Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2018 11:13:03 AM EDT
I read an interesting post, see below. In the past, I always ignored 5.7, seemed silly to buy a pistol which they banned the ammo it was designed to shoot. Didn't want to shoot a "compromise round" out of an expensive gun. Thought this was interesting though, this round sounds really effective based on this guy's summary:

1. 11 people were shot center-of-mass (COM), one was shot in the stomach and one was shot in the head. All 13 died. All 11 victims who were shot COM did not survive.
2. 3 of the 13 people who died, tried to charge Hassan, but he stopped them with COM shots.
3. The 32 people who were wounded were hit in the arms, legs, hips and shoulders. None of the wounded survivors were shot COM.

The following conclusions can be drawn:
1. The FN 5.7 is a very lethal round CQB because all 11 victims who were shot COM died. No survivors for those hit COM.
2. The FN 5.7 is a real stopper, because 3 tried to charge Hassan at close range and were stopped by COM shots.
3. One of the fatalities was shot in the stomach, and died. The fragmentation of the SS197R round can create a hail of metal shards that can cause serious internal organ damage and bleeding in the stomach.
4. None of the 32 people who were hit in the extremities, hips and shoulders were able to muster a counter-attack because the FN 5.7 must have shattered or broken bones. The high rate of wounded vicitms to fatalities was the direct result of the shooting ability of Hassan (or lack thereof), and not because the 5.7x28 round is not lethal.
5. Sgt. Kimberly Munley (base civilian police), one of the first responders, was immediately disabled with 5.7x28 bullet shrapnels to her wrist and a second 5.7x28 bullet broke her femur. The light 5.7x28 commercial ammo showed that it can shatter large bones due to its velocity
6. According to medical personnel, there was so much blood in the room that it was difficult to get to the victims because the floor became very slippery. One can conclude that the commercial 5.7x28 rounds can fragment or tumble, causing immense blood loss.
7. It took five bullets (which I assume was a 9 mm) from Sgt Mark Todd to stop Hasan. And he survived his wounds (no available info on where he was hit, except that one of the bullets paralyzed Hasan).

In conclusion:
1. The FN 5.7 is definitely a very lethal round. 100% fatality for COM shots.
2. The FN 5.7 is a man-stopper. Three military men tried to charge Hasan, and all three were stopped.
2. The FN 5.7 is a very incapacitating round, if extremities are hit, because it is powerful enough to break the femur (which is the largest bone in the body)
3. The fragmentation or tumbling effect of commercial ammo can cause a lot of blood loss.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#1]
None of the 5.7 rounds have ever been banned :) They are just restricted because SS190 is AP :)
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:23:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Yet there are those stories of people being shot by P90's and refusing to drop, and even complaining asking police to stop shooting them (happened in my old agency).

The round obviously works and had numerous advantages over typical handgun loads.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#3]
None of the FN loads are any good, including SS190. SS190 is the best of the bunch, and it only gets about 10" in bare gel. The other LE round they make, the SS198, is even worse. Out of all of them, the SS197 is actually the best. It's the only one that stands a snowball's chance of passing any portion of the FBI test.

There's one round made by a boutique ammo manufacturer that's basically a copy of a prototype AP round made by some company in Europe, and it's decent. I think it would probably pass the FBI protocols. But it's expensive as all getout, and there's like a two month waiting list for it, plus there have been some people reporting bulged cases. It's loaded right on the edge with custom powder, which is how it gets enough juice to do what it does.

It's really a crying shame because the P90 is such a great little weapon. Contrary to intuition, I've found the magazines to be some of the most reliable ever made. If they had just made the round a tiny bit more powerful, just enough to get like 15" in bare gel, then it would have been a viable concept. The only thing that killed the P90 is it's just not powerful enough to be taken seriously. Had it been able to hold its own with 9mm I have to think that it would have been extremely popular with law enforcement. Like I said, it's just a crying shame.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#4]
22 Magnum.

Link Posted: 11/18/2018 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
22 Magnum.

