Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2020 10:00:41 PM EDT
I have a Model 60 Chief's Special stainless that I know is pre 1980 (pinned barrel).

I think it was made in 1976.

Why does it have to be so damned hard to get a simple answer to this?

Why does Smith and Wesson insist on keeping this top secret unless you fork over $$$ to them for a certified letter?

All I want to know is the year it was made, with certainty.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any leads or can point me in the right direction.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 7:04:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Heck you won't even get that with a factory letter. Just the ship date.

What's the S/N??? With any popular model that's built and shipped quickly, the year can be pinned down most of the time unless it's right near the turn of the calendar.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Also keep in mind build date and ship date can be years apart.  Especially on some of less popular models it's not unusual for Smith (and other manufacturers)  to make a batch and then take years to sell them all.  

I go by the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson.  It's close enough for my purposes.  If you think dating a Smith is bad try getting a date on a post 1978 Colt.  Ruger has a decent system on their website but for older models it can be spotty.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heck you won't even get that with a factory letter. Just the ship date.

What's the S/N??? With any popular model that's built and shipped quickly, the year can be pinned down most of the time unless it's right near the turn of the calendar.
View Quote

R1573XX.

(Last two digits omitted for privacy).
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

R1573XX.

(Last two digits omitted for privacy).
View Quote

Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson says 1974-1977 for that serial number. As said above though, this is really a best guess of the authors, a letter is the only ways to know for sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top