Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 1:27:18 PM EDT
just wondering..........before purchase. I want a large 1911 with a light rail and front serrations.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#2]
love mine, i mean i love it,  it freakin shoots good.
only change i'm going to make is getting the frame duracoated in brown, then it will be PERFECT...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
INTERNAL EXTRACTOR.

+1000000

Mine is on the way back to the factory at this very moment because of the external extractor.  Still, it is a very accurate pistol.  Just make sure to get a new one with the internal extractor.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:25:52 AM EDT
[#4]
okay so a internal extractor is what I need, got it.............hopefully.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#5]
This is the one not to get right??????? external extractor

and this is the one too get........... internal extractor

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:22:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, you are correct.  Get the bottom one and you shouldn't have any problems.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:09:09 PM EDT
[#7]
recd my tle today from impact and the mainspring housing was broken at the top but still held the spring in. i superglued it untill my smith magwell shows. other than that this is the tightest 1911 ive bought new.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:34:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Let use know how well the S&A mag well fits and is it a simple drop in part.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Might sound like a dumb question.... But, How can you tell the difference between those two??? Just want to be sure in case I get one also...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#10]
if you look where the extractor is, you see one where it has a cut out and has a extractor there where the other doesnt have anything.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, you want the one with the internal extractor.  Mine (Pro TLE/RL II) came with an external extractor.  I got a good deal on it.  I ended up sending it back and in a letter I inquired about geting a slide with an internal extrator.  Low and behold they replaced the barrel and slide (w/internal extractor).  It runs great now.  The external extractor was definitable a bump in the Kimber history, but they are fixing them.  

This is my third Kimber.  I had a CDP II for duty use and now use the Pro TLE/RL II.  I still carry my Ultra CDP II off duty.

Mike

PS some people have had good luck with Kimbers that have the external extractor.  Just luck of the draw or time before a problem shows.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:55:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Might sound like a dumb question.... But, How can you tell the difference between those two??? Just want to be sure in case I get one also...

No such thing as a dumb question when you're trying to be informed.  A few years ago I didn't know the difference between a cip and a mag.  Don't let anyone get under your skin if the tease you about it.  There was a time they didn't know either, and feeling high and mighty on the 'Net is how they live.  Never be afraid to ask to learn.  But do it here and NOT in GD!

Anyway, to answer your question:

Look at the top picture.  Right between the rear serrations on the slide and the extration port is the extractor - directly below the semi-circular indent.  In the top pic you can see the extractor - it is external.  On the bottom picture you cannot see the extractor - that is internal.  

There are many different theories, but most people think the external extractor is unrelaible because it picks up too much gunk.  Some have never had a problem with their external extractors, but it seems a crap shoot.  And for the price of a Kimber, I'll stick with the internal and not take the chance.

Also, budget for some better sights and mags, unless you get the Kimber factory night sights.  Maybe it's just me, but I think the stock sights suck.  Dan's TLE II has the night sights, and they are pretty nice.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:43:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a TLE II with  EXternal extractor and it has had 1,200+ rds
down it, and it only jamed 1 time
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:00:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I just love mine.  Shoots Great!

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:58:29 AM EDT
[#15]
+1 for internal extractor.  Even though I love my TLE/RLII with the external extractor the only reason I bought it was because it was a friend of mines.  I had shot it a bit and knew it was reliable, plus I got a good deal on it.  

If I hadnt got the good deal on a gun I already knew was reliable I would have without a doubt bought a 1911 with the internal extractor.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#16]
kimber said they would replace my main spring housing and i showed up today as a complete unit ready to drop in just like they said it would. +1 for their customer service.

on a side note the smith/alexander mag well dropped right in on my tle with out a hitch
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:02:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a TLE 5 weeks ago. It had an external extractor. I had several FTE with it. I sent it back to kimber. It showed up 4 weeks later and still did not work. They had reamed and polished the chamber and replaced the extractor. I just sent it back in after speaking to the guy in their custom shop (Dennis). He said he was going to replace the slide and handled the shipping. I am satisfied that Kimber will make it right but I'll never buy another one of ther ETE's. I will say however this pistol is far more accurate than I am when it does fire.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:38:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Are they replacing the slides for free? I get a failure to eject occasionially and tried to "tune" the extractor but I am still not satisfied.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I bought a TLE 5 weeks ago. It had an external extractor. I had several FTE with it. I sent it back to kimber. It showed up 4 weeks later and still did not work. They had reamed and polished the chamber and replaced the extractor. I just sent it back in after speaking to the guy in their custom shop (Dennis). He said he was going to replace the slide and handled the shipping. I am satisfied that Kimber will make it right but I'll never buy another one of ther ETE's. I will say however this pistol is far more accurate than I am when it does fire.

Damn, I sent mine back about two weeks ago for the very same problem.  It would be great if they'd replace my slide.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Kimber replaced the slide along with a new updated set of their night sites on my off duty Tactical  Pro . Extracts just fine now, excellent customer service.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Kimber replaced the slide along with a new updated set of their night sites on my off duty Tactical  Pro . Extracts just fine now, excellent customer service.

How long did it take?  Did they contact you?  Mine's been gone two weeks from tomorrow and I haven't heard anything from them yet.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#22]
4 weeks + for replacement of slide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top