View Quote
I know you jest, but they're not that far removed from one another. A .22 WMR from a rifle is about on par with 5.7 from a pistol. Virtually the same weight and velocity.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#6]
2016/17 JOINT AGENCY BALLISTICS TEST FOR DEFENSIVE HANDGUN AMMUNITION

5.7mm SUMMARY
The 5.7mm is a small-caliber, high-velocity, rebated rim, bottlenecked, rifle cartridge. They are the fastest, smallest and lightest rounds tested. They are the only rifle rounds included and only because this chambering has a pistol that employs it. Designed and proven to have better wound ballistic terminal performance than the 9mm, better barrier performance especially versus armor with low recoil and lightweight it is a misunderstood and controversial cartridge. This is the first large scale test involving the 5.7 alongside other more traditional calibers hollow points in the U.S. Only a couple of agencies involved in this test use this cartridge.

Starting in 2002, NATO conducted several tests to replace the 9×19mm cartridge. The tests compared the FNH 5.7×28mm cartridge and the HK 4.6×30mm cartridge. The NATO group recommended the 5.7×28mm cartridge, recording vastly superior performance in testing. Comparing the results of the NATO test and one other federal test with this test has confirmed our results. 5.7mm rounds use tumbling and velocity as its destructive mechanism. The 5.7mm round is similar to the 5.56mm in form and function but weighs less and has lower velocity, but the projectile is longer than the 5.56 making the center of gravity (CG) farther aft which greatly aids in its ability to tumble reliably and consistently and increase its wound size. The variances in design and capability of the tested rounds was vast. Results were the most varied of any caliber tested. There were 4 duty rounds that demonstrated superior characteristics over the others in all grading criteria. Many of the other rounds are simply training rounds. Great penetration, reliability, consistency and barrier performance proved to be very easy to grade.

1. Penetration was surprisingly deep and consistent for the duty rounds regardless of barriers in Phase 2/3 and very close to the best from the 45ACP and 10mm hollow points averaging just over 17 inches.
2. The rounds exhibited near perfect reliability with no tested rounds failing to function/tumble in any phase regardless of media/barriers. None of the rounds fragmented unless designed to do so. Shot to shot consistency was extremely high similar to the solid copper rounds and the FMJs. Each wound channel looked completely different but the measurements were very close and consistent.
3. Barrier degradation was almost zero. 5.7 rounds are the closest thing to barrier blind that was tested. During a couple of the test shoots certain agencies  introduced different more robust barriers and the 5.7 continued its flawless minimal degradation results.
4. Measuring the Permanent Wound Cavity (PWC) in gel proved to be very difficult. High speed, tumbling rounds create a compression which results in larger than actual wound channels in non-compressible IWBA gel similar to what some of the solid copper rounds did only worse. Also, the rounds normally followed a fairly linear path but in some instances wound paths were curved. Lastly, the wound diameter is small while the bullet is in line but is much wider during tumbling, requiring almost infinite measurements to be made to accurately calculate the actual PWC in gel similar to the frangible rounds. Averages could be made but all our other measurements were so exact and rechecked that we decided to not estimate and be inaccurate. It was decided that wound channel dimensions would be more accurate and realistic in Phase 4/5 in actual tissue where exact measurements could be made and tissue dissection could verify tumbling and overall damage. The Phase 4/5 results were extremely surprising and much extra testing was done as many agencies wanted to be present for comparisons to more traditional rounds. Measurements taken on over 100 shots verified that wound channels through tissue with or without barriers equaled or exceeded that of hollow points in all calibers! There was a solid copper round that produced larger average wound dimensions. As previously mentioned rounds over 2,000 fps can create stretches that exceed the body’s limits. In a few select tests rifle rounds >3,000 fps were tested to analyze the wounds in tissue. Dissection showed tearing, which increases overall wounding. Only minimal tearing was ever witnessed during 5.7mm testing and we believe the effects were nominal and did not contribute to any measurements or data.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I know you jest, but they're not that far removed from one another. A .22 WMR from a rifle is about on par with 5.7 from a pistol. Virtually the same weight and velocity.
View Quote
Except there are literally no worthwhile .22 mag bullets. all thin jacket, lead core stuff.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:06:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Except there are literally no worthwhile .22 mag bullets. all thin jacket, lead core stuff.
View Quote
This is true, plus they're rimfire.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:32:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yet there are those stories of people being shot by P90's and refusing to drop, and even complaining asking police to stop shooting them (happened in my old agency).

