Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2009 3:53:08 PM EDT
Got a USP Compact in 9mm last summer with the intention of using it when I go for my out-of-state concealed carry permits.  Shot it some during the fall, noticed that the sights were off, mostly low and right.

I decided recently that I'm going to shoot my USP a LOT in preparation for going for the qualifications this summer, and have been getting out to the range more.  Yesterday I decided to adjust the sights.  They were visibly off, and I figured it'd be easy to correct.  I put a drop of oil on each side of both front and back sights and let it soak in, then used a cloth wrapped punch to drift the rear sight over.

I took the punch and hammer to the range today, and started shooting.  FWIW, the ammo was CCI Blazer.  Better than the Wolf that I usually shoot.  It shot horribly low. and seemingly left.  I was shooting 2, 3, and 5 rounds at a time for evaluation, and focusing completely on fundamentals.  Good grip, pad of the finger instead of knuckle, both eyes open, focusing on the front sight.  Even had my dad shoot through half a box, and he couldn't get it to group anywhere.  I've fixed and corrected and compensated the sights and the damn thing still isn't shooting a consistent group anywhere I can find.  I just wasted $20 of ammunition and I don't have jack to show for it.  I don't know what's going on and I don't know how to figure it out.

Does anyone know any tricks for getting a USPc sighted in?  Is there a way I can "reset" my sights to something roughly approximating factory settings and then go from there?  Do these guns typically shoot low?
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#1]
You do know that HK sights their pistols with the FRONT sight COVERING the target or the target/POI directly behind the front sight.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I was shooting it both ways - sight covering the target and sight under the target - to see if there was a difference.  Both were incredibly low, though maybe sight-below-the-target was lower.  I can learn low, I'm more interested in getting the sights lined up horizontally.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Try using snap caps to see if you're "jerking" in any way.  What other types/brands of handguns have you shot and or own or used to????
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was shooting it both ways - sight covering the target and sight under the target - to see if there was a difference.  Both were incredibly low, though maybe sight-below-the-target was lower.  I can learn low, I'm more interested in getting the sights lined up horizontally.  Any suggestions?

Did you try switching hands? If doing so causes the same shift to the RIGHT then it is a matter of you pushing the trigger.
It is very common with a USP.
Trigger discipline is critical as they are wonderful guns but not forgiving.
The above post is a good one...try snap caps and watch your front sight. It will bounce.
You may be able to be a marksman shooting the same way with another gun...don't get discouraged.
Keep trying the snap caps and switch hands technique.

All else fails....I would be happy to send you my address to take that obviously damaged and worthless gun off your hands.....
I know....what a guy but hey, I would never let another member down!!

Echo
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#5]
See if you can shoot it in a rest.  Try to eliminate any variables.

The low-left is a very common problem for right-handed shooters.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Did you buy it used??? If so someone MIGHT have changed the sights because of the way HK sights them and didn't realize it, if they are factory then you know who it is
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Try using snap caps to see if you're "jerking" in any way. What other types/brands of handguns have you shot and or own or used to????
I shoot a 1911, Sig 45, and Beretta 92 quite well.  I'm thinking if it was me, then the other 2 people who've shot it would get different results.  Not necessarily better, but different.  I can accept that I'm shooting this gun poorly, but there has to be consistency somewhere.  If I'm shooting 5 shots and jerking it low right, I should get a grouping (very ugly grouping, sure) low right.  I'd aim upper left and get high center.  I'd aim high center and get low left.  I'd aim low left and get high left.

See if you can shoot it in a rest. Try to eliminate any variables.

The low-left is a very common problem for right-handed shooters.
Shot it off a rest, and off-hand, both at 15 yards.  No consistency was discernable either way.

Did you buy it used??? If so someone MIGHT have changed the sights because of the way HK sights them and didn't realize it, if they are factory then you know who it is
I did buy it used, and the sights appeared to be off (but at least consistent) when I bought it.  Now that I try to straighten them out, the gun is all over the place.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Try and see if you can find someone else who has a USP or USPc to shoot yours. Those who have tried my USPc have been completely awful with it, consistently shooting low and all over. They always ask if the sites are off, and then I proceed to put two right in the bull's eye.

