Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/1/2011 3:26:13 PM EDT
I've been looking around at revolvers and I am in a bit of a quandry.

I see a Smith/Wesson and then I see the price tag.

I see a Taurus and then I see the price tag.

So I got to google and do my research and everyone says buy a smith, the smith has a better trigger/finish/service etc.  I don't buy a revolver for its 4 lb trigger pull.  That's my $2000 1911 hi cap.

And then i remember my math and I can buy TWO taurus revolvers (taurii?) for 1 smith.  And what it really comes down to for me is:

1) Will the gun go bang every time I pull the trigger?
2) Will the gun go bang after I've pulled the trigger on 50,000 rounds.
Models I'm looking at: Small 357s/38 specials,  Medium 357/44 spc mag
I'm not buying a safe gun or a hand me down, can I trust a Taurus revolver for defense.  I'm a fat man who has trouble concealing a semi-auto in hot climate, so looking for a pocket pistol.  Not comfortable with anything less than 38+p, prefer 357.  

Will it hold up to 20 years of wear and tear and practice?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't trust my life to a Taurus. If you are worried about money look for a used J-Frame.

I got a model 637 used for $269
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I cant say 20 years but I have carried a Tarus Model 85 DAO for just over 10yrs I would highly recomend it, as i've had no issiues or complaints with it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Tried two of them an 85 iirc and a 905, both had problems going bang five times in a row.

Not being able to afford a S&W is not a reason to carry a Taurus imho.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I wouldn't trust my life to a Taurus. If you are worried about money look for a used J-Frame.

Where do  you find deals like that?  I would totally spring for that.  I have no problem with used, it just seems "used" in my area is just as bad as NEW.  

I can afford a smith and wesson, but I'd rather buy a glock/xd/etc.  It would be nice to have a revolver carry piece but at some of those prices ($600-800), my money is best spent elsewhere.  THat's the problem I'm having.  I got my model 629 for $500 a few years ago..now adays S&W prices have gone nuts.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing wrong with Taurus.  Only snobs who put their value on firearms in other places
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where do  you find deals like that?  I would totally spring for that.  I have no problem with used, it just seems "used" in my area is just as bad as NEW.  

I can afford a smith and wesson, but I'd rather buy a glock/xd/etc.  It would be nice to have a revolver carry piece but at some of those prices ($600-800), my money is best spent elsewhere.  THat's the problem I'm having.  I got my model 629 for $500 a few years ago..now adays S&W prices have gone nuts.

Hoffman's They had two at the time for the same price. Few years back though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I know several people who own multiple models of Taurus firearms.....and I don't know any who have had a problem with them.  I can tell you that I did have to send back my brand new Dan Wesson CBOB to have it serviced because it has some issues right out of the box....and it cost a lot more than any Taurus......so don't think that an expensive gun is always going to = a more reliable gun.

I love my Taurus PT1911.....I've only had it for a little while, but I've ran over 500 rounds of cheap WWB and lead bullet reloads through it without a single issue.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Truck gone everyday carry no problems
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got two that I carry regularly - a PT-709 9mm and a PT-145 .45ACP. Good guns at a good price - I've got no qualms about counting on them in a SHTF moment.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an early 90's vintage model 85 that has been good so far. I will admit it gets carried a lot more than it gets shot though.

Shotgun News used to be a good source for deals on used guns. (may still be) Don't overlook the Ruger revolvers either. Older Single Six and Speed Six revolvers are good guns as are the newer GP100's.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes I would trust my life to my PT709.

Stupid a$$ keltec PF9 no way. Gave up on it and the taurus replaced it. So far it has worked flawlessly. Became my new CCW carry.

No malfunctions, goes bang every time.  Would buy an extra extractor though just in case.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I have never had any problems with either of my Taurus revolvers even after thousands of rounds, and yes I have carried both, and trust them as much as any of my other carry guns.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#13]
What is your life worth?  Keep looking until you find a S&W you can afford. I have not owned too many Taurii, but none of the ones I've had would function 100%.

