Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2013 8:16:28 PM EDT
I shot my brand new 92fs today and it only had one malfunction.  

Around the 50th round it stove-piped.  when it did hot pieces of something hit me in the face,  im not sure if it was oil, because i was running it pretty wet, or powder or something?

has anyone experienced this?

so you know i was shooting WWB 115 grain FMJ

pretty glad i was at the indoor rage where goggles were manditory, after this i will never shoot without them,
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Try to not let the pistol rock in your hands, if it does it lessens the throw of the shell and can drop it back into the slide.

I also find the stock slide springs to be on the light side, you could try a heavier spring. The way you would know if you need a heavier one is when you fire, if you feel a a sharp hit as the slide bottoms out on the frame.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 6:13:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Try to not let the pistol rock in your hands, if it does it lessens the throw of the shell and can drop it back into the slide.

I also find the stock slide springs to be on the light side, you could try a heavier spring. The way you would know if you need a heavier one is when you fire, if you feel a a sharp hit as the slide bottoms out on the frame.

When you say don't let it rock in my hands do you mean simply hold it stiff and not limp wrist it?  

Also I am less worried about the malfunction and more curious about what it was that hit me in the face
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I am guessing it was oil that splashed back on you if you were running the pistol 'wet.'

Semi-autos don't require or like a ton of oil slobbering all over them. Use grease on your slide rails and other points of metal to metal contact and keep a very light coat of oil on the weapon unless you are putting it away for extended storage.

Link Posted: 1/24/2013 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the advice.  i have a tenancy to put on too much oil and trying to wipe off the excess.

Any certain gease you recommend?
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
pretty glad i was at the indoor rage where goggles were manditory, after this i will never shoot without them,

That is a good idea, I used to shoot without glasses because they were uncomfortable but I've had plenty of similar experiences. Now I never shoot without at least a nice pair of sunglasses.

Hope your malfunction was a fluke and you don't have any other problems.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 11:13:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 6:14:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a 92FS for over 15 years and fired thousands of rounds through it, having had only one malfunction. My malfunction was approximately 150-200 rounds after it was dropped (by my now ex-wife) into powdery sand. It stovepiped (Class II) and after tearing it apart/cleaning it I was VERY impressed how dirty it was and still fired those 150-200 rounds.

It sounds like the others have given you very possible causes for the malfunction. My guess is that you might not have had as firm of a grip and/or stance as you should. Also, it does sound like you are running it too wet. When you clean it just place a small amount on the contact points. I personally never had to replace anything (including the spring) and it worked perfectly up until the day that I had to sell it.

All in all, I LOVED my 92FS and will someday buy another. Good luck and have fun.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Did you clean out the magazines?

New Beretta magazines are chock full of factory preservative that can cause feeding issues
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am guessing it was oil that splashed back on you if you were running the pistol 'wet.'

Semi-autos don't require or like a ton of oil slobbering all over them. Use grease on your slide rails and other points of metal to metal contact and keep a very light coat of oil on the weapon unless you are putting it away for extended storage.

This.  Running it wet for the first few hundred rounds on the range is not bad.  Just to get it broke in.

Honestly, any moly grease will do.  Axel/bearing grease or lithium even.  A little on the rails and a fair amount on the barrel lugs.  I also then take a little CLP on top of that to loosen it up.  Or thin it out depending on how you look at it.  Not excessive.  

Realize that this is not a carry piece for me and I don't live in a dust environment.  YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top