How many times have you dry fired or used snap caps? If less than 250 then that's not enough. It took me 500 rounds to start to get the hang of mine.

EDIT: How large are your hands? Mine are a on the smaller side of medium. You might try using more trigger finger. Almost pull the trigger with the joint of your finger.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 7:03:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Does anyone know if the USP sights and the USPC sights are the same? For 9mm's at least.  I still have the original sights for my USP 9, if you want I can mail them to you and see if they are/look the same.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if the USP sights and the USPC sights are the same? For 9mm's at least.  I still have the original sights for my USP 9, if you want I can mail them to you and see if they are/look the same.

The rear are the same but the front has a shorter top blade.
You can put it on but it will reach almost to the end of the slide.
If you look at the compact, it is shorter...not in height but in length.

Echo
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:EDIT: How large are your hands? Mine are a on the smaller side of medium. You might try using more trigger finger. Almost pull the trigger with the joint of your finger.
I've got small to small-medium hands.  Everything I've ever read has said to pull with the pad of the finger to avoid jerking the trigger.

I'd think if I were the one goofing it up, other people would be able to shoot it a little better, or at least I could find that it was hitting consistently in one place.  I can definitely accept that I've got a bad trigger pull, and I'll do some dryfire practice.

Anybody got any tips on how I can adjust the sights on this to get them back somewhere towards normal?  I took the hammer and punch to the range last time and it was one correction and overcorrection after another and they were as jacked up when I left as went I started.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 5:28:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:EDIT: How large are your hands? Mine are a on the smaller side of medium. You might try using more trigger finger. Almost pull the trigger with the joint of your finger.
I've got small to small-medium hands.  Everything I've ever read has said to pull with the pad of the finger to avoid jerking the trigger.

I'd think if I were the one goofing it up, other people would be able to shoot it a little better, or at least I could find that it was hitting consistently in one place.  I can definitely accept that I've got a bad trigger pull, and I'll do some dryfire practice.

Anybody got any tips on how I can adjust the sights on this to get them back somewhere towards normal?  I took the hammer and punch to the range last time and it was one correction and overcorrection after another and they were as jacked up when I left as went I started.  Thanks.

I just throw this out there...
I have a sight pusher ordered from a popular rental site (MGW pusher) coming in a few days.
I will be changing the sight out on my USP .45, .45c and 9c.
Once that happens, I would be happy to shift your back to midpoint.
I know we don't know each other but I am willing to help you out as you seem way too frustrated on this issue.
The slide is all that would be needed...not the complete gun.

It's just an offer...I can let you know when the pusher is on the way...they emailed me Tuesday and advised it would be back soon and then on to me...
I will have it for ten days. I only need one to do my stuff.
That would give plenty of time for shipping, re-set and return.
Hell...if you buggered them up too bad or there is a noticable blade shift, you can have the front blade off one of the compacts...I am putting NS on them anyway.
The old sites will just go in a bag in the safe anyway...you might as well be able to use it!

PM if you wish.

Echo

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 6:12:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I would recommend "sighting in" the shooter first
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Got some help from a friend at Gander Mtn.  Seems the sights were jacked up the first time, and I had gotten them somewhat close to normal when I started readjusting.  It was partially the gun's fault and partially mine.  He gave me some pointers that'll help me shoot ALL pistols more accurately.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
He gave me some pointers that'll help me shoot ALL pistols more accurately.

Care to share?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#16]
^^^Sorry, I haven't looked at this since I posted last.

I've been shooting for a while with a "thumbprint over thumbnail" grip, which puts the gun higher in my hand.  Reason being my prefered grip - thumbs forward - hits the slide stop on most pistols.  The guy I was shooting with says I shouldn't worry about that, that you rarely shoot to slide-lock anyway, and should do a tactical reload before that would happen.  He also told me I need to be doing dryfire practice constantly.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top