Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2005 1:50:41 PM EDT
A friend of mine is considering one of these, and for whatever reason, he's asking me my thoughts on the decision...  I know very little about the Taurus lineup, so I figured I'd ask around here for feedback.  Any consructive responses welcome.  What he's looking for is a carry gun, comfortable, reliable, etc.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:04:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I purchased a PT140SSP Millenium Pro a few months ago for a carry weapon. The first time I fired the weapon, it was a little awkward because I was use to my GLock 21 (45ACP). The Taurus' feel is very pleasing. The balance is wonderful. The .40 S&W  that I have has a little bit of recoil to deal with because of its compact size, but it is otherwise great to shoot. I paid $395 for mine.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the pt145 mil pro version. Love it. 11 rounds of 45. make sure he gets the Pro version only

steve
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have the pt145 mil pro version. Love it. 11 rounds of 45. make sure he gets the Pro version only

steve

Dumb question, what's the difference between Pro and not?  I poked around on their home site, but didn't see much on that.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:43:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the PT-111 and the 111 Pro. The Pro, at least in 9mm, has an improved slide and trigger, and higher capacity mags std.

Dunno about the 145 tho.

That said, both guns are very nice - I carry the 111 pro every day, and it's accurate and completely reliable, eats everything and it's ergonomically very nice for a pistol its size. Seeing as nothing in its class holds 12+1, and costs under $300, I'd say its the best carry gun out there, IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:27:30 AM EDT
[#5]
The difference between the standard Millinium and the Pro are pretty extreme in my opinion.  The Pro has a flush magazine magazine which if nothing is much more attractive than the orignal.  The slides have seen dramatic improvements over the original from the firing controls to overall construction quality.  I've also "heard" but never seen that the originals have some serious problems with frame rails seperating from the frame.  My father and my best friend both own Pro's one in 9mm and one in .40 and they are both excellent shooters.  The 9mm has a tendency to not extract sometimes, but this pistol has also only seen about 200 rounds since its birth.  I told him it would probably cure itself after the recoil spring has some time to lose some stiffness.

One thing to remember is that original mags to not fit into the Pro pistols so make sure you never make that mistake "we did"

The only other thing I could do without on them is that sights are pretty blocky.  This is good for fast sight pisture, however it leads to big groups (for me anyways)

hope this helps you with your decision.

cheers

"edited cuz I can't type"
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#6]

I carry a Taurus pt-140 every day. You will hear a lot of negative comments about the trigger pull and the old frame problem. These problems are real but not as common as you might think. The trigger pull is long and when the gun is new its also gritty. I love the fact that it has a safety... And 11 rounds of .40 caliber goodness in a very small package.....Friggin' rocks.

Jake
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:38:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
... One thing to remember is that original mags to not fit into the Pro pistols so make sure you never make that mistake "we did" ...

Just a heads up to anyone that has the Millennium PT111 (not Pro).  CDNN (www.cdnnsports.com) has a closeout sale on the PT111 Taurus factory 10 round, 9mm magazines for $15.  Their website has them for $20, but they just had an ad in the Shotgun News with the $15 price.  You probably have to call to get the lower price.

The Taurus site lists them at $32 and my local gunstore had a couple in stock for $40+.  I like to give the local shop my business, but the markup was a little steep.  I ordered three of them from CDNN and with shipping it came to about $55.

I have one early Millennium PT111 (9mm) which I bought used about 5 years ago for CCW.  Other than the long heavy trigger pull which takes a little getting used to it's been a great gun.  Accurate enough for CCW, small enough to carry everyday, and more importantly 100% reliable.

I to have "heard" about the frame rails separating from frame after a few 10,000 rounds, but realistically this is not a target pistol that you will want to shoot 10,000 rounds.  The gun is light and the recoil is sharp, but not uncontrollable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top