Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#1]
You're gonna need a fancy case yo house all of your modules and parts. I was poor and picked up a Harbor Freight case... Sam's Club had a bigger one for $30, but I was in a rush and got a slightly smaller one for more money.

But it would be cool to see a single case for all of your builds.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 10:06:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been thinking about that. I'd need one for...At least four or five pistols, plus an additional top end when all said and done. And I imagine that won't be the end of the collection, just my current finished builds plus planned projects list
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#3]

My mutt doesn't appreciate my dryfire practice, too noisy in his opinion
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Wanted to get a range day in before a blizzard shuts the state down tomorrow. 300 more malfunction-free rounds through RS320B today, bringing the total to just under 1,000 rounds without issue.

One interesting development, the R1 optic on RS320A (with 4,200 rounds through it) has started to flicker on and off when the slide cycles. I know it's not a dead battery as I just changed that yesterday. I'm going to try bending the contacts up a bit to get better engagement - If that doesn't solve the problem, it'll be going to Sig to get fixed.

Additionally, continuing to shoot both of these guns side by side has done nothing but confirm my preference for the Apex trigger kit, as well as appreciation for the ESP magwell. If you have a P320, I highly recommend getting each installed
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While I'm changing out parts for (in my opinion) superior alternatives, I've decided to swap my Springer Precision base pads for some of Taran Tactical's new P320 pads. When I first started compiling parts for this project, Springer Precision was really the only name in the game putting out quality extended base pads for the P320, particularly ones that would work with the X-Series magwells. TTI however recently released a version of their legendary Firepower base pads for the P320 which are also compatible with the X-Series magwell, so it's time to upgrade.

Should result in the same capacity in both lengths (23- and 27-rounds), but in my opinion toolless attachment/removal and no modifications required to the magazine body makes the TTI extensions a better choice
View Quote
More talk about extended mags please.   Any lockback issues on empty with these modified mags?  I read on one of your listed vendors sites that lockback would not be engaged with the spring kit.

Now that you've ran these through the paces for quite some time....what is your absolute GO TO combo for extended mags?

I'd like one or two extended mags (Happy Sticks) to stow away for emergency SHTF.

I'm specifically interested in a setup for compact medium grip.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:58:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Every mag I have properly locks back on empty. I have three setups as far as mags go;

1. Sig 15-round tube, OEM spring and follower, Taran Tactical +2 base pads. Results in a 17-round capacity, but it's a tight fit; would be difficult to reload. I use these with my Compact grip module with Springer ESP magwell and they're a nearly flush-fit, best for CCW loaded in the pistol as they don't extend much further than the magwell, which minimizes printing. This setup will not seat properly in a Compact grip module that has not been modified for the Springer magwell, part of Springer's installation process trims the bottom of the grip module backstrap and results in enough clearance to fully seat the magazine.

2. Sig 17-round tube, Grams Engineering 11-coil spring and follower kit, Taran Tactical +6 base pads. Results in a 23-round total capacity with enough wiggle room to easily reload, and the Grams follower retains lockback on empty. These will fit a Compact grip module whether you have a magwell or not, but will likely require Springer's magwell for use in a Fullsize grip module. I carry one of these for a CCW reload.

3. Sig 21-round tube, Grams Engineering 13-coil spring and follower kit, Taran Tactical +6 base pads. These are my happy sticks, with 27-round total capacity, easily reloadable, locks open on empty. One of these are in the gun when it's on nightstand duty with another nearby. Will fit in either a Compact or Fullsize grip module, with or without magwell. They're a bit unweildy for carry though, best for nightstand use or, as you mentioned, SHTF open carry.

All of these combinations have been 100% reliable for me. Taran base pads are available through his website, Grams Engineering spring and follower kits available from Springer Precision. You can also use Springer Precision's base pads in place of the TTI base pads, you'll get the same capacities with the given tube and Grams spring and follower
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Appreciate that thorough post.

I cannot find the +5 extensions on Taran Tactical’s site???  All they show is a +2.

Any suggestions on sources for these parts?

