Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 8/4/2020 1:25:33 AM EDT
I was contacted by a close friend of my wife who is looking at selling a few guns, including this one, a Colt Officer's Special Revolver .22LR

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I found this on Colt Fever:
The Officer's Model Special, Fourth issue
The Officer's Model Special was Colt's first upgrade post-war.
Post-war Colt began assigning letter codes to frame sizes.  The medium frame as used on the Official Police and Officer's Models was the Colt "E" frame.
The Officer's Model Special was made only from 1949 to 1952
It had an extra heavy, untapered "Bull" barrel and the Coltmaster fully adjustable rear sight that was offered only on this revolver.
A new style hammer was introduced, and the post-war type cylinder retention system was used.  Checkering of the hammer, trigger, and cylinder latch was discontinued.
Calibers were .22LR and .38 Special.
Barrel was 6".
Grips were reddish-brown "Coltwood" Service type plastic.
Finish was blue.
View Quote

Can someone help put a value on this?
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Not an expert on these by any means but something looks off about the sights. Otherwise a decent match model colt.22 revolver like this would run about $750-900 if the sights are correct, and dependent on if original paperwork and box were available
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not an expert on these by any means but something looks off about the sights. Otherwise a decent match model colt.22 revolver like this would run about $750-900 if the sights are correct, and dependent on if original paperwork and box were available
View Quote

The sights are correct, they used 2 different adjustable sights depending on the year.

I'd like to see a better color pic, it almost looks like it was reblued. That affects the value a LOT.

Attachment Attached File

Here is one in .38 special with the same rear sight.

Attachment Attached File

Here is one in .22 with the other rear sight.

Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Just going by the photos, it looks like that Colt has been re-blued.  To a collector, that is going to knock the value down to around $500.  That is being said, just from the two photos & without a hands on evaluation.  And, looking at a couple of photos is not a good way to determine a pistol's condition and value.  What I see are:

a) screw and pin holes look to be slightly dished/washed (result of improper buffing)
b) the line around the lock plate is too readily visible (really stands out) (also caused by improper buffing)
c) the color of the bluing is not quite right (this might be a lighting issue)
d) the trigger is the wrong color (very obvious)

If the bore and lock up are good, it should still be a phenomenal shooter.

MLG
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 10:57:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you everyone.  We appreciate the input.  I will ask her if I can see the gun in person so I can take some pictures myself in better lighting.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#6]
We're talking TWO different Officer's Models.

The Officer's Model Special was only made from 1949 to 1952.
It had the Coltmaster rear sight that was only used a few years in the late 40's to early 50's on some Colt pistols.
In the last year of production the later guns had the famous Colt Target hammer as shown in the first photo.
From 1949 to to near the last production in 1952 the hammer was a grooved, narrow Service type hammer that had a slightly longer spur then a standard Service hammer.

The later model was the Colt Officer's Model Match as shown above.
It had the Colt Accro rear sight that was used on all later Colt pistols including the Python and most automatics.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We're talking TWO different Officer's Models.

The Officer's Model Special was only made from 1949 to 1952.
It had the Coltmaster rear sight that was only used a few years in the late 40's to early 50's on some Colt pistols.
In the last year of production the later guns had the famous Colt Target hammer as shown in the first photo.
From 1949 to to near the last production in 1952 the hammer was a grooved, narrow Service type hammer that had a slightly longer spur then a standard Service hammer.

The later model was the Colt Officer's Model Match as shown above.
It had the Colt Accro rear sight that was used on all later Colt pistols including the Python and most automatics.
View Quote

Finally an expert shows up!

All of the markings seem intact, doesn't look like a refinish, what do you think?
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#8]
If you want a .22 revolver that will almost certainly out shoot any .22 revolver and most .22 autos made today, that would be a smart choice.

I don't even try to keep up on values, but that one looks very good from the photos.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:55:03 AM EDT
[#9]
She brought the gun over so I took close up pictures with a camera.  Maybe someone can tell us if it's been refinished.
Curiously the muzzle is in the white.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry I'm late for this........

I don't think it's been reblued.

From the early-50's to the later 50's Colt used a "Dual-Tone" blued finish.
The edges of the frame and the flutes in the cylinder had a bead blasted flat black finish, with the outer diameter of the cylinder and the sides of the frame polished blue.
On these models the muzzle was left 'in the white'.

Sorry I don't have an estimate of value, but you can get a good ballpark price on the Colt Forum......

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/forum.php
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 8:35:19 PM EDT
[#12]
FishKepr,  you or the owner really need to take it in and have it hands on evaluated by someone in the know.  No-one is going to be able to make a proper evaluation on line with photos.  The lighting and resolution just isn't there.  The value depends on a proper assessment that simply can't be done in here.

One person may see things that are not really there while others may not see things that are.  The only solution is a hands on inspection by an expert.  If in perfect condition, a documented evaluation will cost around $50.  If there are problems, a good evaluator will tell you what it is and not charge you anything.

That is a fairly scarce variation.  In premium condition and to a serious collector, it is worth well in excess of $1500.  Re-done, its down around $500.  A huge difference for someone that may need the cash.

With all that said, I think I see issues but sincerely hope that I am wrong and very well may be.  Once again, this from looking at less than ideal photos online.

Good Luck,
MLG
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#13]
The muzzle is supposed to be white.  That is factory correct.

Gun in OP is an Officers Model Special.  Sights are correct, Coltwood (plastic) stocks are correct.  It was offered on .22 and .38.  The target hammer is a somewhat unusual factory option and came later in production.  Most had standard hammers.  The rear sight was called the Coltmaster and was also found on the Woodsman of the period (late 1940’s - early 1950’s).

Nice gun.

Link Posted: 9/25/2020 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The sights are correct, they used 2 different adjustable sights depending on the year.

I'd like to see a better color pic, it almost looks like it was reblued. That affects the value a LOT.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32224/IMG_1285__1__JPG-1533068.JPG

Here is one in .38 special with the same rear sight.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32224/IMG_2210_JPG-1533073.JPG

Here is one in .22 with the other rear sight.

View Quote

Bottom gun is an Officers Model Match.  Different model all together.  Also the stocks were modified by someone or are aftermarket.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I like it.

My late uncle by marriage had this gun in matching .22 and .38 Special, one for target practice and one foe self defense. He was a crack shot with any firearm, long or handgun. They vanished after his death, as things have a tendency to do.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top