Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 5:03:49 PM EDT
Is that a good defensive ammo my brother bought me a glock 17 and gave me 250rds of it.

I ussallly stick to 1911a1s with hydra shok.

and does anyone know the one shot stop percent like even marshell does on it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I have quite a bit of it.  It performs pretty good but I am moving to the GD 147's because of less blast, slightly better penetration and I shoot them better.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#2]

I've shot it in my G34 and Beretta 92.

Two words:   IT'S HOT  You can definitely see and feel a difference between

it and something milder.

I have since moved to the +P 124gr Goldots;  as I feel it will have a little better penetration.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Shoot the 115s as practice and get yourself some 124s.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Whats the velosity on the 124+p and do they make a 124+p+ gold dot.

and does anyone one have any info on the one shot stop on the different ammo like even marshell and ed sanow does.

and thanks for all your imput.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Velocity w/ +p+ 115 gr. should be around the 1300fps mark with a 4.5 inch barrel.  The +p 124's

around 1200+/- out of a 4.5 in. bbl.

As far as "one shot stops", please do not buy into this. As the old, tired, worn-to-hell saying goes:

It's where you put em' that counts.

Oh, Federal makes a +p+ 124gr  Hydra-shock.  I've been using them, and have no problems.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:21:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Or  they close in stopping power to the 357 magnum 110?

I,ve carried a 1911a1 for so long and my friends have condemed me for carrying a mouse gun, i,ve tryed to tell them this is not there fathers 9mm or my hi-power with cor-bon 115.

but they stilll go on the legendary hit in the pinky and die storys...well maybe not that bad but weve all heard them.

But i like my glock better then my Union signal & switch  45 or hi-power not becuse of the mag capacity but the feel and i belive it can take a liking and keep ticking though i,m reminded so could the other two.

so i,m comflicted maybe my hi-power(dipped nazi tangent) was a better 9mm if i have to carryone.

so i take crap for carrying a plastic pistol in 9mm not 45 for god sake but i like it is that so wrong.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:25:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Or  they close in stopping power to the 357 magnum 110?

I,ve carried a 1911a1 for so long and my friends have condemed me for carrying a mouse gun, i,ve tryed to tell them this is not there fathers 9mm or my hi-power with cor-bon 115.

but they stilll go on the legendary hit in the pinky and die storys...well maybe not that bad but weve all heard them.

But i like my glock better then my Union signal & switch  45 or hi-power not becuse of the mag capacity but the feel and i belive it can take a liking and keep ticking though i,m reminded so could the other two.

so i,m comflicted maybe my hi-power(dipped nazi tangent) was a better 9mm if i have to carryone.

so i take crap for carrying a plastic pistol in 9mm not 45 for god sake but i like it is that so wrong.

You seem to be drawn towards the "very light and very fast" side of the argument, but I'll simply say this: you are probably better served with something like the 124-127 grain JHPs, as they tend to be more solidly constructed than the 110-115 pills. Better to have them penetrate slower than to have them break up and not penetrate.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Bigron2,  You seem to have the same problem I have!!  My nightstand gun and the one I shoot the best is my S&W Govt 1911, loaded with 230 Fed Hydra Shoks.  My primary CCW is a Glock 23 with 155 GD and My SHTF EOTWAWKI is a Glock 17 with Black Hills 115+p (These are also Gold Dot rounds).  To top it all off my wife has a Glock 19 loaded with 124+p Gold Dots from Speer with the Black Hills 124+p as a supply of ammo.  The reason we use Black Hills as our SHTF is because it uses GD bullets but it a little less expensive then Speer ammo in my area.  I think that it is great ammo!!  By the way, for the most part I lean towards the "Lighter faster rounds in 9mm and 40s&w.  In 45 I'm a 230 grain guy all the way!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:49:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I use the +P+ Gold Dots quite a bit in my 9mm carbines, +Ps in my pistols.  Very good ammo IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#10]

speaking of...

have you guys seen the reclassified Speer 124gr GD +P in bulk anywhere lately?
i had a couple of boxes (500 rounds ea) but i've gone through most of it.

thanks,
ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:11:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
They make +P+ Gold Dots?  All I can find are standard pressure, and +P.

I bought them in bulk from Ammoman a while back.  I just checked his site and they aren't listed/pictured anymore.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#13]
They make +P+ Gold Dots?  

+P+  115 grain
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#14]

SPEER Gold Dot Ammunition

LOAD NUMBER: 53612

LOAD: 9mm 115 gr. +P+

CASE: Nickel Plated Brass

BULLET: 115 Gr. Gold Dot Hollow Point*

PRIMER: CCI Primer No. 500

Primer Mix contains Normal Lead Styphnate.

Operating Range (-20 deg. To +125 deg. F.)

PRIMER SEALANT: Nitrocellulose Lacquer

CASE MOUTH SEALANT: Black Lucas or Anaerobic Sealer

HEADSTAMP: Each loaded cartridge shall be headstamped with the manufacturer’s symbol and appropriate cartridge designation.

LOT IDENTIFICATION: Each lot of ammunition is assigned a unique identification number. This includes information on the day, month, and year of manufacture and assembly line on which the ammunition was manufactured.

ACCURACY: Ammunition exceeds SAAMI Accuracy recommendations in a SAAMI Accuracy Test Barrel.

INSTRUMENTAL VELOCITY: 1300 +/- 40 FPS using a 4.00" SAAMI standard test barrel.

MUZZLE ENERGY: 432 Ft-lbs.

BULLET PULL: Minimum average – 50 lbs.

CHAMBER PRESSURE: Piezoelectric Transducer maximum average 10 rounds – 40,700 PSI.

POWDER: Each cartridge shall be loaded with flash suppressant powder.

PROPELLANT DETECTION: 100% mechanical and/or electronic detection of propellant levels within the cartridges.

VISUAL INSPECTION: 100% both visual and machine vision inspection of finished cartridges prior to packaging.

PACKAGING: Packaged in 50 ct. boxes/1000 rounds per case.

* The Gold Dot Hollow Point bullet has a 100% electrochemically bonded jacket. The electrochemical process bonds the jacket to the alloyed lead core one molecule at a time. This provides the most uniform jacket thickness possible. The unique Gold Dot Hollow Point is then "star stabbed" through the jacket and into the core determining the future shape of the expanded bullet. The final swaging operation creates an extremely uniform heel radius and a jacket that extends over the nose of the bullet to aid in feeding effectiveness.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:18:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Go to Georgia Arms they have all you want and more. Look in the Shear Power Plus section or canned heat. Good prices as well. Call before you order as the prices have changed
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Stick with the 124gn +P GoldDots.

Joe
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:20:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
speaking of...

have you guys seen the reclassified Speer 124gr GD +P in bulk anywhere lately?
i had a couple of boxes (500 rounds ea) but i've gone through most of it.

thanks,
ar-jedi

anyone?

tnx!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top