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmm...They might be out of stock. Shooter's Connection usually carries them but they say they're out of stock as well. I'd check back between those two websites every now and then and they should come back when they have more of them
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Copy that.  Thanks a lot
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I hope you have better luck with the Romeo 1. I'm on my 4th one on my P229. Not my carry anymore, carry a M17 comm', P320 M17 as practice, shoot it until it breaks gun.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I hope you have better luck with the Romeo 1. I'm on my 4th one on my P229. Not my carry anymore, carry a M17 comm', P320 M17 as practice, shoot it until it breaks gun.
View Quote
It's been a reliable optic for over 4,000 rounds. The one that's having issues is one of the earlier versions too, from before they seem to have worked most of the bugs out. I bent the contacts up a bit and can't get it to recreate the issue with dropping the slide which caused the optic to turn off yesterday. Will have to wait until I get back to the range to see if it holds up to firing. If not, it's taking a trip to Sig
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 12:16:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would HIGHLY suggest going with the Springer ESP magwell and sending in your grip module to have them attach it. Part of what they do is to cut a small notch in the bottom of the front strap of the grip module which a small tooth on the front of the inside of the magwell interfaces with and uses to help lock it in place. The ANR Designs magwell does not have a similar tooth to bite into the grip module and therefore would be much more prone to slipping off the grip module under hard use, even with epoxy.

If you're worried about downtime, you could always purchase a separate Compact grip module (they're only about $40 each) and send that one off to Springer for their magwell. That way you still have at least one grip module and a shootable gun while you're waiting for the magwell installation
View Quote
Dangit OP. You’re gonna cost me some $$$.   Dang this site.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 4:10:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Dangit OP. You’re gonna cost me some $$$.   Dang this site.
View Quote
That's my favorite pastime
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I emailed Springer Precision about the colors of their magwells.  Specifically asked if they could do FDE and OD green to match grip mods.

Lady promptly returned my email and said they’re in the works.  Told her I’d be a buyer once those are up.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I emailed Springer Precision about the colors of their magwells.  Specifically asked if they could do FDE and OD green to match grip mods.

Lady promptly returned my email and said they’re in the works.  Told her I’d be a buyer once those are up.
View Quote
Oh this is good to know...It's obviously a purely aesthetic thing, but if it's possible to get an ODG magwell to match RS320B's ODG grip module, I might just go for it...
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Very interesting journey you're undertaking with P320's.

I'm just now thinking about addicting on to my lone P320 Carry/Compact so I have a couple of questions for you.
First off the barrel cut, you posted it's for balance but more aesthetics  if I'm understanding you correctly, it's not a potential failure point when the additional weight of the Romeo1  mounted correct?

The last question has to do with your Romeo1 shroud.  How much does the addition of the shroud affect your use of iron sights?  I'm installing Ameriglo S-181 sights to for back up, I was told that with those sights and the Romeo1 you have a 1/3 cowitness, how much does the addition of the shroud change that.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 4:04:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Looks like I can confirm, I've run into my first significant issue with this platform. The Romeo1 on RS320A (round count 4,200 all with this same optic) is now going out randomly when just sitting in the safe or my holster and doesn't come back on until I unscrew the battery cover and re-tighten it. I know for certain it's not a dead battery. I'll be contacting Sig tomorrow to get it sent in for service, and will update the thread when I hear from them as to what the issue is.

And happy (late) 3/20 day!
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 4:22:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Very interesting journey you're undertaking with P320's.

I'm just now thinking about addicting on to my lone P320 Carry/Compact so I have a couple of questions for you.
First off the barrel cut, you posted it's for balance but more aesthetics  if I'm understanding you correctly, it's not a potential failure point when the additional weight of the Romeo1  mounted correct?

The last question has to do with your Romeo1 shroud.  How much does the addition of the shroud affect your use of iron sights?  I'm installing Ameriglo S-181 sights to for back up, I was told that with those sights and the Romeo1 you have a 1/3 cowitness, how much does the addition of the shroud change that.

Thanks
View Quote
The weight reduction cut in the top of the slide? It helps reduce reciprocating weight and has an effect on aesthetics, yes - Whether that's positive or negative as far as aesthetics go is completely subjective. It does not adversely effect reliability or function of the pistol in any way that I've found, whether you have a Romeo1 mounted or not.

The shroud will minutely increase the height of the Romeo1, so you may have to experiment with front sight post heights a bit to get a precise POA/POI. I would reach out to Sig themselves, as well as Grayguns and Dawson Precision - Those will be your best sources to lead you in the right direction. I personally haven't experimented much with trying to find a front sight post that co-witnesses with the notch in the Romeo1, but those three companies have worked with the P320/Romeo1 platforms and getting iron sights to play nice together a lot.