Last summer Sporting Arms had a bunch of Brinks Security trade in Model 64's for $200.
They are out there, just gotta work to find them.

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:23:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What is your life worth?  ............SNIP

Ask any scumbag on the street and he will tell you $20 dollars and my watch.   So Taurus would be well worth more than my life.  

I'm curious if this implies that if you carry a Smith Wesson Custom Shop $3,000 dollar revolver that your life is only worth $3,000 ?
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 7:58:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Let me see if I can summarize the ssentiment.  If you find a good workong Taurus, chances are it will perform just as functional as any other pistol. The issue is the chance of finding a good Taurus vs. a good smith is Taurus has more lemons.

In other words a good taurus is just as reliable as a good smith. Its just harder to find a good taurus.

I think it may be worth it to evaluate a taurus.  Maybe not for ccw right away. But z at least give them a hearing
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn't trust ANY gun until it made me trust it.

Price and brand have nothing to do with it.

Heck I have an old Bersa 383-A .380 that I paid $250 for 15 years ago.  I can't remember it ever having a FTF or FTE.

With these composite sub compacts, every manufacturer lets a few lemons get out so shoot it often until you are sure you can rely on it.  

My taurus PT709 (this is my first Taurus) has been great so far. No complaints at all.
Link Posted: 2/3/2011 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I have 4 Taurus revolvers. 1 I've carried as a primary CCW for around 20 years .. and 1 I carried as a primaty duty weapon for security & armored car duty.

None of these have ever had a problem .. ever. All have fired EVERY time I've pulled the trigger.  

I trust my life TOTALLY with any of my Taurus weapons. I do, however, agree with the theroy they gotta make you trust em.

Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 2/3/2011 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Semi auto- No way.
Revolver- maybe

Brand new 9MM Millienium Pro; 2 trips to Taurus, months later and my wifes Taurus still wasnt fixed. Ended up paying a gunsmith to repair it right.Still dont trust it.

Taurus 82; no issues

I'm always attracted to Taurus for their designs and price, but move on. I'll save a little more cash and buy another brand for peace of mind. As another said; Taurus hasnt made me trust them.
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I wouldn't trust ANY gun until it made me trust it.

Price and brand have nothing to do with it.

Heck I have an old Bersa 383-A .380 that I paid $250 for 15 years ago.  I can't remember it ever having a FTF or FTE.

With these composite sub compacts, every manufacturer lets a few lemons get out so shoot it often until you are sure you can rely on it.  

My taurus PT709 (this is my first Taurus) has been great so far. No complaints at all.

I believe these to be the words of a wise and practical man. I personally carry a Charter Arms that I paid a whopping $275 for and it works perfectly. I also have a number of "lesser" brand guns (Taurus, Astra, Star) that have proven themselves to be 100% reliable. Though there is great merit to purchasing a high quality handgun (and I endorse this whenever possible), any firearm that has PROVEN it's individual reliability should fit the bill adaquately.
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a taurus 1911, 1000 rounds through and not a single jam or other malfunction. I trust my life to it and it is my home defense gun because I am most proficient with it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yes I would trust my life to my PT709.

Stupid a$$ keltec PF9 no way. Gave up on it and the taurus replaced it. So far it has worked flawlessly. Became my new CCW carry.

No malfunctions, goes bang every time.  Would buy an extra extractor though just in case.

