Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2009 12:56:37 PM EDT
I have a Tactical Custom II, and when I took it apart to clean the pistol i noticed some scratches on my guide rod. I was wandering what could have done this.
Also should should i replace this guide rod or keep it?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2750/4128578919_a0486c3713.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2548/4129350424_44e18f6e01.jpg
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the guide rod spring may have scratched it, whenever you were taking the spring on and off of the guide rod. I have had a spring on one of my pro carry's that had a real sharp edge and scratched the guide rod like that. I took a file to the edge of the guide rod spring and fixed that problem right up. I also went ahead and ordered a new guide rod from kimber after the spring didn't scratch it anymore!
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I think your recoil spring might have been on backwards.  I did that on my first 1911.  One end of the spring should go on easier than the other.  My .02
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think your recoil spring might have been on backwards.  I did that on my first 1911.  One end of the spring should go on easier than the other.  My .02

This is the exact problem.  You can sand the rough edges off the grooves cut into your guide rod and it will function just fine.  But a new GI length guide rod is not much or you can get a replacement FLGR or 2 piece FLGR.  If you look at your guide rod one end is a little tighter loop on it that goes at the base of the rod and holds itself in place.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the info. What is the advantage of going with a GI guide rod?
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Lighter pistol for carry and easier to take down to be honest I have not seen any reliability differences in any of the pistols I have shot with different rods IMO.  Matter or preference I use a 2 piece in both my Kimber and SA TRP.  I also have a GI one that I use in my Kimber for carry to lighten it up some.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 6:42:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Backwards Spring curls in on one end. The curl side goes toward the rear.
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I had this happen with my TLE II when I first got it.  Even if installed the correct way the recoil spring had a spur that scratched the rod when removed a and replaced for cleaning.  I used a dremel to take off the bur on the spring then used some pumice on a rag wheel in the lab at school to smooth and polish the rod.  Pistol has been 100% and I don't notice the scratches on the rod.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#9]
i have the same gun with several k rounds through it.  Chunk the rod and put an original USGI spring setup in it.  The wear on the rod is normal.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
thanks for the info. What is the advantage of going with a GI guide rod?

if you have an injured hand, you can push the front of the gun into something to cycle the action. cant do it with the FLGR.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I don't care for FLGR's so my vote is to replace it with a USGI style recoil spring guide and plug.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top