Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2013 7:50:46 AM EDT
Hey all,

so I've had my USP9 Compact for almost a year now.  It's been out maybe 10 times or so - maybe 1,200 - 1,400 rounds.

Flawless operation.  Went bang every time.  Typical HK.  The issue is ME.  I'm having a heck of a time with followup shots with this thing.  I've owned probably 60 different handguns of various types (mostly semi-autos) and am very proficient with my P30L, Berettas, 1911s - basically all full-size guns.

Has anybody else had to basically relearn how to shoot with their USP9c?  This is my first compact pistol, so I don't know if it's the short site radius, shorter barrel or what but I am MUCH slower with this thing than, say my P30L.

I'm used to putting a whole mag in a fist sized hole, real fast.  Not so with this Compact - I've really gotta slow my roll to have any accuracy with it.  Single shots, it's dead on accurate, but any speed shooting, forget about it.  I pick up my P30L and bam, business as usual.

So, besides more practice, any tips?  I've got the factory HK grip tape on it and the mag extensions, I got those right away when I bought the gun.  Maybe this is the nature of compacts?  The recoil of this gun just seems to be on the ridiculous side for 9mm.  Feels almost like a 40.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#1]
The lighter you make a gun the more recoil it will produce.  I have a USP 45C and have no issues with follow ups, try shooting more magnums then go to your 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Grip?

I think My glocks recoil more than my USPC.

In fact my USPC is the lightest recoiling 9mm (next to my FS USP) Ive ever shot
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 1:30:30 AM EDT
[#3]
As a guy who has most all of the USP's I've shot them quite a bit.

The suggestions I'd make are as follows.

If follow up shots are the issue and/or rapid fire, make sure to check your grip and finger position.  Stock USP's have a relatively long trigger reset and draw.  If your hand and finger position is not correct or you're used to a short reset and shorter trigger pull that could be the culprit.

I'd recommend doing double taps, but not super fast, perhaps bang 1..2..3 bang.  Concentrate on the follow up shot and see if you're pulling in to a 7-o-clock follow up due to your hand position, trigger finger placement or perhaps you're flinching?  Could be a combination of all of the above or the first two.

As the follow up becomes more accurate, shorten the time between follow up shots until it starts to happen (?) again and repeat until you've figured it out.  From there, I'd recommend a mag dump using the same method.  Eventually you'll figure out what the problem is and hopefully be able to remedy the issues.

Happy shooting and let us know how it works out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I just sold my HK USP 9mm Compact back to the store that I bought it from 10 years ago. Like yours, mine was flawless through 1000+ rounds. It was stationed as my "go to"…primary defense weapon. I found it to be very accurate. Upgraded to a P30.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:28:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just sold my HK USP 9mm Compact back to the store that I bought it from 10 years ago. Like yours, mine was flawless through 1000+ rounds. It was stationed as my "go to"…primary defense weapon. I found it to be very accurate. Upgraded to a P30.
View Quote

I dont see the P30 as a USPC replacement. Its much bigger, isnt it?

I want to have one, but I wouldnt give up my USP or USPC to have it.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top