Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2003 11:58:42 AM EDT
Need some info on Pro Mag pistol mags. there Web site offers full lifetime replacement. Is this like USA brand magazines under a different company name? There Hi Cap Pistol mags dont seem to retail very high? Whats the quality and preformence like? Reliable in Sig P228?
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The majority consensus on the Pro Mag brand is to avoid them.  Most aftermarket mags like ProMag, USA, etc, are not deemed reliable.

With that said, I have several Pro Mag hi-caps for my 228. 3 of them were very reliable from the start.  I did get one used one, and it wouldn't keep the slide locked back when empty, and had multiple failures to feed.  The mag spring was quite loose and easy to load....In fact I could squeeze 15 rounds into a 13-round mag.  I replaced the spring, and it works well.  I don't know what it is, but every other pro mag I've owned for different pistols have been unreliable.  The SIG 228 and 226 have accepted them with open arms.

The best aftermarket hi-cap mags are made by MecGar...as they were one of the original manufacturers for SIGSauer.  Unfortunately, these sell for nearly the same price as factory hi-caps.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:16:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Try this guy...the add is for shotgun barrels, but he tells me he also has Sig 226 & 228 mags from Police trade-ins at good prices, too. Good communication, etc...gotta be better than Pro Mags!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=47&t=167111
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Try this guy...the add is for shotgun barrels, but he tells me he also has Sig 226 & 228 mags from Police trade-ins at good prices, too. Good communication, etc...gotta be better than Pro Mags!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=47&t=167111

His mags and prices are the best. I have ordered several form him twice.
Will order more when I get more cash.
Great service.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:50:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I have 2 PRO MAG high cap mags for my 228.  They work.  I have yet to have any problems with them.  They were definetly worth the $14 that i paid for them.

I cant figure out why anyone would try to load 15 rounds into a 13 round magazine????

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I cant figure out why anyone would try to load 15 rounds into a 13 round magazine????

Some followers are built differently than others.  Some aftermarket mags were built with a higher-than normal capacity than originally intended.  Some aftermarket mags have crap springs that allow more rounds than expected.

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have three pro-mags. They worked fine until one wouldn't load. Rounds jammed on the ramp. I sent it back to pro-mag and they sent me a new one. No questions. It worked fine. MacGar is best; as I understand it, they mnfg the mags for SIG. I use SIG mags when I want to be sure I don't get jams. With my tush on the line, I rely on SIG, all SIG, all the time. The pro mags are great on the range. Why not have fun. Re-loading isn't as much fun as shooting!

SIGnature
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top