Hopefully that helps a bit, feel free to ask any other questions!
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#20]

At this point I'm so used to pistols with RDS that it looks dramatically incomplete without it...RS320A's R1 will be in the mail to Sig by tomorrow. Until I get it back and mounted back up, the RS320B top end will be mated to the RS320A grip and FCU. This is precisely why I wanted to have a backup duplicate - I'm not without a functional pistol while things are getting repaired
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:13:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quick turn-around from Sig CS, got a confirmation email today that the optic is on its way back already
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#22]
This is a great build (or set of builds). You’ve given me some great ideas to go off of as I’m working on building up a full size (Nitron) P320 to be a solid range and competition gun. I’m already looking into the full size RX (with Romeo1) conversion kit so I can run multi divisions with the same grip. Keep up the great work and I look forward to additional updates.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 11:22:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Oh this is good to know...It's obviously a purely aesthetic thing, but if it's possible to get an ODG magwell to match RS320B's ODG grip module, I might just go for it...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bad news.  Springer Precision said no dice on these colors.  Said their anodizer discontinued those colors and they (Springer) have no solution for me on this.

That’s too bad.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is a great build (or set of builds). You’ve given me some great ideas to go off of as I’m working on building up a full size (Nitron) P320 to be a solid range and competition gun. I’m already looking into the full size RX (with Romeo1) conversion kit so I can run multi divisions with the same grip. Keep up the great work and I look forward to additional updates.
View Quote
Happy to help inspire others on their projects! Keep checking back, I have a LOT more interesting plans for this platform to come
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Bad news.  Springer Precision said no dice on these colors.  Said their anodizer discontinued those colors and they (Springer) have no solution for me on this.

That’s too bad.
View Quote
Eh. Would’ve been nice, but black still goes with everything
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Package received from Sig today, according to the manifest they decided to replace the optic with an entirely new one, which will include their most current generation circuit board and programming updates. Range time scheduled for this evening, will try to drop off the optic with RS320A’s slide tonight to be properly mounted and re-zeroed by my gunsmith.

As soon as my tax refund hits I’ll also be sending off RS320B’s grip module for Springer magwell treatment. Progress soon!
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
https://content.invisioncic.com/r270761/monthly_2019_04/94A795B1-BFF7-4942-A2D8-2217308B3049.jpeg.74f5d02c155bcb81b9b1c6de0bf631cb.jpeg

Package received from Sig today, according to the manifest they decided to replace the optic with an entirely new one, which will include their most current generation circuit board and programming updates. Range time scheduled for this evening, will try to drop off the optic with RS320A’s slide tonight to be properly mounted and re-zeroed by my gunsmith.

As soon as my tax refund hits I’ll also be sending off RS320B’s grip module for Springer magwell treatment. Progress soon!
View Quote
What's the serial on your red dot? I just got mine in yesterday. Sending slide off tomorrow for cut and midnight bronze cerakote.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What's the serial on your red dot? I just got mine in yesterday. Sending slide off tomorrow for cut and midnight bronze cerakote.
View Quote
99B003227BNE.

I have to be honest I have not a damn clue what any of those characters mean
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#29]

300 more rounds through the RS320B top end, currently mated to the RS320A FCU and grip module. Spent time tonight focusing on slidelock and retention reloads. Group shown is about 150 rounds, shot between 5 and 10 yards. The sight on RS320B is still only roughly zeroed, and clearly needs to be adjusted up some for proper POA/POI...

That said the new R1 and RS320A’s top end are with my gunsmith to be properly mounted and zeroed, and they said it should be ready by the end of this weekend
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#30]
If anyone in the Denver area is interested in putting a few rounds through RS320 themselves, I’ll be at Centennial Gun Club the afternoon of April 25th from 3-4pm, meeting another shooter so he can get a feel for the build. Let me know if anyone else is interested and I’ll tell you which lane I have reserved.

https://centennialgunclub.com/
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#31]

...Aaaand we’re back, RS320A reassembled into working order. Dropped RS320B back into the X-Carry grip module for now in preparation to send the ODG Compact grip out to Springer. Another benefit of the P320 platform - when you send your “frame” out for work, as long as you have a spare your pistol isn’t out of commission. I love this damn gun!
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Tax refund hit so made my order for ESP magwell and installation from Springer. Ended up purchasing an ESP magwell for both the ODG Compact grip module as well as the FDE Compact grip module while I was at it. Those will go in the mail tomorrow and based on Springer’s prior turnaround times I should have them back with magwells installed in a week or two!
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I wish the ewp’s would have been out before I picked up a bunch of glock parts because I’m way behind the curve.

