Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2016 12:49:11 PM EDT
Hanging out at a local store and a gun club buddy came in and asked to handle this gun . His mitts are pretty big so it wasn't great for him but he handed it to me before it went back into the case

Small and compact as it is a single stack.
I never had much use for S&W centerfire autos , the one I had years back and most I have handled had some pretty grim triggers.
Some of the M&Ps are ok but I have that area covered with my Glocks .

This 908 has a quite remarkable trigger . The single action is real nice and the double action is of course longer but smooth and really pretty reasonable for a double action .
Both the double and single reminded me of a nice revolver trigger that suits me fine as I am a revolver guy.

I have been searching around and about the only info is someone claiming the 908 is a low cost version of the 3913 .

Anyone know when these were made?
How to field strip ? not finding a owners manual on line .

Off to the range to run some ammo
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks hardshell for the link . I had gone to the S&W site and had actually looked at that but wasn't sure if it applied to my model .

Many years ago I had bought one of the double stack stainless S&W semis . Not even sure of the model but it had a horrendous trigger . since I got rid of that I honestly
have not had much more than very casual contact with any other models , certainly none that jumped out as having a "nice" trigger . I am no stranger to lots of S&W guns but everything but my model 41 go round and round

I did a quick range trip today and ran a handful of magazines thru my new/old gun and am pretty happy with it . I don't shoot it as well as my G19 but then again it is way smaller
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:41:56 AM EDT
[#3]
The 908 is a 3rd generation of the S&W 9 MM semi autos and is the value line, full size pistol would be the 910 or 915 depending on magazine supplied, 909 was the value model for the 3904 (blued slide alloy frame) and the 908 was the value model of the 3914.  The value series pistols did not have a polished blued slide (matte finish) and had less machining so appeared to have a boxier slide compared to the 3913/3914.  The value series also came supplied with polymer sights compared to steel Novak sights on the 3913/3914.  

The value line of S&W pistols supposedly had the same mechanical features and accuracy of the the higher priced pistols.  Generally the value series pistols were supplied with the single side hammer drop safety whereas most of the higher priced 3rd Gen pistols came with ambidextrous safties.   I have shot several of the value line of S&W pistols and functionallly I couldn't tell any difference except for the different sights and different shape of the slide.  If your not put off by the appearance the 908 is a great pistol.  I carried a 3913 NL for many years and it was very accurate reliable pistol.  I wish I still had my 3913 but I unfortunately traded it off when my Department moved away from S&W auto pistols.

The Gen 3 pistols came out in late 1989 and I was issued a 6904 in 1990.  The value series were introduced around 1997 in an effort to increase sales because of the popularity of Glock, Sig and Beretta 9's.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:19:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the history .

This is a bit of a leap for me as I am entrenched with revolvers, Glocks and a few 1911s .

I do think I kind of like this little gem
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top