The round obviously works and had numerous advantages over typical handgun loads.
View Quote
I've seen a story referenced about a Jacksonville FL SWAT shoot with a P90. Many on the internet make the claim that the bad guy asked to stop being shot. Then the actual incident report was found, and it was 1 swat member who shot the bad guy with 1 FA burst, and the suspect expired on the scene... It's not like other calibers have ever failed to stop a bad guy..
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:36:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
None of the FN loads are any good, including SS190. SS190 is the best of the bunch, and it only gets about 10" in bare gel. The other LE round they make, the SS198, is even worse. Out of all of them, the SS197 is actually the best. It's the only one that stands a snowball's chance of passing any portion of the FBI test.

There's one round made by a boutique ammo manufacturer that's basically a copy of a prototype AP round made by some company in Europe, and it's decent. I think it would probably pass the FBI protocols. But it's expensive as all getout, and there's like a two month waiting list for it, plus there have been some people reporting bulged cases. It's loaded right on the edge with custom powder, which is how it gets enough juice to do what it does.

It's really a crying shame because the P90 is such a great little weapon. Contrary to intuition, I've found the magazines to be some of the most reliable ever made. If they had just made the round a tiny bit more powerful, just enough to get like 15" in bare gel, then it would have been a viable concept. The only thing that killed the P90 is it's just not powerful enough to be taken seriously. Had it been able to hold its own with 9mm I have to think that it would have been extremely popular with law enforcement. Like I said, it's just a crying shame.
View Quote
It's about $2/rd, which is higher than most of the 20rd boxes of self defense ammo. it's typically a stated 4-6 week turn around because they have to have the bullets made on a cnc machine..  You really don't get bulged cases in 5.7. You get popped or pierced primers and if you're getting those then yeah, too hot. This load (T6B from Elite Ammo, or the Black Dragon Fang from Vanguard) are no where near loaded on the edge..
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:58:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's about $2/rd, which is higher than most of the 20rd boxes of self defense ammo. it's typically a stated 4-6 week turn around because they have to have the bullets made on a cnc machine..  You really don't get bulged cases in 5.7. You get popped or pierced primers and if you're getting those then yeah, too hot. This load (T6B from Elite Ammo, or the Black Dragon Fang from Vanguard) are no where near loaded on the edge..
View Quote
I think it's funny that I vaguely describe the one round that's pretty good and you instantly know exactly which one I'm talking about.

I've never seen his load data, but I talked to Jay about it once and he indicated to me that T6B was right on the edge. I don't know how else he could get those velocities out of it. He recommended that I not try to replicate his velocities because the margin of error was just too small for the casual reloader. Maybe he just wanted to sell more bullets, I don't know.

Speaking of T6B, I've always wanted to see the 28 grain pill launched from a .223. I think it would be an awesome self defense round for indoor use. Just an idea if you ever get bored and have an extra block laying around.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 11:22:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
SS190 does a whole lot better than 10" in bare gel.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 11:43:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't know, in the video it looks like it's doing about 25 cm, and I think that's a bare gel shot.

Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#14]
.30 carbine for the win!

Let the but hurt flow.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:02:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I do think it would have been a better idea to go for a 65k psi limit instead of 50k.

Then we could get the 40gr bullets going as fast as the 27s.

The P90 should be what we give to POGs instead of pistols.  Like a modern M1 carbine.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:28:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
The linked pistol study has all kinds of data on 9mm, .40, .45acp, 10mm and 5.7.  There is nothing wrong with a 5.7 inside of 100y out of the pistol barrel and using the factory loads.  There might be arguments from 25-50y, but I think nothing overwhelms one vs. another.  Inside 25y, the 5.7 is flying and does what it is designed to do: poke holes and tumble.

The linked study is very good.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:44:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The linked pistol study has all kinds of data on 9mm, .40, .45acp, 10mm and 5.7.  There is nothing wrong with a 5.7 inside of 100y out of the pistol barrel and using the factory loads.  There might be arguments from 25-50y, but I think nothing overwhelms one vs. another.  Inside 25y, the 5.7 is flying and does what it is designed to do: poke holes and tumble.

The linked study is very good.
View Quote
Yep. Read it before recently. With Elite Ammo or SS190 you’ll get to 16-17” in bare 10% ordnance gel. I carry a G19 daily, but wouldn’t have any hesitation carrying my FSN if I had to. The only reason I don’t is the pistols size, and I practice a lot with Glocks so the G20 usually becomes my winter carry gun.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:45:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think it's funny that I vaguely describe the one round that's pretty good and you instantly know exactly which one I'm talking about.

