Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2006 8:49:32 AM EDT
Just got my wife a P239 in .40s&w. We went to shoot it and when she shot the gun empty the slide would not lock open.

When I shot it it would lock open.

Is she "limp wristing" the gun?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:12:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like it, though I am surprised she did not experience any feed problems if that is the case.  I assume you used the same mag that she had trouble with?

.40 is probably pretty snappy in the little 239...  what is your wife used to firing?

-tjg
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Is she riding the slide lock lever while firing?  It's very easy to do this with the P239.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Sounds like it, though I am surprised she did not experience any feed problems if that is the case.  I assume you used the same mag that she had trouble with?

.40 is probably pretty snappy in the little 239...  what is your wife used to firing?

-tjg

Yes, I'm using the same mags. This is her first gun and she is going through a 40 hour defencive pistol course 8 hours at a time in 5 different classes. She has shot a 9mm and she said that this gun in .40 does kick harder than the G19 Glock she shot for her carry class but the G19's grip was just too bulky for her.

I'm confident with training and practice she will have no problem with the .40s&w.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is she riding the slide lock lever while firing?  It's very easy to do this with the P239.  

Never thought of that. I'll keep an eye on that. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#5]
A recently bought a 239 DAK, it did the same thing.  I took the slide off, put some oil in the area between the slide release and the frame and worked the slide release up and down numerous times, problem solved.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
A recently bought a 239 DAK, it did the same thing.  I took the slide off, put some oil in the area between the slide release and the frame and worked the slide release up and down numerous times, problem solved.

+1 also make sure that area is clean and has no burrs.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yes, check this, too.  I had an embarassing time with my P239 during a Blackwater class.  Numerous failures to lock on empty, including three mags in a row on a single drill.  Once I got home I monitored it closely and found this to be the problem.

It may be partially due to the Hogue rubber grip I installed on it, as the grip mates very closely to the slide lock so my thumb can't feel it.  My normal firing grip would be so close to the slide lock that the recoil would cause my thumb to hold it down.  (This is with the 357 Sig)

Ensure she has proper stance and grip to eliminate limp wristing, as mentioned earlier, then watch for the thumb.  Run a few 2-3 round mags through with her intentionally holding her thumb out a bit.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Thanks guys, I'll post what I find out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Wife took her class today. No slide lock problems. I put a set of Hogue grips on her gun and I think that made it easyer for her to hold on to it stopping the "limp wrist".

Thanks guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top