+++++++++++100

Link Posted: 2/5/2011 4:09:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Yes, my wife and I each carry a Taurus every day. I have a 3rd gen PT-145 and she has a 3rd gen PT-111. Each has thousands of rounds through them. Not a single problem with either. They go bang every time and hit what we are aiming at everytime. I also have a 3in Taurus 605 revolver that shoots very very well and it is a backup to my PT-145. I just got a PT-92 recently and for a 16 year old gun I'll say it is the most accurate smooth shooting 9mm I have ever shot. It has the safety in the right place(unlike the Beretta 92 that has it on the slide)
I love to read all the Taurus bashers out there. Geez there has to be hundreds of them, What I really like is that Taurus has shipped 10's of thousands pistols and all you hear about are the same people complaining about the same gun on the same forums. Every mfg has some guns that aren't made well. I have read stories about Glocks, Smith's, Colts and Sig's too. What really gripes people is that they payed so much for brand X and the people with Taurus weapons got good weapons for alot less then they paid. When Taurus introduced the Judge everyone was impressed. Even Smith and Wesson was so impressed that they have released their version of the very same pistol this year.  Taurus got their major start with the old Smith tooling in Brazil. When Beretta moved out they bought that tooling too. Taurus makes a good weapon. Their new designs are pushing the envelope and making the other gun mfg step up their efforts too. So just remember when you read the Taurus bashers that they are the outspoken minority and that there are thousands of happy Taurus owners laughing at the naysayers all the way to the shooting range.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I carried a Model 65 for along time, I think I bought it in 1993 or there abouts.  Only put 500 rounds through it but it was as tight as it was brand new, which was tight. I traded it for a PT709 which will be my carry gun once i get a few hundred more rounds through it and a holster.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 1:23:45 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a Taurus pt111. I also have a glock 27. The glock has jammed before. The Taurus has never jammed. I carry the Taurus confidently.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 1:52:46 AM EDT
[#25]

No
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 3:39:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Yes.  Back to the gun store for a refund.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 9:37:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No

Which model, and when was it manufactured?
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask any scumbag on the street and he will tell you $20 dollars and my watch.   So Taurus would be well worth more than my life.  

I'm curious if this implies that if you carry a Smith Wesson Custom Shop $3,000 dollar revolver that your life is only worth $3,000 ?

If a Taurus is $100 less than a S&W or a Glock or whatever QUALITY FIREARM ... is your life worth the $100 difference?

Link Posted: 2/7/2011 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a Taurus is $100 less than a S&W or a Glock or whatever QUALITY FIREARM ... is your life worth the $100 difference?

You're arguing the wrong point. Any gun, regardless of price is useless if it hasn't proven itself 100% reliable. If a $250 Taurus has PROVEN itself reliable, why wouldn't it be a viable carry option?  If a $650 S&W has proven unreliable, should I still carry it because I paid more for it (because my life is surely worth it!)? Higher cost has never been a guarantee of reliability or perfection and only individual testing of ANY firearm will reveal if it is worthy of consideration for protection.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']
You're arguing the wrong point. Any gun, regardless of price is useless if it hasn't proven itself 100% reliable. If a $250 Taurus has PROVEN itself reliable, why wouldn't it be a viable carry option?  If a $650 S&W has proven unreliable, should I still carry it because I paid more for it (because my life is surely worth it!)? Higher cost has never been a guarantee of reliability or perfection and only individual testing of ANY firearm will reveal if it is worthy of consideration for protection.

+1

Search for S&W problems and you will see that even high priced guns have issues.  

Even glock (gasp!) has suffered from structural problems.
http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/problems.html

Bottom line, shoot it to trust it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#31]

I would

Link Posted: 2/11/2011 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#32]

I  have two, a 605 snub nose that's been perfect and would swear by it any day.

My 709 slim had horrible issues when I first got it.  No way I would trust it.  

Sent it off and got it back working.   Still wouldn't carry it initially.   After I put in 1200 trouble free rounds over the course of a month or so I decided I could carry it.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 8:54:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Every NIB Taurus revolver I've handled has had its timing slightly to severely off. Every NIB and used S&W or Ruger revolver I've handled/owned has a vault like lock-up.

I don't care what the load is in this video, the barrel would not fly off a Ruger or S&W. Damage to cylinder and top strap yes, barrel flying off, no.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vftq9hNpvBc
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#34]
I carry a Ruger SP101 so never thought outside that for a revolver.  But have seen plenty and wouldn't hesitate to carry them.  I do carry my PT1911 in the winter.  I just bought another PT92 today because I had prescribed to the belief the one I had wasn't good enough.  Got a Beretta and it wasn't reliable.  Sold the Beretta and am back to the PT92.  The last one went to several combat pistol classes and not only performed without an issue, but also made tighter groups than some of my other handguns do under similar classes.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#35]
I carry a PT111 Pro!

