Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2008 5:46:57 PM EDT
Today I put money down on a blued PT1911 w/rail.I got it for $600 before tax. From first inspection everything seems tight and well put together. I bought this as its a 1911 w/rail I can use for HD.

Now my experience with the PT1911 is when they first came out. It fed 50% of ball and 0% of HP ammo with 3 different high-end magazines.The blueing came off like it was put on with a sharpie marker.I sold it long ago. I can't help but notice that more people are having good luck with them which has got me thinking that my PT1911 could of been kooky because it was from the first batch.

My PT1911 I handled today seems better made than my original and my next comments are comparing the two. The trigger guard and front strap checkering is done better and is not as sharp where it marks up my hand. The finish looks better and does not come off on my hand when I handle it.The slide has a better fit on the back where the slide meets the frame and is very smooth. I am changing out the guide rod of the PT1911 for a standard plug/rod combo as is my preference.

I currently own a Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec that I've done custom work to. I also have a stainless Kimber UCII. Both have run 100% reliable with all types of ammo.

Here ar my concerns now with the PT1911:

-Safety coming loose or breaking. I can fit a new one myself with a single sided safety though. If its just the grips holding the safety in the right side then I already have a set of Hogue Palm Swell grips I shaved back for my original PT1911.If its more than the grips I will replace the safety.

-Hammer follow. I'd really rather avoid an AD or a FA 1911 going off at the range just by racking the slide or firing the gun.This would be double scary if this were to happen in my home. I read a few forums of the sear being poorly fitted and I'm wondering if this should be changed right away concerning the AD and FA.

-Grip safety. I've read that the grip safety is also poorly fitted.

-Hammer lock.I've read the hammer lock causes a malfunction that freezes up the action. I don't want my hammer locking up the gun at the wrong time.

I know some people have had no problems with any of the above. However since this gun will be used for HD once it proves itself, I don't want any failures to happen that will make it a $600 club.I also know just to go shoot it and see what happens. I tell people the same advice but many of my concerns have happened to people with-in the first 50-100rds and are problems with the gun that could cause problems for me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#1]
i have one, it works just as reliably as my colt and SA.  I don't think you took a chance

edit for grammar
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 12:46:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I own one and could not be happier with it.  The Taurus PT-1911 is an excellent gun for the money.  

You took no chance on buying a quality 1911.  Taurus makes a good product.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 1:02:33 AM EDT
[#3]
So I'm guessing niether one of you have had a single problem so far?
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#4]
No problems with mine.  Several hundred rounds, assorted factory and reloads.  Had it for over a year now. Decent trigger, better than expected accuracy, perfect reliability.  Finish is weak, but generally holding up.  

Still the best value in the 1911 market.  

The hammer lock is essentially a screw in the hammer.  Requires a half turn to activate.  Can't see how it could malfunction and I've never heard of any problems with it.  Most other problems seem just part of the 1911, most brands in this price range can exhibit them.  Remember this is an entry level platform, not a custom Les Baer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 11:32:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
No problems with mine.  Several hundred rounds, assorted factory and reloads.  Had it for over a year now. Decent trigger, better than expected accuracy, perfect reliability.  Finish is weak, but generally holding up.  

Still the best value in the 1911 market.  

The hammer lock is essentially a screw in the hammer.  Requires a half turn to activate.  Can't see how it could malfunction and I've never heard of any problems with it.  Most other problems seem just part of the 1911, most brands in this price range can exhibit them.  Remember this is an entry level platform, not a custom Les Baer.

