Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 2:53:46 PM EDT
After I pickup my Defender my next buy will most likely be a Colt 5" 1911.  Must have combat/fixed sights and will be used as defense/target weapon.  Looking at the Colt site----limited info-----1991, XSE, ser70, Spl Combat Gov???

Need some help as to which is which and what you would recomend.

Thanks for any help,
GTD
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Whats your budget?

I kinda like the pre series 70s lately

Modified, of course.

But seriously, it all depends on your budget.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Whats your budget?

I kinda like the pre series 70s lately

Modified, of course.

But seriously, it all depends on your budget.

Very good ques.  Here is my 2 part anrs.  First I should of said I want to buy new.  I hoped to be about $1000.00 NIB and then I could spend more as needed to tune or mod.  At this time I would say a grand total $1500 or so.  is that enough to get the job done?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Look for a NRM 1991.  They are among the best Colts ever produced, and if you can find one, it should be around $700.  You will have enough money left over to get a set of Novaks installed, as well as a new hammer, beavertail, and trigger installed, with a trigger job and reliability tune under your $1,500 limit.   Since you're in Il. you can easily find good pistolsmiths.  I would look into Oglesby and Oglesby, since I don't know what town you're in.  Of  course, Richard Heinie is perhaps the best in the world, but good luck getting one done anytime soon, and his prices are commensurately high.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's what I would do:

yost-bonitz.com/packages/1asterisk-enhanced/

If you want Heinies, its the same gun, similar price, no 1* markings.

I'm one of those guys that truely believes that if you settle for less than you wanted in the first place, you'll end up buying what you wanted anyway and regretting the dicking around. But thats just me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Look for a NRM 1991.  They are among the best Colts ever produced, and if you can find one, it should be around $700.  You will have enough money left over to get a set of Novaks installed, as well as a new hammer, beavertail, and trigger installed, with a trigger job and reliability tune under your $1,500 limit.   Since you're in Il. you can easily find good pistolsmiths.  I would look into Oglesby and Oglesby, since I don't know what town you're in.  Of  course, Richard Heinie is perhaps the best in the world, but good luck getting one done anytime soon, and his prices are commensurately high.

NRM---is that still produced and what does it mean?  Sorry I have had mostly HK autos.---Does it shoot pretty well right out of the box?

GTD
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Here's what I would do:

yost-bonitz.com/packages/1asterisk-enhanced/

If you want Heinies, its the same gun, similar price, no 1* markings.

I'm one of those guys that truely believes that if you settle for less than you wanted in the first place, you'll end up buying what you wanted anyway and regretting the dicking around. But thats just me.

Dang, your right!----------However I will only have $900-$1000 to spend at first.  So can I just order a 1991 Colt then when funds are there I can send it to "Heinies"?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#7]
1) Heine has an 8 year waiting list... and his pistol run about 3,000 over the cost of the base gun.

2) A 1* Enhanced is usually built from a Springfield Armory GI, which usually costs about 400 dollars.

3)Yost-Bonitz has a 3-4 month wait on 1*'s.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:57:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NRM---is that still produced and what does it mean?  Sorry I have had mostly HK autos.---Does it shoot pretty well right out of the box?

GTD

New Roll Mark, basically they got rid of the huge letters and numbers, instead using a more traditional logo.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:05:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is another vote for the Yost-Bonitz. There are different grades of the 1* so get the 1991 or maybe a S70 and shoot the heck out of it. That will help you decide what you really want/need.

Good luck and have fun.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:08:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh yeah, by Heinies I mean Heinie sights.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:02:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Coooooooooooooooool, me llkes that idea!--------------------------------------------I am thinking XSE or GSP!!

GTD
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#12]
One little side note about NRM.  Colt made this change when they re-tooled their plant.  This is when they started making some of the best 1911s in their history.  There is a vast difference between NRM and ORM 1991s.  The NRM 1991s make a great basis for a custom gun, and are ideal for packages like the YoBo 1*, or the Hilton Yam 10-8.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:57:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
One little side note about NRM.  Colt made this change when they re-tooled their plant.  This is when they started making some of the best 1911s in their history.  There is a vast difference between NRM and ORM 1991s.  The NRM 1991s make a great basis for a custom gun, and are ideal for packages like the YoBo 1*, or the Hilton Yam 10-8.  

Sounds good------------Would that (NRM) be current production!-----------If I would buy NIB would I be sure to get (NRM)?  If so is there a way to specfy (NRM) when ordering?-------sorry for all the ques-----------

Thanks for the update info.

