Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2002 10:59:21 AM EDT
I am getting a 1911 built up for me. I would like to know what length, if any, is recommended for the guide rod and your reasoning.
Reliability is my first priority, then accuraccy.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 11:48:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The regular short one. Why? Because J.M. Browning designed it that way. I have heard that full length guide rods keep the recoil spring from kinking, but I think that's a solution in search of a problem. I've never heard of anyone having a problem with kinking recoil springs. But if anyone has any anecdotal evidence to share, I'm all ears.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 2:49:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Use a 2 piece on a bushing gun (Wilson #148.5 is excellent), remove front half of rod, take down in normal manner.

Use a 1 piece with the reverse plug,,pull slide back, insert pin, push slide forward enough to remove slide stop, remove slide, lift rod/plug/spring out, slide barrel out front, ALL DONE.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 11:26:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Not trying to steal this thread, but I have a Springfield 1911 (the AR15.com LEGP).  It has a screw in guide rod - uses an allen key.  The gun functions fine without it but I haven't fired it that way.  Am I just using a normal 2-piece guide rod when I take that out?

I am new to 1911's so I haven't seen any other guide rods...
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 2:15:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with Big Bear, for a defensive pistol stick with the original plug, and don't use shock bufs in a defensive gun because if they split apart the pieces could jam your pistol. hock.gif

For a target pistol a full length guide rod adds some additional weight, which is a good thing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top