Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 9:54:27 AM EDT
i have a chance to buy a Colt Combat commander, the guy who owned it put alot of money into it so im told, and had the custom shop put the slide on a different frame, cant remember what it was , the gun has a polished slide, and blued frame, has trigger work, and i believe the slide was matched to the frame, there is NO PLAY  whatsoever in the gun very tight, has been used  but is smooth as silk,

EDIT! I went and looked at it again, IT HAS A BAR-STO BARREL,ORINGINAL COLT COMBAT COMMANDER SLIDE,POLISHED FEED RAMP,POLISHED AND MATCH TRIGGER SET, mATCH HAMMER/SEAR, AND IT DOES HAVE THE ESSEX FRAME, BUT EVERYTHING ELSE IS NICE, THINK IT IS A GOOD BUY?

im jumping on it cause i can buy it for $399.99  but i just didnt know the average price is soeone might aspect to pay am i doing the right buying this one for $400

thanks
cant wait to get it, looks like it would be a pleasure to carry

thanks in advance, i will get more deatails and pics when i bring her home after pay day
thanks
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
i have a chance to buy a Colt Combat commander, the guy who owned it put alot of money into it so im told, and had the custom shop put the slide on a different frame, cant remember what it was , the gun has a polished slide, and blued frame, has trigger work, and i believe the slide was matched to the frame, there is NO PLAY  whatsoever in the gun very tight, has been used  but is smooth as silk,

im jumping on it cause i can buy it for $399.99  but i just didnt know the average price is soeone might aspect to pay am i doing the right buying this one for $400

thanks
cant wait to get it, looks like it would be a pleasure to carry

thanks in advance, i will get more deatails and pics when i bring her home after pay day
thanks

Hmmm, so you were told that the custom shop put a slide on a different frame but you can't remember what it was.....

If it was the Colt custom shop, and the different frame was a Colt, and though you can't remember what it was, but you trust the guy who told you, then all sounds good.   On the other hand, if it was Joe JimBob's We Sell Bait/Deli and Gun Parlor who did the work, put a Colt slide on an Essex frame (or possibly another, who can remember?), and it has all this great work, so you're told, then I would pass.

Seriously, if it's a Colt frame and a Colt slide, and neither has been cut/welded/drilled, etc. beyond easy repair, then $400 is very good.  I hope this is the case, instead of someone selling you the Joe JimBob high end customized Colt Safari Arms MatchCup Special Custom Shop Edition, "trust me, it's worth twice this amount" pistol.  If it was a stock Colt Commander, it's a steal at this price.   If it's a Commander with a Colt slide and Colt frame, and it has been customized by even an average 1911 smith, it's a steal.  If it was customized at the Colt Custom Shop, it's a steal.  I hope it all turns out well.  Show us some pics.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#2]
ya hopefully i will have it soon and post some pictures,

I think the fram is made by colt  but i dont know, i cannot get any wiggle or movement out of the slide or frame slide closed or open,

it feels like a a nice firearm, and the guy who i know, and bought many firearms off from said he would give it to me for $400 but he swapped out the tag and put $598.99 on it cause his son put the wrong tag on the gun that had just come in

but anyway i will look into it more, the guy told me all the details but i have ADD so its hard for me to remember things

thanks
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:02:57 PM EDT
[#3]
You have ADD?  Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only gun nut with ADD.  Just look for Colt markings on the frame, which is truly the critical thing.  If it's an Essex frame, consider passing.  $400 for an Essex framed gun is really not a good deal from a resale standpoint.  However, I've built some decent guns off Essex frames before, and the last I sold for $750.  It had everything, including a match barrel though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#4]
ok cool
so if its essex will that hurt its function or just the value, im just looking to buy a decent gun here and this caught my eye for the price and work done to it, i will not be wanting to make money on it  just another thing to add to the arsenal!

anyway could you exsplain what a essex frame is and why they suck? and also im pretty sure its a frame made by Colt, but i will check it out when i go back tommorrow

thanks for the help
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:31:15 PM EDT
[#5]
If it has an Essex frame, I would pass, IMO. As for why they're not popular, well, just because.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#6]
EDIT!
I went and looked at it again, IT HAS A BAR-STO BARREL,ORINGINAL COLT COMBAT COMMANDER SLIDE,POLISHED FEED RAMP,POLISHED AND MATCH TRIGGER SET, mATCH HAMMER/SEAR, AND IT DOES HAVE THE ESSEX FRAME, BUT EVERYTHING ELSE IS NICE, THINK IT IS A GOOD BUY?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:23:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:48:46 PM EDT
[#8]
assuming the gun is like new round count is prob 400 rounds and everything is tight as can be and no finish blemishes i am guess it would be worth $400
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top