector rod head snapped off when unloading (due to an apparent casting void in the neck of the unit).  I called ruger CS and they mailed out the entire assembly, free of charge.

If it happens again, I'm buying a takeoff SS unit from a single six, and then trying to find a grip frame to match
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:35:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Yep, they made it right. I initially got a base pin instead of the latch but, spring and screw but it arrived. I had it to the range yesterday and had no trouble at all other than my aim. I'm about 50-50 for hitting standing  12g hulls from 5 yards. Thinking about a holster and new grips. Do you know how much commonality there is between the Wrangler and the Single Six?
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yep, they made it right. I initially got a base pin instead of the latch but, spring and screw but it arrived. I had it to the range yesterday and had no trouble at all other than my aim. I'm about 50-50 for hitting standing  12g hulls from 5 yards. Thinking about a holster and new grips. Do you know how much commonality there is between the Wrangler and the Single Six?
https://i.imgur.com/9lW5nx0.jpg
View Quote

I've got 300 rounds through my wrangler so far, no problems yet!! Mine is perfect windage wise, hits a little high but no worries once you know. I snagged a pair of single six grips for mine and they fit perfect, all of my single action holsters work perfect as well. Love it!!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/9lW5nx0.jpg
View Quote
There are scads of options for Ruger single actions, and it gets into differences in frames over the years, and quickly becomes a pain in the neck, especially for centerfires.

I bought my imitation stag grips from the Wrangler subsection on Altamont Grips' Website, and like how it fattened up the grip vs. those plastic OEM units.  Interestingly, I wish my Altamont grips for my Ruger Blackhawk were thicker, but what can you do?  .

I'm planning on buying some relatively inexpensive Triple K holster from the Ruger Webstore.  I had one years ago for my Single Six, and it was sufficient for what I did with it, so I figure on doing the same thing for my Wrangler.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#47]
I had one, it was a surprisingly good shooting gun for under $200.  That said, I like it but wanted something a bit more "long term" so I put it towards a Single Ten.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:17:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Took mine to the range for the first time today. A box of mini mags and a box of CCI standard velocity thought it, no issues. Accuracy seems fine. I was hitting clay targets and ammo boxes at 25 yards and killed a few squirrel shaped paper targets at 10-15 yards so accurate enough to be a fun plinker. Shoots right to poa.

I did put a Belt Mountain oversized base pin in it before I even shot it. The original pin was loose in the frame and the cylinder loose on it enough that the gun rattled when shaken a little.

Probably would still have worked okay but who wants a gun that rattles. New pin dropped right in, tightened things up nicely.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/281740/IMG_20201121_151338703_jpg-1695081.JPG
View Quote

What cylinder pin did you use from them as i see they don't list the wrangler. I am assuming that a single six pin works?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:12:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What cylinder pin did you use from them as i see they don't list the wrangler. I am assuming that a single six pin works?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/281740/IMG_20201121_151338703_jpg-1695081.JPG

@MDStroup

Sorry, I just saw your post. Yes it's a Single Six pin.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Finally picked up an Olive Drab Wrangler a few weeks back from Whittaker's in Kentucky.  OD color is darker in real life than the light green pics I've seen online.  

Still haven't shot it, just dry fire with dummy rounds inserted.  Ruger included a 20% off coupon for ShopRuger.com, which I used to purchase a Triple K Carry-Lite holster with the Ruger phoenix stamped into the leather.  (I have one just like it for my Single Six, carried it many times while hiking)

I scanned sites online for a price comparison and noticed Wranglers are drying up, at least in the big box stores.  BassPro, Cabela's, Academy...."sold out", as well as some other gun websites, like Gunbuyer.com.  You can still find them but you might have to hunt around a bit and you might not get the color you are looking for. (OD is completely gone everywhere I've looked)

I'm impressed with the solidity and balanced lines of this handgun, another winner from Ruger.    

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top