Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2014 5:23:26 PM EDT
Thought this info might be useful to other folks, as I had a bunch of nicks and scratches on my Bruniton coated M9 slide that I wanted to touch up but couldn't find a lot of info on repairing them.

My understanding is that the Bruniton is an epoxy-based finish over parkerization.  Epoxy paint was surprisingly hard to find, but I found some VHT Epoxy All Weather Paint.  This is an automotive paint so many auto parts stores carry it.  I got the satin black.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/epoxypaint/

First I cleaned the scratches with some finish safe gun cleaner.  The paint only comes in a spray can, but I just sprayed it on some plastic and then used a small brush and toothpick to fill in the scratches (all that plastic model experience from years ago really helped).  I let it dry for a few days, then GENTLY buffed using a cotton tip on a Dremel tool with a touch of plastic polish to blend it in a bit.

Not saying it's 100%, but it hid the scratches pretty well, and the epoxy paint should be a lot more heat and chemical resistant than normal touch up paint.  I'm quite happy but no guarantees on this, so if you want to try it test on a hidden area first to make sure you're happy with it!

Hope this helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top