I've never seen his load data, but I talked to Jay about it once and he indicated to me that T6B was right on the edge. I don't know how else he could get those velocities out of it. He recommended that I not try to replicate his velocities because the margin of error was just too small for the casual reloader. Maybe he just wanted to sell more bullets, I don't know.

Speaking of T6B, I've always wanted to see the 28 grain pill launched from a .223. I think it would be an awesome self defense round for indoor use. Just an idea if you ever get bored and have an extra block laying around.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've been around awhile, and I'm literally one of the few if any who tests 5.7 ammo. Jay just wants to sell more ammo :) He's backed some of his loads off over the year, as I've never hit the 2600 fps he's marketed in his 28gr loads :D.

I've tested his 28gr load in .223. It's hard to get going super fast because of case capacity..

Quoted:

I don't know, in the video it looks like it's doing about 25 cm, and I think that's a bare gel shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyJEEISVTd4
This could be very well 20% gel since it was for NATO testing.. I got 12.5" after penetrating a IIIA panel with the pistol :)

5.7x28mm, SS190 AP, 31gr FMJ AP, Clear Ballistic Gel
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:45:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've been around awhile, and I'm literally one of the few if any who tests 5.7 ammo. Jay just wants to sell more ammo :) He's backed some of his loads off over the year, as I've never hit the 2600 fps he's marketed in his 28gr loads :D.

I've tested his 28gr load in .223. It's hard to get going super fast because of case capacity..

This could be very well 20% gel since it was for NATO testing.. I got 12.5" after penetrating a IIIA panel with the pistol :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56lSi8C9rT8
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56lSi8C9rT8
They specifically said it was 10%. I can't find it, but there's another FN video where they shoot gel through body armor with the same results. I really don't know enough about gel to offer any explanations.

Quoted:
I do think it would have been a better idea to go for a 65k psi limit instead of 50k.

Then we could get the 40gr bullets going as fast as the 27s.

The P90 should be what we give to POGs instead of pistols.  Like a modern M1 carbine.
It definitely would have required some kind of locking breech mechanism at that pressure, which is totally viable in the P90. The problem was that NATO required a handgun in the same caliber, and I don't think that would have been viable at those pressures without doing something crazy.

I think the handgun was another major reason the project ultimately failed. It limited the P90's potential, and it never really panned out. I'm an average sized dude, and it's almost too chunky for me.

Then again, without the handgun it can't replace 9mm, and that was the whole objective in the first place. NATO pretty much came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth fielding a new caliber in addition to 9mm. That and you've got short 5.56 weapons that are roughly the same size and weight as the P90 with slightly better ballistics. Just not quite as streamlined and have a smaller capacity.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:58:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They specifically said it was 10%. I can't find it, but there's another FN video where they shoot gel through body armor with the same results. I really don't know enough about gel to offer any explanations.

It definitely would have required some kind of locking breech mechanism at that pressure, which is totally viable in the P90. The problem was that NATO required a handgun in the same caliber, and I don't think that would have been viable at those pressures without doing something crazy.

I think the handgun was another major reason the project ultimately failed. It limited the P90's potential, and it never really panned out. I'm an average sized dude, and it's almost too chunky for me.

Then again, without the handgun it can't replace 9mm, and that was the whole objective in the first place. NATO pretty much came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth fielding a new caliber in addition to 9mm. That and you've got short 5.56 weapons that are roughly the same size and weight as the P90 with slightly better ballistics. Just not quite as streamlined and have a smaller capacity.
View Quote
I think they could have done it though.  A 40gr pill @ 2100fps from the pistol would have been pretty good.  I'll bet the perceived recoil still would have been less than many  9mm loads.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Bad info. ^

NATO couldn’t diplomatically settle the dispute between Belgium and Germany, so there was no standard selected and some members went with FN and others HK.

@6G

By your talking points and study data, you should be shooting 230g FMJ, but I’m guessing 124g JHP?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've seen a story referenced about a Jacksonville FL SWAT shoot with a P90. Many on the internet make the claim that the bad guy asked to stop being shot. Then the actual incident report was found, and it was 1 swat member who shot the bad guy with 1 FA burst, and the suspect expired on the scene... It's not like other calibers have ever failed to stop a bad guy..
View Quote
Yes, that is the incident I was referring to. I had no involvement with the shooting but spoke with the guys that did. They basically said the dude yelled for them to stop shooting after a f/a burst from the P90 with several rounds hitting him, but I don't know where he was hit. It's not like they hosed him down center mass and he shrugged it off.

