Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2005 5:37:28 PM EDT
Hi everyone. Thanks for looking.

Im in the market for a new pistol. It doesnt have to be brand-Spanking new, just new to me.
I really like tha Berettas, but Im in a toss up between a 92, and a Glock 17.
Ive handled and fired both pistols. Is there anything that I should consider to endear me more towards the Beretta?

Ideally, Id like to find a 92 Elite. Please educate me on this model. Ive seen several models of the Elite, but I just looked at the pic thread and the "Elite" and the "Elite IA" stick in my head. How many variations of the "Elite" are there, and how does it differ from the standard 92F?

Finally, what is the going rate for a 92F, standard or Elite?
If it matters, I would prefer the 9mm over a 40.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:28:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Like you I have always liked the Beretta 92 or 96 but lately my tastes have taken me to the dark side and Glock is the tool of choice these days. while the Beretta would certainly serve you well, I consider the Glock to be the superior pisol especially when it comes to first shot accuracy. the heavy DA pull followed by the transition in the grip for the lighter SA pulls on the Beretta isn't conducive to accuracy or speed.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#2]
The beretta is more silencer friendly, if that is a concern... otherwise the glock wins hands down. The glock can still be silenced with the aid of a recoil booster.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#3]
So the general concensus is to get a glock? This is quite a surprise on a Beretta forum.

I still have a few questions in regards to the "Elite" 92/96 Berettas.

Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I will speak up and tell you that my personal tastes will never allow me to buy a Glock. I would pick any other pistol before a Glock. I just don't like how they feel in my hands.

Now for the Beretta, first they have a manual safety that has proven itself more than usefull in weapon fight/retention. Ask one of the officers that was not shot by his own weapon due to the manual safety. A feature not on a Glock.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:03:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Only get the Glock if that is what you want. The Beretta 92 is every bit as good as the Glock and the Glock is every bit as good as the Beretta realy. My 92 smokes my Glock when it comes to accuracy but I like the Glocks trigger pull better. I hate Berettas DA pull. Mine are both 100%reliable but my G19 is better as a CCW pistol because it is smaller. If you want a full sized pistol though the 92 is one of the best and so is the G17. If you like the Elite I would save until you could get one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:25:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the Beretta, it has style, and it fits me better.  Personal criteria should be what you base your decision on, not what goofballs on the internet say.  They are both good guns, the Beretta is better looking, more classical/conventional in design, and has a grip angle that is more favorable to most.

The Glock is TOUGH, the mags are less expensive, and did I day it was tough?  

Both are reliable and will suit their owners well as long as the owners do their part.

I carry a Beretta, but won't knock anyone for whatever choice they made.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had almost all cal. of glocks and both 92's and 96 Ber.,  All the glocks have gone except for a G26 just because of it's small size.  My number of 92's and 96's have went up. I have put Wolfe spring kits in all my Beretta's and the triggers are very nice now.  I'll take the beretta any day but I think the glock is a good gun too.  I just find it easier to hit the bullseye with my Berettas and that is what matters most.  JMO
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So the general concensus is to get a glock? This is quite a surprise on a Beretta forum.

I still have a few questions in regards to the "Elite" 92/96 Berettas.

Thanks for the advice.

1911 and Glocks are king when it comes to popularity.  There are many reasons why that is.   Most people in their right minds aren't going to argue that point.  But what works for everyone else isn't always what we want. I loooooooove the way the Beretta M9 / 92 feels.  And I like 9mm.  And I like the way it looks too.  My main concern is how reliable it is, and that I intend to find out.  I'm sure there are many who will tell you it passes their relibility test with flying colors.  Even though everyone whines about the fact that the Govt. shouldn't have adopted it because it was political, it still met their requirements from what I understand.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#9]
A beretta 92 is kinda big for a 9mm that only holds 15 rounds relative to what else is out there.  It was my first real handgun but I let it go a long time ago.  It was a really nice piece though.  I have yet to find a pistol with an action so smooth.  

Glocks and berettas have very different manuals of arms.  I don't believe one is better than the other, just different.  I had 100% reliability from both.  If you're concerned about beretta reliability based on what you've heard about the M9 I wouldn't worry about that.  Many military M9s are just plain worn out.  Another issue was with faulty, Non-OEM magazines.  

As a civilian consumer, you shouldn't encounter either of these issues.  

Try them both, it's mostly subjective.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top