Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/10/2017 9:10:08 AM EDT
I like buying American made when the product is better than foreign made,  but in the case of most major gun manufacturers I’ll take the foreign ones any day of the week.
The new M9A3’s are now coming from Italy and are not American made anymore. From the M9A3’s I’ve seen the finish just does not hold up. I’m not sure that the finish on these new Italian pistols will be any better, same, or worse. However I have hopes it will.
I scuffed up good a grip screw, so I had to order another if you notice one missing in the photos. I like the rubber grips better that came with the gun over the hard plastic.

Link Posted: 12/10/2017 9:26:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Huh. I just picked up an M9A3. It’s my first Beretta. I’m floored by how smooth the action feels. Trigger is pretty good. I found an unfired trade-in for what I thought was a reasonable price. The pistol has some really great features.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Sweet. Is the tan finish Bruniton paint like the black Berettas?

Not a fan of the dual branding on the sllde. They used to only imprint Beretta USA or Beretta Made in Italy, not both at the same time.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#3]
If you wanted American you could have just waited for the next batch out of Tennessee.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seen photos of QC issues with the Tennessee Berettas. I'd choose the ones from Italia myself.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a tenn made A3. It is my first beretta and I did notice that the interior finish has worn quite quickly. As this is my first Beretta I wasn't sure if this was common or not.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Does your Italian m9a3 have a roll pin holding in the hammer spring into the frame? Or does it use the better dog bone style pin?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 12:22:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Two Volunteers and one Eye-talian here. I note no difference in quality.

Link Posted: 12/11/2017 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a tenn made A3. It is my first beretta and I did notice that the interior finish has worn quite quickly. As this is my first Beretta I wasn't sure if this was common or not.
View Quote
Interesting. I'll keep an eye out for this kind of stuff on mine. I honestly don't care if the finish starts to wear - it will probably increase the cool factor.

The pistol seems very well engineered. I guess that was my point from the first post is that the M9A3 looks so well built, I'm curious how the Italian ones would be better.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 8:17:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not a fan of the dual branding on the sllde. They used to only imprint Beretta USA or Beretta Made in Italy, not both at the same time.
View Quote
Might get harder to find those, Beretta has moved production of the M9A3 to Italy, I just the email from my Zanders rep stating that their last two batches of M9A3's were/are Italian made, and that Beretta has moved production back to the motherland.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Might get harder to find those, Beretta has moved production of the M9A3 to Italy, I just the email from my Zanders rep stating that their last two batches of M9A3's were/are Italian made, and that Beretta has moved production back to the motherland.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to see an email from beretta stating such
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would like to see an email from beretta stating such
View Quote
I would as well. The guy I spoke to at Beretta was very surprised at the news.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Deleted as a duplicate. Zombies per the system message.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I am ready to buy, just sell it in black please!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 4:43:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not what I've heard. Gun is a hit and demand still outstripping supply in TN, so Italy is picking up some of the slack, or something of that sort.

Personally I'd like an Italian one if I were to choose. Granted my Accokeek M9's slide has felt like it runs on ball bearings since day 1, but generally fit and finish seems to be most consistently excellent on Italian hardware.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#15]
My Accokeek M9A3 is pretty nice, but if I could guarantee an Italian M9A3 I'd probably buy one of those too.

This is probably blasphemy on ARFCOM, but I think European handguns in general are more nicely made than American ones.  Not just Beretta, but FN, CZ, HK, Glock, etc.  Which is ironic considering their more restrictive laws pertaining to civilian ownership.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#16]
There's some Italian A3s on Gunbroker for a small premium.

I just picked up a Gallatin A3 yesterday.  I don't see a single thing wrong with it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not what I've heard. Gun is a hit and demand still outstripping supply in TN, so Italy is picking up some of the slack, or something of that sort.

