Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2005 7:08:55 PM EDT
Here's my issue:  Have a full size, steel, Baby Eagle in 9mm, after I've shot a few hundred rounds the slide wont shut all the way when loading a new mag.  Also, I sometimes get this in the middle of shooting through a mag, I'm not weak wristing for sure because when its clean I have no problems.  Here's what happens:  slide is locked back from emptying mag, I insert new mag, use the slingshot method to chamber, and the slide gets stuck with about half of the round in the chamber.    I end up having to smack the back of the slide to get it to slam home.    This only seems to happen once I've shot around 200+ rounds without cleaning.  After a good cleaning it runs great but 200 rounds seems like a fairly low round count to be having FTF problems.  

Would this be a recoil spring issue (not tight/stiff/heavy enough) or could the chamber need some reaming?

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:00:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a .40sw compact polymer, and I've also been having a problem with it jamming lately, and dont know if its entirely unrelated.

The round doesnt chamber all the way (half in, half out), and causes the firearm to jam.

It happens even after a cleaning and a only a few rounds.

I'm pretty confident i am not weak-wristing it as well, and i've had plenty of other "more qualified" shooters use the baby eagle to the same avail.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the BE in .45 and 9MM, and have had zero issues with it. I will ask around and see if others are having the same issue you are.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#3]
That'd be nice, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:14:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Just saw this thread I'm sorry it took so long. I had that issue as well. I got a new recoil spring and that fixed it. How many rounds do you have through the gun? The springs could be starting to get a little weak.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Not exactly sure how many rounds are through the gun, over 2K for sure.  Where'd you get the new recoil spring?   I havent checked Midway or Brownells yet.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:26:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Not exactly sure how many rounds are through the gun, over 2K for sure.  Where'd you get the new recoil spring?   I havent checked Midway or Brownells yet.

Magnum research is where I got the spring.

If you only have about 2k through it then that shouldn't be the issue, unless it was a used gun that you bought, that was my issue. I had 6k though it myself and don't know what the round count was before I got it.

Now it could be that when yer slingshoting it that you are riding the slide a little bit. I've seen guys do that and have done it myself in the past as well. That will create the same situation becuase yer slowing the slide down just enough.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:08:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought the gun brand new, and after I thought about it I am thinking there are quite a few more rounds through it than 2K...maybe double that even.

I'm sure I havent been riding the slide when slingshotting, I've paid close attention to that to insure that isnt the case.

I've been using good mags too, only factory Baby Eagle 15 rounders.  I had jamming issues when I first got it from using crappy mags, but factory mags solved that quick enough.

Thanks for the info, I'll order a spring ASAP and report back.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:54:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I bought the gun brand new, and after I thought about it I am thinking there are quite a few more rounds through it than 2K...maybe double that even.

I'm sure I havent been riding the slide when slingshotting, I've paid close attention to that to insure that isnt the case.

I've been using good mags too, only factory Baby Eagle 15 rounders.  I had jamming issues when I first got it from using crappy mags, but factory mags solved that quick enough.

Thanks for the info, I'll order a spring ASAP and report back.

I'll get some pics when I go home today or while at the range this weekend on how I do it. It's a little hard to explain it so I think pics will be better.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Just checked out MR's site.  Did you have to email them and ask for the spring?  I couldnt find a recoil spring for the Baby Eagles anywhere on there.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just checked out MR's site.  Did you have to email them and ask for the spring?  I couldnt find a recoil spring for the Baby Eagles anywhere on there.

I bought Wilson spring kit for CZ:

wilsoncombat.com/a_spring_ct_non1911.asp

There are two recoil springs #12 and #15. Both work well in my 9mm full size BE.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Sweet, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:22:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I had to call them to get it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Got the springs ordered!!  Hopefully this will solve my problems.  Once I get the spring installed, I'll put a few hundred rounds through her to make sure all is good.  I'll report back after the blast fest.

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:18:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Did the spring show up yet?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Yup the spring got here and I was able to go shooting yesterday.  I was able to put 200 rounds of WWB through it without any problem.  I think I'll try for another 200 rounds this weekend, if everything goes well I think I can safely assume its fixed.  

I actually ended up buying the springs from Wilson Combat, I got a 12# and a 15# (made for a CZ75).  I used the 15 lbs'er and it felt really nice.

Thanks for the help all.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:43:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Keep us informed. Good to hear that it seems to be the fix so far.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Will do.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:33:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Another 250 rounds down the tube without cleaning, still going strong.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Another 250 rounds down the tube without cleaning, still going strong.

Good to hear, mine started doing it again. But my round count is up around 1200 with no cleaning or lube. Supose I should clean it and lube it. Better get some more miltec
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Went out blasting today, another 200 rounds without any cleaning since I replaced the spring.  Ran great, I'll give it a cleaning now though since I know its reliable again.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:16:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Went out blasting today, another 200 rounds without any cleaning since I replaced the spring.  Ran great, I'll give it a cleaning now though since I know its reliable again.

Good to hear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top