Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 7:23:39 AM EDT
I was wondering where I could find information on the meaning of +P and +P+ when referring to handgun ammo.  I understand from context that it is a 'hotter' load, but what exactly does it mean?  I tried searching but search engines count the '+' as a search qualifier and it never works.

Thanks for your help
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no idea what the "P" stands for.   I would assume is stands for "powder" or "POW!".   +P and +P+ are often used by different manufacturer's to label a round that is loaded to higher pressure than their normal offering in that caliber/weight.

+P is regulated by industry standards, meaning there is a max amount of pressure for a +P in a certain caliber and manufacturers shouldn't exceed it.   +P+ isn't recognized by industry standard and is a label certain manufacturers use.  Also, some loads boxed as regular loads are hotter than some +P loads from other folks, and sometimes within the same brand.   There is no rhyme or reason.

In general, +P means is supposed to mean hotter than regular.  +P+ is supposed to mean it's hotter than +P.

This is all based off memory.  So I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't try shooting +P or +P+ unless your handgun has a full supported chamber and is supposed to shoot these hotter loads or you're gonna be in trouble.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I sold my Taurus PT100 in .40 and bought a Sig P229 in 357 Sig.  None of the ammo I have bought or even seen has the +P or +P+ on it.  I have noticed differances in ammo that I have bought though.  The stuff I bought at the gunshow was reloads from a company that the shooting range guy knows well and actually resells their ammo for them.  I have also shot some Gold Dots that are definitely loaded hotter, but there is no +P or +P+ marking on the box.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I have always assumed the P stands for pressure, as +P and +P+ loads are loaded to higher pressure than stnadard loads.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have always assumed the P stands for pressure, as +P and +P+ loads are loaded to higher pressure than stnadard loads.

Correct
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:37:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Well I sold my Taurus PT100 in .40 and bought a Sig P229 in 357 Sig.  None of the ammo I have bought or even seen has the +P or +P+ on it.  I have noticed differances in ammo that I have bought though.  The stuff I bought at the gunshow was reloads from a company that the shooting range guy knows well and actually resells their ammo for them.  I have also shot some Gold Dots that are definitely loaded hotter, but there is no +P or +P+ marking on the box.

that is because there are only iirc 4 saami recognized +p loads: 9mm+p, .38spl +p, .45acp +p, and .257roberts +p.  often you will see .38super listed as +p but that is just to note that it was much more powerful than older .38 chamberings.  basically there is a pressure limit for standard loads and another for +p loads.  but there is technically no upper limit for +p+ and that is not saami recognized.  +p is generally ok in most military type handguns--sigs, rugers, glocks, hk, etc.  but if you are concerned i suggest checking your manual or contacting the manufacturer.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top