Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 7:37:45 AM EDT
I have a P99 in .40 with three factory magazines. I would like to pick up some range mags so I don't have to unload my carry ammo every time I want to go shooting. $40 is too much for me to pay for range mags so the question is are any of the aftermarket, i.e. Promag, products any good? I can get 10 round .40 Promags for $17. TIA.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I have not heard good things about Promag. YMMV
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a ProMag for my 9mm and it doesn't even feed ball ammo reliably. The pit tends to wedge under the feed ramp. I haven't spent any time messing with the mag lips to try and get it reliable, but so far I haven't gone through a full mag load without one failure to feed with it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:42:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a couple Promag mags for my Glock 19.  After loading about 10 rounds, the damn things would start spitting out of the top of the mag.  I didn't even bother to try them in the gun.  They were absolute garbage and waste of money no matter how cheap.  Always buy "factory" mags.  

Here's a link to one on gunbroker.  It's still about $40, but atleast it's a factory 12 rd mag.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=35882823  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:24:24 AM EDT
[#4]
You can get factory 10 rounders for around $20 sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a P99 in .40 with three factory magazines. I would like to pick up some range mags so I don't have to unload my carry ammo every time I want to go shooting. $40 is too much for me to pay for range mags so the question is are any of the aftermarket, i.e. Promag, products any good? I can get 10 round .40 Promags for $17. TIA.

I got some promags for my 9mm P99 and the gun wouldn't go to slide-lock with them. I took them apart and they were filled with this gunk that looked like conditioner (for hair) - I cleaned them out completely, bent the spring up further under the front part of the follower and now they work so-so (goes to slide lock about 80% of the time now). Since then I've picked up a half dozen factory mags, so I only use the promags as barney mags.

I also have two .40 highcaps because WaltherUSA sent me the wrong mags on their "get two free highcaps" deal just after the ban went away. I haven't decided yet wether I should just sell them, or buy another Walther in .40.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 9mm P99. I got a cheap Beretta 92 mag a a gun show ( I have a 92 as well) and used a dremel to put a new mag catch hole in it to match the location of the Walther mag Catch.

The geometry on the mag is either identical or close enough, because it will feed with no problems what so ever.

I did cut the hole a little too high and the slide wont lock back on an empty mag. But If I hold Factory beretta mags in the well, it will feed and lock back flawlessly.

If you are looking for cheap range mags and dont mind them not fitting flush in the gun, try this. it was a $12 mag and 5 min on a dremel.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a couple of P99 Promags and they are merely adequate. They usually work, but I have had some feeding problems with them. The funny thing is that they are supposed to be 15 rnd mags and one holds 13 and the holds 14.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Little confused about the mag situation for the P99.

Mine came w/ 10+1 but it's labeled to hold 12 (but the 12th will NOT go in).  I read on one mag site that there are 12 "pre-bans" and they cost like $120 or something outrageous.

Well, the new factory 10 rounds.. is that 10+1 or 9+1?  I ordered 2 and they should be here soon but just thought I'd ask.  If it's 10+1 and it has a "12 hole" (but you can only put in 10+1,  then could you not open the mag, and modify it so that the 12th round would go in?   Or would you be breaking the law by doing so?

Also while we're on the topic of p99 .40 mags, any way to get one of those beretta 34 shot mags to work w/ .40?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:57:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh man I think I just lucked out...

first off, my mag that came with my p99 is a pre-ban 12 rounder.  I was able to get the 12th one in easy with my standard rounds.  The hollowpoints too--before I just didn't want to push that hard.

AND the mags a certain store shipped me were pre-ban 12 rounds and I ordered 10 rounders lol.

So I just saved like $160 by a store's mistake.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#10]
never hand any good luck with just about any aftermarket mag for p99's. I have both the 40 cal and the 9mm version.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:13:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top