Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 9:21:09 PM EDT
i've got an expert .45 and a fullsize stainless .40, and lately i've been thinking it would be nice to pick up a decent used 9mm uspf.  i wandered into a new (to me) gunstore today, and just my luck they had a really nice one.  AD code, very little wear.

ugh... if i only had the extra money for it, i would have snatched it up with a quickness (well, maybe).

but, one thing struck me as odd on it, and since i've never even fired a usp 9mm, i thought i'd ask someone more experienced.

the slide had a bunch of brass marks on it, like what a non-radiused 1911 gets, or the brass deflector on an AR.  i know my .40 has NEVER done this, and i'm pretty damn sure my expert doesn't do that.  in fact, i don't think i've ever seen a used usp with brass marks like that on it.  they were on the angled part of the extractor, right above it next to the chamber, unlike being back on the slide like a 1911.

so, is this something normal for a 9mm then?  it was an HE finish model.

i need to get a carry gun, but man... it's uncanny i ran across one of these, and a really nice looking one too (other than the marks).

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have lots of this marks on my USP9, but not so much or at all in my USP45, on that part you're talking about.
still it works 100% out of the box though. I bought it new. If brass marks on slide I think it's okay, if it's gun marks on brass, we have a problem
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:24:00 PM EDT
[#2]
ok, thanks for the info.  i couldn't care less that the marks are there, but since my others don't do that, it seemed to be not-normal
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#3]
don't worry about it. when i first saw it on mine, i was wondering what those are as i can't get them off. that gun will work. it's HK, not some 1911.
you know, i wonder if my new p2000 in .40 won't do it like the 9 does.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Same here.  my uspf9 has the same trade "marks".  has never had an error upon pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I just took my USP9 to the range today. This is my USP9, 200 rounds, not cleaned yet.
Marks are normal, the gun gave me 100% performance and function today.

Another thing, the P2000 does not have marks like those. I guess this is a USP9's thing.
If I were you, go buy that USP9 already.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#6]
good to know!

i'd love to buy it, it would be a nice little toy for the holidays.  but, now my truck needs about $1k or so in work pretty bad, needs to be done before i get another toy

argh, i haven't been to the range in like 3 months.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
good to know!

i'd love to buy it, it would be a nice little toy for the holidays.  but, now my truck needs about $1k or so in work pretty bad, needs to be done before i get another toy

Buy import next time, it'll save you money in the long run for more important things, say a new gun?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#8]
That's a sign its been shot a lot.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Not necessarily true. I purchased my USP9 brand new, it is less than 2000 rounds total, and you saw the pic above.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
good to know!

Buy import next time, it'll save you money in the long run for more important things, say a new gun?

lol, it is an import!  it's a little b2200.. before ford got their hands on it!

actually, i can't complain.  i've owned the truck for almost 4 years now i think, and it's been amazing.  about a year ago i put a starter in it, which was actually bad when i bought the truck.  other than that, it's been great.  i put new tires on it before i came out here (and belts).  the exhaust fell off and i need to replace it, and the brakes need to be redone on the front.  the only reason the exhaust is so expensive is because i need to replace all of it, including a new cat

the pistol has definitely been fired, but i wouldn't say a lot.  the rest of the wear on the pistol is minimal.  and, it's only like a year old.  but, only comes with 1 leo mag and no box
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:46:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I just bought a USPf9, and then read this thread and checked my gun, yes, it does make those marks.. I don't like it because of resale valuse.. (its a good gun so far, but just in case it goes down in my favorite list...)

and one more observation on the magazines (I am sorry if I seemed to hijacking this thread, I think  it is relavent to the topic )

I find the follower already have markings from loading the first rounds, the rim on the casing cuts into the "polymer" on the follower, my GLOCK mags have not such mark after 2k rounds...

For the price of HK.. now I'm thinking it's NOT that they have better material!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I just bought a USPf9, and then read this thread and checked my gun, yes, it does make those marks.. I don't like it because of resale valuse.. (its a good gun so far, but just in case it goes down in my favorite list...)

and one more observation on the magazines (I am sorry if I seemed to hijacking this thread, I think  it is relavent to the topic )

I find the follower already have markings from loading the first rounds, the rim on the casing cuts into the "polymer" on the follower, my GLOCK mags have not such mark after 2k rounds...

For the price of HK.. now I'm thinking it's NOT that they have better material!

usually i find it's that hk has better workmanship over most manufacturers.  just look at the machining.  maybe the other guns work just as well as the hk, but they don't have near the nice machine work.

i generally (well, in the past, not so much lately) put a lot of lead through my handguns.  way more than rifle.  the 3 hk's i've owned have never had a failure with everything i've put through them.

my hks are the only guns i currently have (or have owned) with decent round counts and no failures, other than a 92 brigadier i had went 1600rds with factory 10-rd mags and ball ammo w/ no failures, and _almost_ no wear on the pistol.

the only other pistol i've had like that was a springfield parked loaded 1911, but it only had a few hundred rounds through it before i had to sell it ().  it did not fail (ball ammo).

i would not be in the least concerned about the brass marks and resale.  the only reason i brought it up was because my other larger cal usp's don't do this, and i was concerned it was incorrect.  now that i know it's normal, i would have no problems at all purchasing this pistol (other than the lack of box and single magazine).  in fact, if i thought i could swing carrying it daily (seems like a tough call for iwb), i'd consider trading my p232 in for it (assuming i got enough christmas cash, and put off the truck parts :) ).
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:50:58 AM EDT
[#13]
It's good to hear you have no failure with your HKs, I might sound like I'm bashing HK and comparing it with GLOCK.

I am just learning each guns' "personalities".
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:09:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I think it's good that a pistol show wear with it's use.  Keeps the creeps from trying to sell well used stuff as "only one box thru it" or LNIB.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

There is virtually no wear on that gun. I doubt that you can kill one with a little brass transfer. That gun prolly has no leather time.

Buy it, rub it down with Breakfre CLP and go make about 10,000 more brass marks.

Later,
D.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top