They relegated the P90 to limited use such as dignitary protection soon after. But I bet some of the decline of the P90 is due to the wholesale adoption of the AR for tactical teams across the country. Same thing happened to the MP5. Everyone fell in love with the AR, which unless size is paramount, it better all around than P90 and MP5.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:37:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bad info. ^

NATO couldn’t diplomatically settle the dispute between Belgium and Germany, so there was no standard selected and some members went with FN and others HK.

@6G

By your talking points and study data, you should be shooting 230g FMJ, but I’m guessing 124g JHP?
View Quote
My opinion is that was probably a small factor in the 5.7 not being adopted. I think the bottom line is no one was ever going to accept 5.7 as a replacement for 9mm.

I have no idea what you're talking about in your second point.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

From what Jay has told me, the FSN pistol can actually handle hotter loads than the p90/Ps90 action. I believe when the .224BOZ was around, it hit better #s than .22TCM, but it destroyed the breach face after so many rounds because of the action type. The .22TCM's downfall is the case capacity is needed for loads, and that means you have to run this specific 40gr JSP bullet to do so, all while keeping the OAL down.

Quoted:
Yes, that is the incident I was referring to. I had no involvement with the shooting but spoke with the guys that did. They basically said the dude yelled for them to stop shooting after a f/a burst from the P90 with several rounds hitting him, but I don't know where he was hit. It's not like they hosed him down center mass and he shrugged it off.

They relegated the P90 to limited use such as dignitary protection soon after. But I bet some of the decline of the P90 is due to the wholesale adoption of the AR for tactical teams across the country. Same thing happened to the MP5. Everyone fell in love with the AR, which unless size is paramount, it better all around than P90 and MP5.
Can't argue there. a 10.5" AR still has literally No disadvantage over the P90. It may be 5-6" longer, but it has HUGE mod support, and superior ballistics. Now, if you need some suppressed full auto platform capable of cycling subsonic ammunition that will defeat IIIA armor, then P90 is your cake.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
From what Jay has told me, the FSN pistol can actually handle hotter loads than the p90/Ps90 action. I believe when the .224BOZ was around, it hit better #s than .22TCM, but it destroyed the breach face after so many rounds because of the action type. The .22TCM's downfall is the case capacity is needed for loads, and that means you have to run this specific 40gr JSP bullet to do so, all while keeping the OAL down.

Can't argue there. a 10.5" AR still has literally No disadvantage over the P90. It may be 5-6" longer, but it has HUGE mod support, and superior ballistics. Now, if you need some suppressed full auto platform capable of cycling subsonic ammunition that will defeat IIIA armor, then P90 is your cake.
View Quote
The subs will defeat body armor?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The subs will defeat body armor?
View Quote
Yes. The original 55gr and now 62gr (I'm wondering if the increase in weight was to help aid in cycling reliability?) will penetrate many layers of soft IIIA, and even rigid IIIA :D All at under 1000 fps. It all about that bullet composition. I do not know what the 62gr bullet is (perhaps inhouse), but the 55gr was a Sierra Match King. Here's the 62gr version.

Veteran's MFG Armor; Can Plastic Body Armor Stop All Pistol Threats?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yes. The original 55gr and now 62gr (I'm wondering if the increase in weight was to help aid in cycling reliability?) will penetrate many layers of soft IIIA, and even rigid IIIA :D All at under 1000 fps. It all about that bullet composition. I do not know what the 62gr bullet is (perhaps inhouse), but the 55gr was a Sierra Match King. Here's the 62gr version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhAMp3A0coM
View Quote
Well color me surprised! But does it have enough left over to do anything useful? What kind of penetration does something like that get in bare gel to begin with, anyhow?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:53:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Well color me surprised! But does it have enough left over to do anything useful? What kind of penetration does something like that get in bare gel to begin with, anyhow?
View Quote
I'm not sure. I don't think I've ever tested it. I tested it in clay a long time ago, and it penetrated a 6" clay block and some water jugs. I may have to test it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
22 Magnum.

View Quote
I got no love for the 5.7, but this is interesting...

Paul Harrell
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top