Well my concerns are not regular 1911 problems. For one the thumb safety falling off or breaking is a common issue. Not so common but I have heard of it way more than once is hammer follow because of the sear. I have also read a few stories of the hammer lock causing it to freeze and many people have replaced the hammer because they don't want it to happen. I'm more than likely going to change out the safety,sear and hammer right away and sleep better for it. I know the PT1911 is not a top of the line model. I know their list of prices for parts in their magazine ads are a joke. I know since I custom modified my SA Mil-Spec with almost all parts listed on their ad with 90% Wilson Combat parts and it did'nt nearly cost as much. I'd rather change parts myself than send it to Taurus and guess how long it will take to get back. Hopfully I'll get a good one but there will always be that doubt until certain parts are changed. Thanks for the replies and I'm glad to see people are having good luck with them, I hope I will to.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:51:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a "first batch" pt1911 and use it for USPSA. Over 8,000 rounds later and I have not had a single part break and have had only TWO FTE/FTF out of that 8,000 rounds. I feed it everything, SWC's, HP's, ball, and it all runs smooth. The finish is coming off from the constant holstering and re holstering of USPSA and practice.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:59:48 AM EDT
[#7]
If you bought the gun new, send it in!  I don't know about their lifetime repair policy for non-orignal owners.  I had a PT 92 that developed a problem, I did NOT buy it new, and they took care of it for me.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:00:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Let me tell you my story about my PT1911, I bought it brand new for $540 with the rail out the door (win)! I then proceeded to take it to the range where I ran Blazer, Remington and WWB through it to a total of 500rnds. The only problems I had were 2 FTE with the Remington, in the firsst 100 rnds that I fired( Ripped the case). The last 100 rounds were a speed check where I would just run through them as fast as I can as I had alread checked accuracy, weak hand etc. I had zero problems with this test and it actually got so hot that the heat was transfering down into the trigger area and it was getting hard to hold, granted it wa 110 in south Texas as well(win). Any way I had to leave with it still locked open and cool it down in my truck before I could put it up and reduce the smile on my face (win)! Since then I have put another 1,000 rounds or so through it with no problems.

Oh yeah also have a PT92 with over 4K through it of all types and I have had exactly 0 problems with it at all!(win)
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I love mine. No problems at all and I carry it daily.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I had to send back a few PT1911s for customers. Maybe 30% of the ones we sold.

Many other Taurus products as well. Such as the 85 that the barrel fell off of.

And Taurus CS takes forever and they are not especially communicative.

I owned a PT92 and it jammed.

I'd rather spend a little more and not have to worry about whether I could trust the gun.

But hey, to each their own.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine runs like a top except the rear sight came loose.  I just used some lock-tite and retorqued the screw and no more problem.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I should at, my (non pt1911) Taurus problem was, I believe, caused by user misuse (me) and they fixed it without question.  The turnaround time was great.  My experience was Taurus CS was very different from 87's.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#13]

-Safety coming loose or breaking. I can fit a new one myself with a single sided safety though. If its just the grips holding the safety in the right side then I already have a set of Hogue Palm Swell grips I shaved back for my original PT1911.If its more than the grips I will replace the safety

Mine broke when my tuner was working on my trigger. He put in a single sided one and looked really sad when he told me. I smiled, picked it up and thanked him. I hated the two sided one!! The trigger job he gave it was superb.  Win, win for me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

-Safety coming loose or breaking. I can fit a new one myself with a single sided safety though. If its just the grips holding the safety in the right side then I already have a set of Hogue Palm Swell grips I shaved back for my original PT1911.If its more than the grips I will replace the safety

Mine broke when my tuner was working on my trigger. He put in a single sided one and looked really sad when he told me. I smiled, picked it up and thanked him. I hated the two sided one!! The trigger job he gave it was superb.  Win, win for me.

He shouldn't feel bad. One of my customers PT1911s lost the right side safety before he ever shot it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:42:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Well I will be picking up my Taurus PT1911 later today. I already have a single sided safety and standard plug/rod on order. I will more than likely test out the Taurus at the range with stock parts and then upgrade with a set of these: www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=1911DI
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 12:49:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Well I picked it up. I tore it down, cleaned it, lubed it and cycled some snap-caps through it about 100 times with Taurus, Chip McCormick clone, Wilson and a Wolff magazine. Everything functioned fine and is way more than I can say compared to my first Taurus that jammed even with snap-caps. The checkering on the front of the frame and under the trigger guard is alot less pronounced and is quite comfortable compared to my first Taurus which felt like spikes digging into my hand.

I also changed the grips to some Hogue Palm Swells I had from my last Taurus that I modified to accept the ambi safety.  I will change the guide rod/plug to a standard set-up. Now I just need to take it to the range. So far it seems to be made much better than my first experience. I don't want to get my hopes up though until a trip to the range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top