BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2020 11:05:06 AM EDT

Test Gun: Ruger LCP
Barrel length: 2.75 inches.
Ammunition: Fiocchi .380 ACP 90gr XTP
Test media: 10% Vyse Ballistics Gel.
Distance: 10 feet.
Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
Five shot velocity average: 808fps
BB Calibration: 3.75 inches.

https://general-cartridge.com/2020/09/03/fiocchi-380-acp-90gr-xtp-in-vyes-ballistics-gel-retest/
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 11:37:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Good test. If I carried a .380 id either use xtps or hardcasts.

And to think I got account warnings for mentioning that clear gel wasn't relevant to reality.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll stick to my .32 ACP FMJs for the secondary.  I've been hopeful about the newer .380 hollowpoints, but it doesn't sound as if the formula is quite there yet - or it simply doesn't have the energy budget to hit the 12" mark & expand consistently.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for testing the 90 grain XTP in organic gel!  Great test and report!   In the summer months I frequently carry a Glock 42 loaded with Hornady American Gunner 90 grain XTP.   The Hornady AG is not perfect but I think this round is adequate for self defense for me in my situation.   I’ve told the story before but many years ago my Agency handled an armed robbery at a liquor store.  The perp had a handgun and the owner had a Browning BDA 380 loaded with 88 grain Remington JHP.   The perp was hit several times as well as several cans of beer and a few bottles of booze.  

The perp was not thrilled about deciding to pull this robbery and he survived to stand trial.   Remington 88 grain JHP is not highly recommended but this was in the dead of winter and the perp was wearing several layers of clothing.  Generally the less the amount of expansion the deeper the penetration.   The 90 grain XTP is not perfect but it is good enough for me for my day to day activities.  If I really thought I was going into harms way I’d have multiple powerful weapons.   The first rule of a gun fight is have a gun.  I put more faith in shot placement and tactics than the particular bullet.   The Glock 42 is easy to shoot accurately and quickly plus I always carry two spare mags with seven rounds each.

Everybody needs to evaluate their actual risk and capabilities.  Quality test like yours is very beneficial and appreciated!
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I am a .45 guy but carry a 1903 Colt .32 or a Colt Government 380 a great deal.  I have tried both of them with 80 and 87 grain flat point soft cast bullets on live animal and fresh killed venison.  At 10 feet, both .32 and .380  completely passed through neck and chest with one cutting the spine.  No bullet recovered but it built my confidence in the rounds.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Great test, as always!

These are my preferred carry ammo, when I carry my g42 or p238.

I've been carrying a xtp since I watched the ShootingTheBull410 ammo quest videos.

Link Posted: 9/4/2020 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AWZ1287:
Great test, as always!

These are my preferred carry ammo, when I carry my g42 or p238.

I've been carrying a xtp since I watched the ShootingTheBull410 ammo quest videos.

View Quote

Same here.  Typically fiocchi extrema but any 90g XTP tested well in STB's tests.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 10:02:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Good stuff!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 12:56:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Eric802:

Think again, you didn’t get an account warning for that. What you did get was a result of you “mentioning” it in every thread 5pins posted.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Eric802:
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Good test. If I carried a .380 id either use xtps or hardcasts.

And to think I got account warnings for mentioning that clear gel wasn't relevant to reality.

Think again, you didn’t get an account warning for that. What you did get was a result of you “mentioning” it in every thread 5pins posted.

Ok
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 12:42:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Great test and write up OP, keep up the good work. Without people like you putting in the work lazy asses like myself would have a harder time picking out ammo with any confidence.

Originally Posted By VASCAR2:In the summer months I frequently carry a Glock 42 loaded with Hornady American Gunner 90 grain XTP.
View Quote

The 90 grain  American Gunner XTP are what I have and carry for my LCP. Definitely a solid round, anything in .380 with the XTP bullet seems to be a good contender.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Nonchalance:
Great test and write up OP, keep up the good work. Without people like you putting in the work lazy asses like myself would have a harder time picking out ammo with any confidence.

The 90 grain  American Gunner XTP are what I have and carry for my LCP. Definitely a solid round, anything in .380 with the XTP bullet seems to be a good contender.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nonchalance:

Originally Posted By VASCAR2:In the summer months I frequently carry a Glock 42 loaded with Hornady American Gunner 90 grain XTP.

I also keep the American Gunner XTP in my Ruger LCP II, while its not my primary it is my backup/ suit and tie gun. It will most likely be my carry piece for my wedding.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MRW:
This is the bullet I carry in my G42, does anyone besides Hornady and Fiocci use the 90XTP
View Quote

I use the Underwood +P version of it. It's warm.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 9:36:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLOCKshooter] [#15]
I got a good deal on a case of the Fiocci, so that's what I carry.  When I run out I will restock with the same load, but by Precision One.  

Ammo Quest .380 Finals: Precision One XTP test thru Denim in ballistic gelatin

Precision One 90 grain xtp had the best results in Shooting the Bull's bare and denim ballistic gel tests.

I practice with Winchester Rangers, as I bought a bunch before I saw the tests that showed they expand great- but don't penetrate deeply at all.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top