Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2016 11:21:13 AM EDT
I have a kimber 22 conversion slide for my custom crimson carry that has some issues. I would say at least 6 out of 10 shots i get some type of malfunction. It's usually a failure to eject. Sometimes it will be stove pipe and sometimes the slide doesn't rack at all. I'm using federal auto match  target ammo. Would this possibly be an issue with the ammo not being hot enough or is there something else i should look into. Its very annoying having to manually rack the slide back after just about every shot and i have so much of this ammo.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#1]
try some cci mine runs real smooth.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
try some cci mine runs real smooth.
View Quote

I'll have to give CCI a shot then thanks!
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#3]
The Kimber conversion operates as a blow back design, rather than as a delayed locking recoil operated design, like the original 1911.  

To accomplish this the slide stop pin slides through the holes in the frame as well as through the hole in the barrel and essentially converts the 1911 to a fixed barrel, blowback slide design.

If the conversion unit's barrel and slide are properly fitted to the frame, you won't feel any drag - other than spring pressure as you retract the slide, and if you remove the spring and re-assemble it you should feel no drag at all as the slide is retracted.

If however you feel some roughness or drag on the slide as you retract it, then there isn't sufficient clearance and you'll need to relieve the slide stop pin a bit to increase clearance.

You relieve the slide stop pin because it's the cheap part and it much cheaper to replace than the slide or the barrel if you screw it up - and it won't screw up operation with the original 9mm or .45 ACP slide and barrel.

However, this also means you end up needing another slide stop to use as a dedicated part with your .22 LR conversion unit.

You can use a felt tip marker to observe where the pin is binding on the barrel and then use a file or Dremel tool to relieve the area on the pin with the missing ink in very small increments until you notice no more drag as you retract the slide (with the spring removed).  

----

I had to do exactly that when fitting a conversion unit to a JPE 1911 frame that I had used on a1911 with a .400 Corbon barrel before I retired it.  But once done, it has been relentlessly reliable and not picky about ammo at all.  

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:47:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Rule number one with 22's never judge them by how they perform with bulk pack ammo, as this tends to be the lowest quality poorest quality control product the ammo company makes regardless what they name it
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:10:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I had the Kimber 22 conversion unit for a couple of years and it does like hi velocity ammo the best. I very very rarely had problems when shooting hi velocity ammo. I used CCI Stinger most of the time and it was very accurate out of the conversion unit.  Sold the conversion unit to help buy a Kimber Pro Carry II and bought a 22 conversion unit for my AR15. It shot pretty much anything I fed it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Deleted, dumb fingers!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top