Bought it several years ago and fired over 3,000 rnds thru it without one FTF, SP or any other problem. Its fired for every person that has shot it and for now this is my primary carry gun. Just because the price tag is lower than most doesn't mean anything, with proper care these guns are very reliable..

Just my .02 cents!
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I own and carry two Taurus .357 Magnums for warm weather.  The snubby, a Taurus 617, has had more rounds fired through it than any other centerfire handgun I own.  She runs well and always goes bang.  Boringly reliable.  What more do you want?

I also own and carry S&W wheelguns for cold weather carry.  Bought them used at nice prices.  I have better things to blow $1,000 on than marketing hype and snobbery.  But even then, I did NOT carry them until I had removed the onboard locks.  Unlike Taurus, the S&W onboard lock can INSTANTLY turn your "heirloom quality gun" into a useless hunk of metal at ANY time.  That might just get the "heirloom" inherited by your heirs a lot faster if it happens when it matters.

Buying a brand new S&W revolver with the lock is LITERALLY paying more for less.  Buy a used pre-lock version or buy used and remove the lock.  Your life is worth more than what their lawyers demanded with that STUPID, STUPID LOCK.

As with any gun, shoot it a lot before trusting your life to it.  Better to buy a $500 gun and $500 worth of range ammo to burn through than to buy a $1000 gun and never practice with it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes.  I have owned 2 Taurii:  a .357 Magnum that I bought used from a pawn shop (First pistol purchased after I turned 21) and a Taurus Tracker .44 Magnum.  I had no issues with either.  Sold both for financial issues but wish I still owned them.

Revolvers, as a general rule that is most certainly not ironclad or indisputable, are less likely to have malfunctions.  

Not even sure why the bashers are in the Taurus section, other than to hate.  There are many quality revolver manufacturers out there, and all companies/models have lemons.  Some folks do think more $$$ spent means more reliability, I disagree with that.

I love Ruger and Taurus and have never had issues with either and will continue to buy them rather than the more expensive pistols out there as I have had nothing but good experience with them and see no reason to spend the extra money for the higher priced brands.
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yes.  I have owned 2 Taurii:  a .357 Magnum that I bought used from a pawn shop (First pistol purchased after I turned 21) and a Taurus Tracker .44 Magnum.  I had no issues with either.  Sold both for financial issues but wish I still owned them.

Revolvers, as a general rule that is most certainly not ironclad or indisputable, are less likely to have malfunctions.  

Not even sure why the bashers are in the Taurus section, other than to hate.  There are many quality revolver manufacturers out there, and all companies/models have lemons.  Some folks do think more $$$ spent means more reliability, I disagree with that.

I love Ruger and Taurus and have never had issues with either and will continue to buy them rather than the more expensive pistols out there as I have had nothing but good experience with them and see no reason to spend the extra money for the higher priced brands.

Very well put and I agree

Link Posted: 2/13/2011 7:55:24 PM EDT
[#39]
I would, and have carried a Taurus...but I'd rather not.   And if you're looking for something to last 20 years of heavy use, you're barking up the wrong tree.
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Seems most people who won't carry one are more concerned with the name than the gun.
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#41]
I do.  I am.  Taurus 85 stainless.  I have carried it for over 10 years.  

I bought a Chief's special in a divorce deal for $125 and owned it at the same time.  Trigger pull was identical, same with accuracy.  You can hit a B27 target at 50 yards if you concentrate.

By comparison, the Chief had less luster and had mill marks over a large portion of the gun.  I traded the Chief back in the same divorce deal for a $900 refrigerator.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2011 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm skinny and my PT-92 is a large frame, but if I could effectively conceal it, yes. I've never had any jams and I feel pretty confident with it.