Personally I'd like an Italian one if I were to choose. Granted my Accokeek M9's slide has felt like it runs on ball bearings since day 1, but generally fit and finish seems to be most consistently excellent on Italian hardware.
View Quote
Very well could be true, I'm just relaying what my distributor sent via email to dealers regarding the Italian M9A3.  And any dealer that is ordering currently, should be able to get you an Italian one at no cost premium, as that is all that Zanders currently has in stock, is the Italian made M9A3's.  I just grabbed a couple yesterday for customers, no pricing difference between them.  No "G" models in stock, but the conversion kit is cheap, and easy to do yourself.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#18]
A Beretta rep said on another forum that Italy made some A3s to boost supply here.  They're still making 'em here and will continue to do so.

If you want an Italian, I'd snag one now.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I always preferred Italian Berettas.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My Accokeek M9A3 is pretty nice, but if I could guarantee an Italian M9A3 I'd probably buy one of those too.

This is probably blasphemy on ARFCOM, but I think European handguns in general are more nicely made than American ones.  Not just Beretta, but FN, CZ, HK, Glock, etc.  Which is ironic considering their more restrictive laws pertaining to civilian ownership.
View Quote
I don't know about other manufacturers, but that's generally been true of Beretta for a good while. The Accokeek facility turns out great products generally, but is sometimes a little inconsistent on quality. Fit and finish might be godlike on one pistol, but not so much on another. Fortunately I lucked out on my original M9 purchase back in '06 and the slide moves like a custom-fitted Nighthawk 1911 since day 1. Love that pistol. Gardone guns' quality is a lot more consistently high. Never handled a Gardone gun that didn't feel like it got some extra TLC during completion.

I didn't know they even made any M9a3s at Accokeek, I thought they started at Gallatin. Probably a collector's item there if so as it would've been a very short run.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 11:16:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I would like to get an Italian M9A3 simply because, but it would be hard pressed to improve on my two Volunteers.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 12:20:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Speaking of the M9A3...I have a line on a new Italy-produced M9A3. What would you guys consider to be both a good and great deal to be? I haven't kept up on Berettas lately.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 12:24:35 AM EDT
[#23]
To be fair, Beretta's finish has always been shit when it comes to staying on the gun.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 12:31:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Speaking of the M9A3...I have a line on a new Italy-produced M9A3. What would you guys consider to be both a good and great deal to be? I haven't kept up on Berettas lately.
View Quote
$950-$1050

I wouldn't pay more for it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 12:35:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I tend to agree with you about american designed handguns, especially right now and especially poly pistols.

The american market releases seem frantic to me........not measured, linear, or long lived.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 12:39:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
$950-$1050

I wouldn't pay more for it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 1:24:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I didn't know they even made any M9a3s at Accokeek, I thought they started at Gallatin. Probably a collector's item there if so as it would've been a very short run.
View Quote

Proof's in the pudding.  I know there were at least two production runs out of Accokeek, mine came out of the second batch.  Wasn't long after that they dried up while the move to TN happened.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 3:00:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
http://www.findsman.com/arfcom/m9a3_md.jpg

Proof's in the pudding.  I know there were at least two production runs out of Accokeek, mine came out of the second batch.  Wasn't long after that they dried up while the move to TN happened.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.findsman.com/arfcom/m9a3_md.jpg

Well I'll be.

If you sell it in favor of an Italian, let me know.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 8:02:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
My new one was $899. My used/unfired one was $799.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
You can get a new one right now for $878 (I think) from arms unlimited. I just bought a used one for $750 shipped from the EE.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the feedback. He started at $915 and dropped to $875. I wasn't willing to go above $800, so we didn't reach a deal. It may be worth more than $800, but not to me. I already have a 92FS that amongst other mods is threaded which I am very happy with, so I wasn't itching for the M9A3. I may circle back in the future if prices continue to drop and reconsider an M9A3.

Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Could be that the slides are being made in IT. The frames are still being made here.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 4:15:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree with you. They still have “old world” craftsmanship. Americans just don’t care. Boutiques are where it’s at.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#34]
I just picked up another A3 this afternoon - my local guy just received two of them and they were both Tennessee made. I have an early Maryland example also, and the first thing I've noticed is the frame anodizing on the Tennessee gun is much darker than on the MD gun. I'd show pics but the new gun is wrapped and under the tree - the wife wouldn't let me play with it yet other than the inspection in the LGS.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 4:44:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I just picked up another A3 this afternoon - my local guy just received two of them and they were both Tennessee made. I have an early Maryland example also, and the first thing I've noticed is the frame anodizing on the Tennessee gun is much darker than on the MD gun. I'd show pics but the new gun is wrapped and under the tree - the wife wouldn't let me play with it yet other than the inspection in the LGS.
View Quote
I was wondering about that. Some photos of the M9a3, the frame looks like a slightly tanned gray finish. Others are cat vomit color. Figure it can't all be lighting.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#36]
When I picked up my A3 back in October at Botach here in Vegas they told me they were getting Italian A3's in 6 weeks and if I wanted to hold off I could get one of those. I wanted one pronto and took a TN made one with me instead. Inspected it thoroughly first and fit and finish was excellent.

Always wondered if I should have waited for an Italian made one. Went into a gun shop last week that had one and I'm glad I didn't wait. Anodizing on the lower was almost a bright gold vs FDE or any version of tan. Slide had double the writing on it including extra import marks behind the saftey. My frames saftey warning (which I hate that Beretta even does) looks laser cut and the writing has very clear and crip letters. The Italian one looked like the letters where hammered into the frame.

Needless to say I have ZERO regrets taking the TN made one when I did.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I just bought an Italian m9a3 yesterday.  On Thanksgiving I bought a Browning 725 Citori that was listed for $2900,  which the same store priced matched at $1999, then $200 Browning rebate,  and I recieved  $450 back on the store card. That store had the A3 for $1199, but I had that store match an online site that had the Italian a3 on sale for $839, then they took a $20 coupon off and 10% coupon as well.  Once I factored in the rebate and the store card cash,  I paid less than $110 out of pocket for a new m9a3. They had a Tennessee model in stock as well, which was the same price.  They looked the same to me, but I didn't strip it down to check everything.  My Italian does have an almost gold or bronze tint to the frame,  but I'm petty sure the Tennessee model did too. The Italian model does have some extra roll marks,  and serial number placements,  such as the left side of the barrel.  The model number is slightly different too. The USA made A3's are JS92M9A3M and the Italians are J92M9A3M
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I was wondering about that. Some photos of the M9a3, the frame looks like a slightly tanned gray finish. Others are cat vomit color. Figure it can't all be lighting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, when put side by side the frame coloring is very minor. Here's a comparison - MD gun on the left and new TN gun on the right. There's a slight difference but when viewed together it's not much. Lighting plays a huge role in how the frames look. The second pic is showing two of my gifts this year (nice combo, too!), but notice how dark the frame looks in the bottom shot.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 12:15:08 PM EDT
[#39]
While comparing the early and late guns I also noticed a difference in the checkering. Interesting. Early production Maryland on the left, late production Tennessee on the right.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#40]
My Italian a3 also has the Md location too, but the checkering matches your Tennessee picture.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Took the new gun out back for a quick 20-round test. Not much of a sample but it's a good start. I shot ten 115-grain Blazer Brass and ten 124-grain +P HSTs at 12 yards, with only one flyer (jerked the trigger - dammit).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#42]
While cleaning my M9a3 and installing my elite ii hammer,  I noticed some qc issues on my frame and slide.  Most of the issues are just below the rear site.  If someone wants to post pictures for me, I'll email them to you.  I'm not sure if I'm going to live with it, or send it back.  I'm afraid of not getting an Italian model back,  or one that's even worse.

