Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 11:46:05 AM EDT
I just picked up my new XD45 last night and I'm looking to upgrade to tritium night sights.  I think that I've decided on the Meprolight sights.  

I am relatively new to handgun shooting and this is the first time I've ever bought aftermarket sights for a pistol.  I saw that several of the companies, including Meprolight have green, yellow, and orange rear sights.  After doing some research, I found that if a person goes with a color other than green, they should go with the yellow, as the tritium lasts longer than in the orange.

The question is, should I just stick with the green front and rear or should I get the yellow rear sights?  Are there any advantages to having different colors?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I did a search for sights but didn't come up with any answers.

Also, I'm not really planning on installing these myself.  Should I send the slide back to SA to have the sights installed or is it safe to trust a local gunshop to do this?

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer the different colors. I've used red rear/green front and yellow rear/green front. Either works fine for me. If your local gunshop can do it let them. I don't see any reason to send it back to SA.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:55:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:00:34 AM EDT
[#3]
With practice the gun will come up and point with the sights aligned. If you want different colors, I Think green is the brightest and so I would put it in front and I prefer yellow in the rear.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.  

I guess I'll try the yellow rear sight with the green front sight.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:54:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I like having different colors in the front and back.  The eyes seem drawn to the sight quicker. Sort of like why cars have the speedometer needle, the numbers, and the background all in different colors.  Orange needle, white numbers, black background usually.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top