Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2009 10:41:54 PM EDT
I'm trying to decide between buying a 226 X-5 Tactical or a 226 Elite Dark and I need some outside illumination on the topic.  I've played with both guns, and was impressed by both.  I prefer the DA/SA on the 226 Elite Dark, but the SA trigger on the X-5 was amazing.  Both have night sights and threaded barrels––so aside from the trigger difference I don't see that many differences with the two guns.   I'm leaning towards the X-5 because of its trigger and it is completely German made (though sadly not a Mastershop gun).  The only edge the 226 Elite Dark could have is that it has the short reset trigger and it is cheaper.  

I would appreciate some thoughts/comments.  I'm really leaning towards the X-5, but I want to make sure I'm making an informed decisions.  I've read as much as I can find on the X-5 tactical (there isn't all the much) and I'm pretty familiar with the 226 Elite series.  I'm planning on using this gun as a CC gun (in the winter) and I would eventually like to get a can for it.  Where am I right/wrong/mistaken?  Thanks!

Schrek
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#1]
To me the comparison between these two guns is like comparing a Lexus to a Honda both are great cars that I'd love to have and do what they were made to do but if I could afford the Lexus it would be in my garage and not the Honda
If I could afford a 226 X-5 Tactical I would have one in my safe.

FYI:  I have a 226 ST elite and love it but I'd trade it in a second for an X-5

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:17:53 AM EDT
[#2]
While I dont have any experience w/ an elite I do have an X5 tactical threaded barrel. This gun shoots alot better than I ever will. Btw Maui I really like your ST ELITE, you have quite the collection. Here is a lousy pic of my X5
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I received my 226 dark elite three weeks ago.
Ordered back in March.
I cannot answer anything about the X5 but I can tell you this.
My 226 dark elite has become my favorite. I didn't think anything would climb above my favorite 1911.
I'm not that good of a shot and it's the only handgun I have that put's on ragged hole in the target.
I love the feel the SRT trigger is awesome!
Even my buddy who has almost one of every H&K made in his collection has now put one on his list.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I wouldn't trade my 226 elite dark for nuffin!
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#4]
The Elite Dark is a gussied up 226.  Get the X5.  No comparison.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmm, so far, you guys are selling me on the X-5.  I've shot a lot of 226s and really liked them, I just wasn't sure if the extra work on the 226 elites brought them close to the quality of the X-5.  When I get one...I'll post some pics!
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#6]
id say get the x5 tb its 1000x better then a normal 226 still kicking myself for not getting a x5 tb when my dealer had 4 of them
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I just put a deposit on a X-5 Tactical with a threaded barrel––I'll post pics when I get it!  Thanks for all the commments!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Elite Dark is a gussied up 226.  Get the X5.  No comparison.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o257/chet007/X-Five137.jpg

I've got a SIG P220 SAO, never cared much for the DA/SA P220, or P226's.  That X5 is what I'd get if I where making that decision.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#9]
They're completely different guns.  They might as well be made by different companies, which in a sense, they are.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They're completely different guns.  They might as well be made by different companies, which in a sense, they are.

The P220 and the P226 or the P226 and the P226 X-5?  I know the X-5 is entirely German made.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:53:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The P220 and the P226 or the P226 and the P226 X-5?  I know the X-5 is entirely German made.

The X-5 is completely German made.  Any other new model Sig is not.  Big difference in QC and just overall workmanship.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top