Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2005 7:03:20 AM EDT
I am new to handguns so I need lots of help  
When I go home on R&R leave, I want to get a 45 ACP pistol but I dont have any idea on what to get.

I just need your opinions

Thanks a lot
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:07:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Glock is currently offering MIL the LEO prices if you can find a dealer that will work with you...
www.gtdist.com/SearchResults.aspx?SubCat=HAND&SubSub=GLOCK&Category=GUNAM
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:16:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Glocks are decent.

Personally I perfer 1911's and of the availble manufacturers I prefer Kimber.

The Sig Sauer P220 is nice if you prefer Double Single Action.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#3]
H&K USP  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
When I go home on R&R leave, I want to get a 45 ACP pistol but I dont have any idea on what to get.

Thanks a lot

hey bud, I think the consensus with the gun community when it comes to first time purchasers is that you just have to follow one piece of advice:

1.) Save some money, and rent the guns that most interest you and shoot them. This will truly give you first hand experience with the weapon and allow to see which one you shoot the straightest, enjoy the most, and can be the safest with.

So, if you can get to a range and rent a glock, any variations of 1911, Sig 220, H&K USPs, you cannot go wrong with either of those pistols..

good luck and let us know how it goes..
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess i will just have to wait unitl I get my R&R leave and go home to see my dad, I forgot how many pistols my dad has so I will jsut ask him if I can shoot each own of them to get come feel for them. I only have 15 days of leave and I am stationed in Germany so I dont have a lot of time to practice. I will be in Germany till April 2010 as of right now so I am kinda in a hurry.

Thank you so much for your input.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#6]
If I had to keep one, it would be my 5" Wilson Combat CQB.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#7]
You should seriously consider a glock.  With the LE discount, you aren't going to find anything (at least not NIB) as good in that price range...

My wife decided my G19 is hers so, I'm going to have to replace it with a G21...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess I'm old fashion, but the best .45 is the venerable M1911A1.......I have 3 USGI .45s, and I wouldn't  even think of buying a plastic gun, that feels more like a airsoft toy, then a handgun. you handle a M1911A1 and you are holding a  real gun....my advice, go with the original design,  and don't accept a bad wannabe copy of one.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Colt 1911
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Depends on your budget. Some great suggestions in here already. I'd go with 1911, H&K USP, or SIG if you can swing it. If you need something a little more economical the springfield govt. model, glock 21, and cz 97 are some good models. Thanks for your service.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks a lot

hey bud, I think the consensus with the gun community when it comes to first time purchasers is that you just have to follow one piece of advice:

1.) Save some money, and rent the guns that most interest you and shoot them. This will truly give you first hand experience with the weapon and allow to see which one you shoot the straightest, enjoy the most, and can be the safest with.

So, if you can get to a range and rent a glock, any variations of 1911, Sig 220, H&K USPs, you cannot go wrong with either of those pistols..

good luck and let us know how it goes..

Big +1, get the weapon that fits your hand the best and works the best for you.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:32:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Well.....I've always been a 1911 fan, and my current carry piece is a lightly customised Colt 70-Series "repro".  She's 100% steel and been 100% reliable with about 1200rnds down the tube so far.....

BUT, I've got to agree with the gang and say try to "test drive" as many .45's as you can find!  Glock is about as reliable as they come. Sig and HK make excellent .45's as well.  And then there's a whole slew of 1911 "clones" on the market (some better than others....the "cheapest" 1911 I'd rely on would be a Springfield).   Everyone's hands are different......what works for me may not feel right (or work worth a damn) for you.

Good luck with your search......feel free to ask any brand-specific questions you may have.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:41:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Springfield GI model.   Very basic and a great shooter for a great price.   Later on if you so desire it's an excellent platform for a custom build.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:43:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Glock 21, no contest.  Look at Bigbores's tests.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:46:51 AM EDT
[#15]
What is its intended purpose?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:15:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Sig P220
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#17]
If it fits your hand, I'd recommend the Glock 21.  It's just hard to beat every way you look at it.  If not, certainly a 1911 is a great option.  I'd personally recommend a Kimber TLE.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Springfield GI model.   Very basic and a great shooter for a great price.   Later on if you so desire it's an excellent platform for a custom build.  

I own a Sig P220ST and can vouch for it's quality, reliability, but Mr45auto makes a good point. I have shot friends' Springfield GIs and was impressed with everything but the sights (may not be an issue for YOUR eyes- little hard for me to pick up). Locally, they can be had for around 400.00.  Their owners were all satisfied. Would make a good "truck gun" as well. The 5" model felt better to me than the 4."
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#19]
SVT,

Enjoy your time home, and the time spent with your Dad.

Thanks for what ya do, it is appreciated that young soldiers, Marines, Airmen, and Sailors are keeping the Wolf off of the Porch.

Best advice I can proffer is to try the 1911, Glock G-21 and G-30, Sig P220.

The one that fits the hand, and you find a connection with, is the one.

Mind the air stateside.

Just cuz it appears folks are going about their way like nothing is going on, dosn't mean they ain't paying attention.

We are.
Just kind of busy thanks to the lattitude afforded by you and your brothers efforts.

Thanks.
S-28

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Well lets see,

Sig 220
Hk USP
1911 (Les Baer,Wilson,Springfield)
Hk p9s45

Many quality 45s pick one that fits your hand/shooting style/needs.

Cant go wrong with any of the major manufaturers.

Woosaa
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Colt 1911

Ayup!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Hello Everyone, thank you so much for the info. My dad owns a lot of different handguns so I will just have to eval all of them.

but in the mean time, does anyone know where I can get the best price on an H&K 45 USP?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top