Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2006 5:54:17 PM EDT
Just got a 92FS from cabelas...  I thought it was "new".  Was shocked to find
a "Beretta Certified Used Firearm" certificate inside the box when I got home...
I didn't look to closely at the paperwork in the store.

From the beretta web-site...
 "Firearms that are taken to shows, used for photo shoots, or sent to journalists for testing
  and articles, are then returned to our factory and inspected by our trained Gunsmiths.
  Depending on the mechanical conditions of the firearm, and if it passes rigorous testing
  and standards, it can be stamped 'Y' (indicating that it is a previously-fired firearm and
  that it has been inspected and refurbished); a certificate of inspection and grading is
  added to each firearm."

The pistol looks "new" to me, and I'm happy with it so far...
But I'm a little disappointed about this damned "Y" blemish!

Anybody have input on this issue?

thanks,
jjk
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Its like the "R" Porter Cable puts on their returned/refurbished tools.  Some people will buy a PC tool, use it, then return it for their $$$.  they cant sell it NIB, so the R is stamped.   If you got it at a less then new price then why cry?  

your 92 is a service side arm not a manle piece.  If the "Y" is on the front sight or interfers with the function, then i wouldnt worry about it.  if it bothers your that much, return it and pay the dif for a NIB.

the clerk should have told you it was "used".  But you as a buyer should know "let the buyer beware" too.  When in doubt ASK especially if they sell both Used and New.

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 12:12:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Frankly, I'd rather save money and buy one with a "Y".  

Unlike otherwise used guns, you know what you're getting with a "Y" and I think it gives it a little character knowing what it is rather than some run of the mill used 92FS.

It saves you a couple of bucks too.  Good all the way around.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 1:15:11 AM EDT
[#3]
If you couldn't tell it was used and it was inspected by Beretta, I would be happy.  I am assuming you didn't pay full price.  I would make it a shooter and not worry about keeping it pristine.  One of the Berretas I bought was used (not marked) and I still love it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 1:25:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't worry about it. If you got it from Cabelas it will be under some sort of warranty.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 'Y' model and it is honestly 100% shape but with a discount. I'm not too worried as Beretta seems to stand by their guns.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#6]
If you got a good deal on it I'd just smile and enjoy it.
If it was a show piece it could have no rounds down it and was just handled by big titty models flaunting the hardware. If it was a test gun for review by some moron who thinks he's Gods gift to the gun world than it may have only had a couple hundred rounds through it which means it's not even broken in yet.
If it looks good and the price was right than your doing well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the input guys.

Btw, I called cabela's and the dude I spoke with said all of their "new" 92fs models
are Y-stamped...  If I wanted something not Y-stamped I would have to get the 90-two.
I'm still pissed that they didn't make this clear during the purchase.

I'm keeping it...  The price was right, and I love it.
It's not worth the hassle to return it...

jjk
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:31:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Btw, I called cabela's and the dude I spoke with said all of their "new" 92fs models
are Y-stamped...  
jjk

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:03:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

are Y-stamped...  
jjk

In order to offer the price they are offering, they are only buying Y series pistols...

NBD, we're talking about Beretta here, not Jennings or Hi-point...

They're not going to sell you shit-in-a-box....
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:27:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

are Y-stamped...  
jjk

Yes....  I was confused as well.  I was shopping in the "new" gun section...
The floor model which I first handled was right in the middle of all the other
brand new guns.  I'm pretty sure the floor model didn't have a Y-stamp, and I
don't think it was marked as remanufactured/recertified/etc on the tag.

He grabbed one from the stock room for me and I inspected it....
I remember seeing the Y-stamp and I thought - "That's funny, I wonder what that is..."
But I didn't ask...  (I obviously wasn't aware of what the Y-stamp meant at the time)

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:56:00 AM EDT
[#12]
There are 3 grades of "Y", mine was a Y1 and according to the certificate it "may" have been fired. Mine looked new/unfired. it have a couple of wear marks from loading a magazine, but that was it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:59:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thanks for the input guys.

are Y-stamped...  If I wanted something not Y-stamped I would have to get the 90-two.
I'm still pissed that they didn't make this clear during the purchase.

I'm keeping it...  The price was right, and I love it.
It's not worth the hassle to return it...

jjk

when I bought my "Y" from Cabela's the price tag said clearly that it was re-manufactured. I know this because I asked the guy what that meant.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:23:17 AM EDT
[#14]
If I may ask, how much was it? (ballpark figure if you don't want to be specific)
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If I may ask, how much was it? (ballpark figure if you don't want to be specific)

$450
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:12:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

the tag on my Y1 was $429, it was a incorrect tag but they honored it. With the gift card rebate I paid $329 +tax for mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top