Link Posted: 12/25/2017 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Thank God! NOW I’ll buy one!
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Didn't know these existed. Fuck.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 3:57:51 PM EDT
[#45]
USA made m9a3's are known have qc issues including cerakote and tooling problems,  as well as other problems like sights falling out. I thought buying an Italian model I would be better off , apparently not.  My Italian made m9a3 has cerakote issues as well as a possible damage to the slide channel on the frame.  The front sight is not staked,  which  not sure is an issue or not.  I tried dealing with Beretta, but they were no help, and told it's only cosmetic.  If I sent it in,  I would be responsible for all work and shipping. So, as a last resort I called the store I bought from.  Keep in mind that it's a chain store. They said they would more than happy to let me exchange it for a non defective model.  Today,  I went and looked at 4 USA models 1 other Italian model.  The other Italian model was the Best of the 5, however it still did not have the front sight staked.  extractor staking was very nice on the Italian where as the USA models looked horrible.  In fact,  most of the USA models had ectractor sticking above the slide.  The guys at this store have been great to deal with and offered to order one in from Beretta too. They are holding the other Italian model just in case. My question,  What is Beretta doing differently with the front sight that it doesn't need stake on the Italian model?
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 12:34:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
USA made m9a3's are known have qc issues including cerakote and tooling problems,  as well as other problems like sights falling out. I thought buying an Italian model I would be better off , apparently not.  My Italian made m9a3 has cerakote issues as well as a possible damage to the slide channel on the frame.  The front sight is not staked,  which  not sure is an issue or not.  I tried dealing with Beretta, but they were no help, and told it's only cosmetic.  If I sent it in,  I would be responsible for all work and shipping. So, as a last resort I called the store I bought from.  Keep in mind that it's a chain store. They said they would more than happy to let me exchange it for a non defective model.  Today,  I went and looked at 4 USA models 1 other Italian model.  The other Italian model was the Best of the 5, however it still did not have the front sight staked.  extractor staking was very nice on the Italian where as the USA models looked horrible.  In fact,  most of the USA models had ectractor sticking above the slide.  The guys at this store have been great to deal with and offered to order one in from Beretta too. They are holding the other Italian model just in case. My question,  What is Beretta doing differently with the front sight that it doesn't need stake on the Italian model?
View Quote
Isnt that the entire point of a dovetail so you can just press the sights in the dovetail cut and not stake them? Beretta setup the M9a3 to have a more user friendly dovetailed front sight so you could swap the sights easily if you wanted .... If I am incorrect someone let me know but a dovetail needs no staking

Also what possible damage on the slide channel? And what cerakote issues exactly? Need detailsssssss
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 7:48:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Pits and scrapes on the rear of the slide, on the right side of the slide it has a lighter coat of cerakote which makes the right and left side look different.  The rear of frame at the slide channel also is deformed or the anodizing is messed up.

Why would the USA models have staked front sights,  but not the Italian modes?

I'll email you pictures if you want to see the issues.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#48]
They are having massive problems at the TN factory. There was a lengthy Tennessee news article published a couple weeks ago describing the problems which is in a thread on the Beretta forums.

-The factory has a very high turnover rate.
-There is no climate control system at the factory, this is causing the red safety paint to fall off, etc.
-They are using old machinery, not cutting edge equipment like Glock, S&W, etc. uses.
-Italian workers were flown in to re-train the workers at the TN factory...that is how bad it is.
-They are now staking the front sights even though this defeats the purpose of a dovetail, because front sights were falling off (inaccurate machining?).
-Cerakote is wearing easily (due to lack of climate control?).

I would not buy one sight unseen, no way, especially at $900. A lot of problem pics on the M9A3 Facebook group page as well. A Glock or M&P has 5X better fit and finish at half the price. The reviews on Glass Door about the factory are very eye opening as well.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#49]
What's the excuse for the Italian made m9a3's then?
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What's the excuse for the Italian made m9a3's then?
View Quote
To my understanding/research the Italian ones are definitely better overall compared to the ones from TN. It appears there is high demand for this pistol and Beretta management is all about getting as many out the door as possible, since demand is currently higher than supply. Many local LGS's can't even locate a G model (decocker only). Many of these should fail QC inspection, but one of two things is happening:

1) The QC inspector is not doing a good job.
2) Management is putting pressure on the QC inspectors to pass pistols that normally wouldn't pass since supply is behind (this gets my vote since Italy is letting questionable quality out the door also).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top