Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 10:00:44 PM EDT
i have a USP .45 that is date coded 93.  i bought it used from a friend for $500.  ive had it about two years, and im starting to think it may need a bit of work done to it.  everything feels kind of loose, somewhat sloppy.  also at times when the slide is locked back, if i insert a mag it will auomatically slide forward.  

id just like to give it a workover and make it better.  its a good shooter but i dont think its at its best.  i have a USP compact in 9mm that is almost new that i use as a reference point.  also, it has a fiber optic front site, i was thinking of changing it to traditional night sights. dumb idea?  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:04:54 AM EDT
[#1]
You'd be best suited to go back to the factory, IMO. You seem to have a laundry list for problems & H&K warranties their gun for lifetime, AFAIK. OTOH, using a private smith means you have to first find someone who can do it, then you have the SEE if he can do it & then you have to decide if he can do it. Too risky, IMO. I'd do factory & keep the warranty intact.

My .o2
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Factory is a good way to go unless you can find a factory certified "armorer" or smith in your area.  The HK Lifetime warranty is for the first owner of the gun.  I don't know if there is a way of proving that the other guy was the first owner.  If he never sent the card in, then you might have a shot?  
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:00:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd call HK in VA for a RM number and then send it in to them.

I bought a used USP45C on the EE here that malfunctioned and had a sear part fall out of the magwell into my hand.  Turned out the previous owner was a home gunsmith of sorts.............

Any way - HK went through the entire pistol and replaced everything that wasn't up to factory specs, test fired it, and returned it to me free of charge.  Outstanding customer service.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I too would recommend sending it back to H&K.  They are great guns but they have one draw back, 6 million pieces and only a few qualified people who know how to work on them.  The problem you have with inserting a new mag on an empty weapon sounds normal and that will happen from time to time.  It happens when the new magazine is insterted too hard and at a certain angle releasing the slide release spring.  Good Luck!!
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top