Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2006 1:45:01 PM EDT
I am thinking of carrying a Sig 229 with me backpacking for taking care of any aggressive critters. My backpack has the waist strap so one that attaches to the belt is out of the question. Any ideas?

Has anyone walked any distance with a drop leg holster?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I've walked several miles with a Mil-Spec Bianchi with the standard drop leg adaptor and leg strap. It was pretty comfortable as long as I kept the leg strap tight so the pistol wouldn't flop around.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:59:41 AM EDT
[#2]
(IMHO) I like Safariland Accumolds (Strong hand side) w/ a thumb break...
But, I would likely use a differant handgun for the purpose you suggested;
more likely a "Light" & dependable magnum revolver of some sort - combo loaded,
w/ something like (2) rounds "Snakeshot" then "Hard" ammo.  Lastly
I'm the sorta guy that doesn't like it when other people know I'm armed...

Good luck w/ it,

Eric Howland
Savannah, GA.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#3]
when camping, hiking, panning or just having fun in the great outdoors I just use a cheap $8 nylon holster. It just has a nylon/velcro retaining strap and its on a webbing belt along with my compus venom extractor firestarter etc etc.

This belt setup wouldnt be practical for backpacking. However think about the cheap nylon holster. If you can find on that will pount well it might be the way to go. Low cost easy to clean and can leave it attached. Also as these tend to cover more of the gun it will protect it from brush. Not being leather or $$$ holster you wont be concerned with rain or mud. Its not likely you will need a quick draw "lets hope not" while backpacking.

anyway this might not work for you but something to think about
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I just strap a holster to the retention strap on the hip belt.  This has worked on Osprey and Mountainsmith packs.  You can also have a local seamstress sew in a heavy strap to attach a holster to.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e119/hkaholic/DSC01395.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top