Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2006 1:57:26 PM EDT
I just bought a new Sig 220 .45.  The recoil spring is the factory 20lb. To me, it is very strong. I was thinking of changing it out with either Wolff or Wilson reduced power springs. I was wondering which one to use with standard 230gr FMJ rounds with out comprimising functionality or excessive wear.
I will not shoot +p or higher power rounds with a reduced pwr recoil spring.
My question is which to use 18lb, 16lb or what?
I already  ordered a hammer spring pak and will try them to see if I can improve trigger pull without causing FTF's.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:25:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you shot it yet?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:34:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Have you shot it yet?

Yes, I have put about 100 rounds through it. I know that guns are tight when new but I guess I don't want to wait to shoot 1000 or so rounds through it to smooth it out.
I put spring kits in some of my revolvers and they are a dream compared to the factory springs.
This will be my first experiment with a semi-auto. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with the different lb springs available?  I am aware of the problems that changing a recoil spring on a semi-auto may present. I do not want to make my gun unsafe or wear it out faster than normal!
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been pondering this same issue on my 220 and am skeptical of going with an underpowered spring. The factory put a 20lb one in for a reason. I have installed extra power springs in other pistols though. I have been watching to see if someone has done it and what the effects were. I have an ST model that has a steel reciever so it could probably handle a reduced spring but I have not tried it yet. It would be real intersting to convert it to .45 Super but I have not heard of any one doing that with a 220 either.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not much of an expert, but I'd say if those 100 rounds went through OK you'll be fine with the stock 20lbs'er.  I think the reduced power springs are for shooting light powered loads, if you shoot normal factory ammo, you'll be fine.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:54:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a used sig 220

I got wolf spring from brownells, went w/ standard weight

Have never had a problem w/ this pistol  from lead reloads to gold dots

I'd recommend sticking w/factory spring and change every 5K

I run mine wet w/synth motor oil applied w/ plastic syringe

Never a failure, no sign of wear.  And mine is pre-Berlin wall coming down
Top Top