Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2005 7:20:58 AM EDT
I am going to order some Trijicon sights for my USP and I wanted to know how difficult it is to swap out the sights.  Is this something I can do without a sight installation tool?  I have brass & delrin punches.  Is this a viable option?
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#1]
That's what I used, nylon and brass punches and a B&D Workmate.  Pad the slide and clamp it in the Workmate.  I used the brass punch to drive them out but it will mark stuff.  No matter, a little CR-10 cleans up any brass marks.  The sights I used come oversized (MMC) and need to be fitted (safe on two sides dovetail file from Brownells), so after fitting I drove the front in with the nylon drift and locked it down with the set screws as backup.  The rear sight I cut for a slip fit using the locking screws for windage adjustment (these are adjustable sights).  Fixed sights can be installed the same way.  Just be very careful.  While the sight tool is preferred, for only doing one or two pistols that is a lot of money to spend for something you cannot use on hardly any other firearm.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 8:15:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Big-Bore!
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 12:14:59 AM EDT
[#3]
The delrin punches worked great for me too. Back when I was figuring out which Trijicon sights to buy for my fullsize USP45 and USP40 the guys over at HKPro suggested that I try yellow rears with a green front. I followed their advice and was thrilled with the results. The contrast between the two colors makes aiming lightning fast and simple

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone know where I can get night sights for a USP9SD?  They need to be the tall ones so I can see over my AAC Evolution 9.  The stock sights are crappy - all black.  Should I just be content with them and paint them for better visibility?
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Meprolite makes a set of tall night sights.  Contact Mark McWillis at TROS because he had some a while back for only $125-$135 IIRC.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got the Mepro adj on my Tac.  I highly recommend them.  Very high to see over a can.  Very bright.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I just put HK night sights on my USPC 45 (first HK, Love it!) I got the yellow and green set and they don't seem to work. I have night sights on my 1911 and they work great, but these seem as if they are just normal dot sights. Is it possible they can be defective? Has anyone ever heard of bad sights like this? Someone told me to hold a flashlight on them to "charge them," is this true because I haven't tried it yet.

Monoskier
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is it possible they can be defective? Has anyone ever heard of bad sights like this? Someone told me to hold a flashlight on them to "charge them," is this true because I haven't tried it yet.

Monoskier

No.  There is no "charging" night sights.  Night sights have small vials of radioactive element.  As the element breaks down over its half life's, electrons (the light you see) are given off.  That is what makes night sights glow.    

You can buy a pair of night sights and put them in a drawer and they'll glow for 10 years without ever being exposed to light.  The light the sights give off will decrease over time due to the decaying of the element.

Not all sights have tritium in them.  Some are just paint.  Even the multicolored ones.  

Which manufacturer made your night sights?  From where did you get them?  

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:04:33 PM EDT
[#9]
They're HK tritium after-market night sights. I had a choice of HK or novak, but the novaks were all green. All my other pistols have novaks and they're almost distractingly bright in the dark. The HKs are just really dim if at all. They are the HK brand and they have tru-glow or something like that on the side of them. I can't send them back to the store I got them because they're installed and I doubt HK would take them. Guess I'm out the money if I choose to get different ones.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Ouch.  Ya, that might be a problem if the sights are already installed.  Maybe not though.  Only one way to know for sure is to ask the place where you got 'em from.  

You've got the same sights I have on my Tac.  All three dots on mine are green though.  Tru Glow.

Is there any way the sights could have been tampered with?  (previously opened box/packaging, possible mixed up sights)

Did you install these yourself?  Who told you to try "charging them with a flashlight"?  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I had them installed by a gunsmith. The place I got them from is a large hunting and fishing chain store that moves a lot of these sights so I don't think they sat around in the store very long by the time I bought them. They already told me there is nothing I could do other than try HK, even so I would be out the money from the gunsmith taking them on and off several times. So it might be cheaper and less aggravation for me to pick up some new ones (ouch). Plus this is now my daily carry gun and the less it's out of commission the better. As far as being used, I don't think so. They looked new when I got them but anything that comes in a dime bag could have been opened several times without me knowing. I think the shooter that told me to "charge" them was thinking about some sort of hi-viz/fiber sight that collects light and needs some sort of environmental light to glow or he doesn't have experience with trijicon sights. To relate to the original post, I would say try the sights in the dark before putting them on. The sights are a minor problem compared to how happy I am with the pistol. I'm thinking about the full sized .45 usp tac now. Why was I wasting all my time with those other brands for so long?

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:24:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Alright guys,  thanks for all the comments.  I picked up a set of green / green Trijicon sights (at a decent price) and got them installed by the shop I bought them from for free so installation wasn't an issue.  The first thing I did was check them in the shop to make sure they were good and bright.  Got them home and checked them out in a dark room.  Good to go.  Just got to get it to the range to make sure I am zeroed.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I think you might be S.O.L. there monoskier.  I will say that it is most uncool for the shop that sold you the sightes to just throw their hands up in the air and say "Oh, well."  That is basicly what they're doing.  

You are right about the dime bag.  That thing could have been opened 10 times since they got to the store.  I would have a serious problem ever buying there again.  (The Scheels store here f*cked me twice so I don't buy there anymore.  Thats not to say I browse though.)

I can understand you not wanting your carry pistol out of comission very long--if at all.  Unfortunately I think you are right to just get new sights (again) and cover your ass 100%.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey monoskier.  If the sights say Tru Dot, then they are Mepros(which makes sense, because that is HK's prefered manufacturer for NS).  HK does not actually make them. If you have the receipt, or some form of proof of purchase, contact Mepro directly, and they should warranty them.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:10:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I didn't know that about Mepros. I'll try them. I was pissed at the store I bought them from, especially since they sell so many of these sights. All I can do is not shop there anymore, where I live it's hard not to because lack of anyplace else. Moving to Phoenix this week and I know there's one or two gun shops there. Thanks for the info.

Monoskier
Page Handguns » H&K
Top Top