Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2003 7:45:04 AM EDT
Which mags work the best?  Do they cost a lot?  Do GI 7 rd mags work in this gun?

TIA
Rebel 13
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Anything for a standard Government Model will fit and should work. The "best" by consensus are the Wilson mags. I prefer 7rd. models but some say they have no problems with 8rd. ones. The McCormick Shooting Star mags also work OK.

And yes, the GI mags will...at least theoretically...work in your gun. They don't always feed JHP stuff well, however.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the insight ikor.  I get to pick the gun up tomorrow and I think it only came with 1 mag.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a Government size 1991, I echo the effectiveness of Wilson mags. GI mags always feed fine and hold slide open for me but have about a 50/50 rate of dropping free or not(fortunately they're cheap!).

Look forward to lots of tight groupings in the black!
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#4]
What Ikor said
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 6:14:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I use Chip McCormick mags, 8rd, about $15-19 each. Never had a problem.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 3:29:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Depending on how many more mags you want, reb, you may want to try a small assortment until the gun or yourself finds what works the best.
It may like all of 'em.
You may want a 10 rounder in stainless or a 7 rounder in blue, with or without base pads, for example.
Even though, like Ikor says, anything for the GM should work, I would add, avoid the $5 gunshow specials as junk.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:31:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys.

I was able to pick up a couple of Colt original mags 7rd slightly used for $10 which I think was a good deal.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Think not, know. $10 is a good deal if they're truly only slightly used. I've had a problem with a total of one Colt factory mag.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top