Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2023 1:06:54 AM EDT
Picked it up on EE here, should be in by the end of the week.

I've owned a Taurus PT-99 since the 80's, used a M9 in the Army, and have a couple of other Beretta's, so I'm familar with the platform, but haven't owned myself a 92 seires.  Couple of questions:

Are all Beretta 92 mags compatible?  I've seen there's a Vertex or such frame that's out now - does it use different mags or all all the same?

Any difference in Megar or Beretta mags for quality and reliability, or whatever cheaper?

What's the standard 92 mag loading now - 17 rounds?  I've seen Megar flush ones that are 18.  Is the M9A3 17 rounds?  What was the M9 - 15?

I know my Taurus mags won't work - besides the mags, are there other parts that are compatible between the Taurus and the Beretta?  I had my Taurus barrel threaded for use with a suppressor - can I use that barrel with the Beretta/Wilson?

Anything else to know?

Thanks,

Link Posted: 1/19/2023 1:44:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Picked it up on EE here, should be in by the end of the week.

I've owned a Taurus PT-99 since the 80's, used a M9 in the Army, and have a couple of other Beretta's, so I'm familar with the platform, but haven't owned myself a 92 seires.  Couple of questions:

Are all Beretta 92 mags compatible?  I've seen there's a Vertex or such frame that's out now - does it use different mags or all all the same?

Any difference in Megar or Beretta mags for quality and reliability, or whatever cheaper?

What's the standard 92 mag loading now - 17 rounds?  I've seen Megar flush ones that are 18.  Is the M9A3 17 rounds?  What was the M9 - 15?

I know my Taurus mags won't work - besides the mags, are there other parts that are compatible between the Taurus and the Beretta?  I had my Taurus barrel threaded for use with a suppressor - can I use that barrel with the Beretta/Wilson?

Anything else to know?

Thanks,

View Quote

I prefer the sand resistant 17 round mags. I wouldn’t use or trust Taurus or Megar anything, just my opinion.

M9A3 uses the 17 rounders and the M9 and 92 were 15 rounders but all mags will work IIRC in the 92 frame.

Link Posted: 1/19/2023 9:36:42 AM EDT
[#2]
To help you, here is a video that Ernest Langdon of LTT fame did. He states that his personal favorite is the Mec-Gar magazines.

LTT Beretta 92 Series magazine review

BTW, you will like your new 92G Centurion Tactical. I bought one a few months back.

Attachment Attached File

I also have a 92G Brigadier Tactical.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've got both factory 18rd and Mec-Gar 18rd mags for my 92X.  Both seem equally as well made.  Mec-Gar is a oem manufacturer for several firearms companies, including Beretta at one point IIRC.

I feel like I've read somewhere you could get Taurus mags to work with a dremel cut, but may be mis-remembering.  I think the barrels should swap, not 100% though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Mec-Gars are fine. Keep an eye on beretta online sales to stock up on theirs.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I have that same gun. I'm not even really a M92 fan but there is no denying its a great gun. I would highly recommend 1 upgrade though... the LTT Optimized Performance Trigger Bar. Thank me later

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I prefer the sand resistant 17 round mags. I wouldn’t use or trust Taurus or Megar anything, just my opinion.
View Quote

LOL - Silliest thing I heard all week. Mecgar makes some of, if not "the best" mags in the world. When Mecgar is an option, it's the right option.

Make sure to get the 18rds with the Anti-Friction coating... Mec-Gar MGPB9218AFC
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have that same gun. I'm not even really a M92 fan but there is no denying its a great gun. I would highly recommend 1 upgrade though... the LTT Optimized Performance Trigger Bar. Thank me later

LOL - Silliest thing I heard all week. Mecgar makes some of, if not "the best" mags in the world. When Mecgar is an option, it's the right option.

Make sure to get the 18rds with the Anti-Friction coating... Mec-Gar MGPB9218AFC
View Quote

Ok
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is the correct answer. MecGar is solid, almost all of mine are MecGar with the anti-friction coating and I’ve never had a problem. They’re very highly regarded by the Beretta 92 crowd.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Got it in yesterday, and it looks and feels great.  I'll take it out to the range next week and try it out.

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Tagging this as I am considering one myself.

Question, when purchasing a new one is Wilson Combat the only place to get one?  Is their trigger job worth the extra cash?

As to MecGar, they are rock solid.  Best mags available.  Wish I could get some for my old 92S.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Question, when purchasing a new one is Wilson Combat the only place to get one?  Is their trigger job worth the extra cash?

As to MecGar, they are rock solid.  Best mags available.  Wish I could get some for my old 92S.
View Quote

I believe that there are a few other retailers selling the Wilson Combat 92G Centurion Tactical, but I would recommend buying direct from Wilson Combat if they have one in stock. Right now, it appears as though they do have them available.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I used a silencerco beretta barrel in my Taurus pt99. So I think it should work the other way around. May have to swap locking blocks.

The Mec gar mags - 20 rounders have worked flawlessly for years.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mine was used, and I'm the third owner I was told, though it looks brand new.  I don't think mine had the trigger job on it - that said, it's a great single action trigger, with just a bit of take up, then a nice low weight release.  Double action is OK - they're never that great on anything except a tuned revolver.

I'd probably get the trigger job done if I was buying it new - it's a pain to send things back to the manufacture if you want it done later, and finding a good smith is hit or miss.  It's only going to make it better, so it's just a money question for you.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:39:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Will take it out to the range next week and see how it does.  I'm expecting it to shoot very well from the fit, finish, feel, and trigger pull of it.  It's a very nice and well made pistol.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Will take it out to the range next week and see how it does.  I'm expecting it to shoot very well from the fit, finish, feel, and trigger pull of it.  It's a very nice and well made pistol.
View Quote

There is always a trigger job in a bag from Langdon tactical. I recall the Wilson’s shipping with the d hammer spring factory which is about 16lb, so that will give a nice pull, but a trigger job could improve upon it, and you can go down to 13lb on the hammer spring and should keep it reliable.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Picture of mine:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 12:21:42 AM EDT
[#16]
What holder model do I need to look for to fit my gun?  I suppose one for a Centurion with a rail would be exact, but what about a 92 Compact with a rail, as that's what's in the Falco holsters drop down menu?

The compact, correct me if I'm wrong, has the Centurion length slide, but a shorter frame, and that shouldn't matter for a holster I'd think.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I ALWAYS check with George at MI Gunslingers before buying a Wilson combat product.  Great guy and good discount from buying direct.   He can get you any options you might want.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I took the gun out to the range today, and it shot great.  No jams (not that I expected any), nice fit and feel, only issue was related to me and putting my thumb on the slide stop, then wondering why the slide wasn't locking back on an empty mag.  Duh.  Once I adjusted my grip - no issues.

It was shooting a bit low for me, so I calibrated by aiming at the top of a 4" or so plate at 10 yards.  Once locked in, it would knock down the plate every time I didn't mess up.

I'm very pleased with it, now just need to get a holster for it.  Would a 92 Compact with rail holster work, as that's an option on the Falco holster drop down menu?  I'd think so, as the Compact has the same length slide as the Centurion, but the shorter frame/grip section, which shouldn't matter for a holster.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#19]
What weight ammo were you using?  That would have an effect on POA/POI.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Placed an order with Wilson Combat for one last evening.

Now the wait begins.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 10:17:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Will pick mine up tomorrow.  Range report and pics to follow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top