Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2006 2:21:47 AM EDT
I have a Jericho 941FB with a polygonal barrel. This pistol had a nice barrel lock up in the front of the slide when I bought it. Since then it has opened significantly because the barrels outer diameter has what looks like a file-like texture. Rough grooves that are evenly spaced, run the length around the barrel diameter, from crown to lugs. What I don't understand is why this pistol's barrel is like this? All it would serve to do is open up the tolerances the more the weapon is cycled...

I originally thought the barrel was supposed to be like this but I'm really wondering now... Anyone elses like this?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:04:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmm...I havent noticed any of the marks that you've seen.  When looking at the front of my pistol there is hardly a gap betwee the barrel and the cut out in the slide.  Does your gun have a lot of miles on it perhaps?  I've heard (nothing to back it up, just heard) that the older Jericho's werent machined as smooth as some of the newer ones.  So these grooves are wearing away at the opening in the front of the slide, yes?

Ok I just took a look at mine and see no rough grooves at all.  I've got 4-5K through it now and have no weird marks.

Hopefully photoman or some of the others will be able to help you out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm.. Sounds like someone forgot a machining step on my barrel. Its obvious when you look at the barrel what I'm talking about. It looks like someone had it on a lathe and didn't smooth out the grooves the lathe made after they turned the barrel down to the correct diameter.

I'm going to try calling Magnum Research about this on monday too.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:08:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Let us know what MR has to say.  Good luck, hopefully they can get your gun straightened out.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I talked to a service person at MR, the responce I received was "they all vary in how rough the outside of the barrel is. It should not effect function of the weapon." After stating the barrel fit has loosened up since I've had the gun he said, "all guns will loosen up with use."

Take it that means if I want a tight fit again, I'm going to have to go with an aftermarket barrel. Only company making them to my knowledge is EFK and I'm not sure if they will do the compact barrels. Guess I'll find out...

On, on the bright side-- Magnum Research honors the warranty of IMI/Jericho import 941's.

ETA: EFK no longer makes the barrels due to lack of demand. Frank at EFK was very nice and gave me the suggestion of simply polishing the barrel behind where it contacts the front of the slide. I'm trying that now. It's smoothed it out a bit, I should be able to stop it from getting any bigger.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Good thing they'll honor the warranty on the older ones.

How did the polishing go?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Went ok. I used some "fine" sand paper and eventually switched to a "super fine" to smooth it the rest of the way out. It's about how it should have looked from the factory now.

Wish I had done it when it was new and tight... 2500 rounds and dry firing shouldn't have affected this weapon as much as it did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top