Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2003 2:11:18 PM EDT
I also posted this in "General".

I seem to have removed a hair too much material from the arm that blocks the trigger's rear movement. Now it will fire even if the grip safety is not depressed, just barely. Any ideas on what to use to build that surface back up for re-fitting? It's a stainless steel part. Would something like JB-Weld work or do I need to use a real weld? Any input is welcome.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:24:00 AM EDT
[#1]
You could try to peen it.  Clamp the tang to a flat surface and with a 1/8th inch drift punch placed where you need the extra steel back,  give it a good wack.  Not too hard the first time because you may only need a little extra metal.  Only problem would be that the temper of the steel would soften but it should give you some metal back to try again.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:41:30 AM EDT
[#2]
OK.  The gents on www.1911forum.com gave me a similar idea.  I appreciate your insight.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Only problem would be that the temper of the steel would soften but it should give you some metal back to try again.

Good sugestion Voodoo, but I disagree with this statement.  Temper, if any, would not change with plastic deformation.  If anything it would work harden the steel (slightly).  I would not expect the grip safety to be tempered, but I don't know for certain.

Kent(BSME)
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry for statement about temper but heat and the color of the metal determine what the brittleness will end up as, as best I can recall.  If I beat on any metal I should re-align the atoms to some extent.  Hell, I only graduated from high school but I did dropout of college twice!!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:53:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Only problem would be that the temper of the steel would soften but it should give you some metal back to try again.

Good sugestion Voodoo, but I disagree with this statement.  Temper, if any, would not change with plastic deformation.  If anything it would work harden the steel (slightly).  I would not expect the grip safety to be tempered, but I don't know for certain.

Kent(BSME)

Good to see another engineer on the board.  I agree that peening will work harden the steel, thus making it more brittle and more prone to failure under impact loading.  However, since the grip safety is not a heavily loaded part, and definitely not impact loaded, I'm not terribly worried about it.

I ended up peening it by "squeezing" the tang out with a pair of vise-grips.  It worked nicely so now it's time to re-fit.  Thanks to everyone for your help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top