GTD
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:04:34 AM EDT
[#14]
ps, 1991 NRM vs XSE any thought?----------------I sure love my "Colt Defender" First shot last night and take home today!  Would love to match that trigger!--

4.25lbs stock and felt like 2.5lbs------very clean break!!------Love to dup this in a 5" Colt!

GTD
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Accept that you need at least one of each. Begin acquisition immediately!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Accept that you need at least one of each. Begin acquisition immediately!

You right!------------picked up my "Defender" today and love it!!-------------------Shoots like a dream, trigger 4.25 lbs, very clean break, recoil is so forgiving, and sights-----WOW------------oh ya, goes bang very time!!------Yes, i'm in love.

ps, no bbl bushing to mess with.

I am a true 1911 fan, and now an owner!------Great to be in the club!

GTD,

now I've got to take her down and clean her well (first time w/1911)
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:27:04 PM EDT
[#17]
NRM is basically slang for current production 1991s.  I've owned a lot of 1991s, and a few XSEs.  As far as which to get, it's strictly a matter of preference.  Neither is really better than the other, at least as a base gun.  If you intend to leave it box stock, I would give the nod to the XSE, as it has a Novak rear sight on it.  The other "upgrades" that you pay for may or may not be worth it to you, but they are a moot point if you intend to send it off to be customized.  

Personally, I don't like XSE's nearly as much as 1991s.  The beavertail points down lower than the stock GI type grip safety, in essence making the gun more difficult to shoot for most.  The undercut at the top of the frontstrap under the triggerguard is just plain ugly.  The "match" trigger is usually poorly fit.  Finally, I like the looks of regualr Colt vertical cocking serrations.  From the standpoint of quality fitting and parts, the XSE and 1991 are even.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I picked up a XSE 2 years ago and it is by far one of my favorite 1911's
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Makes for a tough pick.  I am so happy with the "Defender" at this time I would opt for the model that is closest.  I love the feel and action as well as the trigger and lack of bbl bushing.  I have had best luck with non adj triggers and wonder if that Defender trigger could be a drop in option.-----crazy thoughts --ha ha

Anywho, which model if any would be closest?

Thanks much foe all for the help,
GTD
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:02:14 AM EDT
[#20]
GoldtopDude,
You got it good and that ain't bad! Might have to sell some GoldTops at the rate you are going. Lot's worse things than a 1911 habit. Just don't sell any guitars you can't replace.  AS far as triggers, sometimes you get lucky out of the box, but any 1911 trigger can be brought around by a GOOD  1911 Smith. I would have to agree with Hobbs regarding the NRM 1991 over the XSE. But lot's of folks are happy with the XSEs. Either a NRM or a clean original Series 70 would serve you well for your next move. And you don't know it yet, maybe you do, but you'll need a Commander or 2 as well.Enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I would definitely say that the XSE is much closer to the Defender in features than the 1991.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:09:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
GoldtopDude,
You got it good and that ain't bad! Might have to sell some GoldTops at the rate you are going. Lot's worse things than a 1911 habit. Just don't sell any guitars you can't replace.  AS far as triggers, sometimes you get lucky out of the box, but any 1911 trigger can be brought around by a GOOD  1911 Smith. I would have to agree with Hobbs regarding the NRM 1991 over the XSE. But lot's of folks are happy with the XSEs. Either a NRM or a clean original Series 70 would serve you well for your next move. And you don't know it yet, maybe you do, but you'll need a Commander or 2 as well.Enjoy.

You said it man!---------------------------------------------------I'll not part with any Goldtops!!-----------Thanks for teh heads up on my condition-----ha ha

GTD
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I would definitely say that the XSE is much closer to the Defender in features than the 1991.

Thanks hobbs,

What features are make it a closer match?

GTD
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I really like my Series 70, I made some mods to it though.  The mods weren't necessary, just personal taste.  You will find the more you shoot 1911s the more you will develope your own taste for what you want and what you don't want.  Anyway, here is the thread about mine:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=28&t=20949
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I really like my Series 70, I made some mods to it though.  The mods weren't necessary, just personal taste.  You will find the more you shoot 1911s the more you will develope your own taste for what you want and what you don't want.  Anyway, here is the thread about mine:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=28&t=20949

WOW!------------------------Please sent me one!--------------------whats my payment plan!!!!!

CONGRATS!

GTD
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#26]

)Yost-Bonitz has a 3-4 month wait on 1*'s.

That's what they tell you up front.  

Mine 1*'s coming home this week after eight months.  Not complainin' though.  I suspected the 3 month up front estimate was ... "optimistic".  

Get a series 80 now.  

Save and plan for a fee years and then send it the smith of your choice for the gun of a lifetime.  
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top