Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2002 8:06:13 AM EDT
My buddy just bought his first gun, a 92FS Compact. We ran 100 rounds of Winchester 115gr through it during lunch, and I got a 10 shot group of 1-1/2" off hand at 25 feet (50 feet was about 4"). Conventional wisdom says 124gr. in a 92. Can it give better results than this? I've got a 92 on order through the NRA Instructor's program, and want to get a batch from ammoman before the gun gets here. My 9mm 1911 likes the 115gr, should I bother with the 124gr?
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#1]
As an ammo dealer I will tell you what I tell everyone in the accuracy department.  Try different loads, then stick with what shoots best and functions best in your gun. If you are happy with those results stick with it an experament when you have the time.
As an example we have a guy that buys Black Hills .223 75gr. match for his standard factory mini 14.  He shoots 3 inch groups at 200 yards.  This should never happen but it works for him.  Why would I tell him to buy 55gr. ammo that the gun was made for?

Just because the military spec calls for a 124gr. bullet does not meen that it will always shoot best in everyones gun.
The 115gr. ammo shoud extend the life of your gun as opposed to the militarty +P ammo, but you would probably never wear it out anyway.

I am known here for my intense dislike of the model 92, and do not know what the military specs are on accuracy, but that sounds like good accuracy to me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
As an ammo dealer I will tell you what I tell everyone in the accuracy department.  Try different loads, then stick with what shoots best and functions best in your gun. If you are happy with those results stick with it an experament when you have the time.

I am known here for my intense dislike of the model 92, and do not know what the military specs are on accuracy, but that sounds like good accuracy to me.

I have noticed your "less than positive" responses on the 92 . All the more reason to consider you impartial on this question. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#3]
No problem. Just because I don't like the gun does not meen I can not be honest and fair in answering a question.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top