My coworker carries a 738 TCP, and it performed fine in the CCW class we took. As far as I know, he hasn't had any problems with it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#43]
I carried my PT99 daily since 1986, and fired it often at the range...never a single issue. I used factory branded Taurus mags, Mec-Gar and ProMag's as well, and they all worked just fine.
2 years ago, I started carrying a Gen 3 PT145 Mil Pro, and to date, have not had any issues...not one. I also have and shoot a 24/7 OSS in .45acp and the ONLY issue I have had with it was a bad magazine follower on one of the 12 mags I have for it, and I fixed that myself. I am only using Taurus branded mags in these two.
I also occasionally carry a TCP .380 in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster, I have had 1 ejection issue with that one, and it was when I was ejecting an un-fired round to clear the weapon, so a friend could take a look at it, not a firing malfunction. I only have the 2 factory mags for this one.
I can and do trust my life to all 4 of these weapons.

Link Posted: 2/24/2011 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Didn't work out too well for Jerry Seinfeld in Pulp Fiction now, did it?
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes, Carried a Mod. 85 stainless off and on with a 1911 Colt.
The Taurus is now a car/truck backup gun and a LCP has taken it's place in the rotation.

The 85 has between 700-1K rounds through it and has never had a FTF.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I carried my PT99 daily since 1986, and fired it often at the range...never a single issue. I used factory branded Taurus mags, Mec-Gar and ProMag's as well, and they all worked just fine.

2 years ago, I started carrying a Gen 3 PT145 Mil Pro, and to date, have not had any issues...not one. I also have and shoot a 24/7 OSS in .45acp and the ONLY issue I have had with it was a bad magazine follower on one of the 12 mags I have for it, and I fixed that myself. I am only using Taurus branded mags in these two.

I also occasionally carry a TCP .380 in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster, I have had 1 ejection issue with that one, and it was when I was ejecting an un-fired round to clear the weapon, so a friend could take a look at it, not a firing malfunction. I only have the 2 factory mags for this one.

I had this same issue. What brand of ammo was it? Mine was speer gold dots. I also use the Desantis Nemesis. My gun is currently in Miami because of a mag catch issue, I wish they would hurry and send it back.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#47]
i own 4 glocks, 5 colt 1911s , s&w model 19 and many many more and i carry a pt145 pro 90% of the time trust it with my life. shots and likes black talons.never had any problems with it or any of my other quality firearms. i have had my concealed carry permit for  21yrs and always had at least one taurus on it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 5:47:21 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had this same issue. What brand of ammo was it? Mine was speer gold dots. I also use the Desantis Nemesis. My gun is currently in Miami because of a mag catch issue, I wish they would hurry and send it back.

It was Winchester Ranger 95 GR T-Series. I have not been able to reproduce this though. I suspect that I either did not give it a good pull on the slide, OR, the round is longer than the ejection port with the projectile still seated in the casing, and it just did not clear coming out. But like I said, I have not been able to cause it to happen a second time.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#49]
I carry my PT1911 from time to time.  Have at least two friends that carry the compact nine (I forget the model number).  And we all have other things we can carry.  

I've never had any trouble with the three Taurus' I've owned.  I won't say its my first choice, but I'm happy with mine.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Nothing wrong with Taurus.  Only snobs who put their value on firearms in other places

You don't know so much about these handguns as you think you do. I've owned 3 of them, a M85s 38spl, a 44spl snubnose and a 6".357mag. All three were unreliable. The 44 was so unreliable, "though factory new" it would only fire about 75% of the time. The other two had different problems that aren't worth discussing because these guns ARE NOT WORTH BETTING YOUR LIFE ON", A local gun dealer I like won't even carry them because of all the returns he has had to make and he states the autos are worse than the revolvers.
I've owned more than 30 hand guns, at least 10 of them have been Ruger's and not a one of them ever needed any sort of repair, all have been 100% reliable so guess what I carry?
I know there's a lot of Smith lover's out there and I don't look down on their choice of carry guns, but Taurus's, don't make me laugh. Oh yeah, Ruger's make a fine bludgeoning weapon when they run out of ammo too!  JMOFWIW
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top