As of now I have a compact that will probably be the carry piece and a threaded Carry for a host that will probably end up in my USW chassis. I like the looks of the X5 guns but I’ve got competition guns pretty well covered. Be interested to see if you get a sight tracker figured out. Kind of want to convert one of my STI’s to a tracker or a threaded(for suppressor) tracker but the conversion is a bunch of money. Costs as much as a nice 320
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Tax refund hit so made my order for ESP magwell and installation from Springer. Ended up purchasing an ESP magwell for both the ODG Compact grip module as well as the FDE Compact grip module while I was at it. Those will go in the mail tomorrow and based on Springer’s prior turnaround times I should have them back with magwells installed in a week or two!
View Quote
Get pics up of the outfitted fde and odg grip mods PRONTO
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Get pics up of the outfitted fde and odg grip mods PRONTO
View Quote
Will do as soon as I get them back!
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I wish the ewp’s would have been out before I picked up a bunch of glock parts because I’m way behind the curve.

As of now I have a compact that will probably be the carry piece and a threaded Carry for a host that will probably end up in my USW chassis. I like the looks of the X5 guns but I’ve got competition guns pretty well covered. Be interested to see if you get a sight tracker figured out. Kind of want to convert one of my STI’s to a tracker or a threaded(for suppressor) tracker but the conversion is a bunch of money. Costs as much as a nice 320
View Quote
Honestly a sight-tracking P320 isn’t even going to be all that difficult to make. All the basic required parts are aftermarket production components, it will just take a slight modification of one of those components to accomplish
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#37]
you planning on a actual island barrel or just putting the sight on a comp? The island barrels and the required machining can be pretty expensive on 1911/2011’s.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
you planning on a actual island barrel or just putting the sight on a comp? The island barrels and the required machining can be pretty expensive on 1911/2011’s.
View Quote
...The easy way...
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:18:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

...The easy way...
View Quote
lol fair enough
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 12:01:46 AM EDT
[#40]
I’m sure if someone had the time and funding necessary to produce a true island barrel and slide for the P320 it could be done. But I want a comp on it anyway, and that’s a quick way to make the comp that much more value-added.

ETA; I did get the grip modules in the mail to Springer today, should have them back soon. I should probably poke Bobby Carver to see where he’s at on the mount modifications...
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 1:15:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Meanwhile, Optics Planet has Apex flat forward-set trigger kits on sale for 26% off with free shipping, so...I ordered it. All of the parts to complete RS320B will be in my possession shortly
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 7:26:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Got to meet another shooter from the BEnos forums at the range today. He put some rounds through the RS320s, I put some rounds through his X-Five, we compared notes on P320s and a good time was had by all. He also mentioned the range’s upcoming steel challenge match on Wednesday the 22nd, which I’m thinking I’ll enter.

He also let me put a few rounds of Inceptor RNP 65gr +P Frangible ammo (this stuff; https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019020360/inceptor-sport-utility-ammunition-9mm-luger-p-65-grain-rnp-frangible-lead-free) down the pipe of RS320A to see how it ran with the comp, and HOLY RECOIL REDUCTION BATMAN! The comped topend really liked that stuff. Loud as hell but legitimately less felt recoil than a 22LR! I was a bit skeptical at first, considering way back when I first had RS320A completely put together I included some similar Inceptor ARX 65gr loads in my schmorgesborg of function test loads and it didn’t like them at all. Not sure if it’s just that the pistol has been broken in a bit more, or if the +P made the difference, but I think I’ll be picking up some more of the RNP +P rounds for fun range use as it really lets the compensator shine.

A picture of my first 100 round grouping through RS320A today, working mag changes and slidelock reloads, shot from the holster between 5 and 10 yards;

Link Posted: 4/30/2019 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#43]

My credit card is tingling...For those unaware, Alpha Foxtrot is one of several companies that recently released milled aluminum Glock frames. It would appear they are now teasing milled aluminum P320 grip modules...
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#44]

I love getting parts in the mail. Just need my ODG grip module back from Springer, get this Apex trigger installed and RS320B is done
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Still just waiting to get my modified grip modules back from Springer, then the Apex trigger will get installed and RS320B will be completed.

With the completion of RS320B so close, my thoughts have begun turning towards this third P320 that’s just been sitting in the back of my safe for a while. This is the gun I want to base a frame-mounted optic build on. I had originally planned to use Carver Custom’s Universal optic mount (still waiting on the modified parts that would allow that to work), but I’m leaning more and more towards trying to find an alternate route that doesn’t use up the rail space and thus preclude the use of a WML.

I have this image in my head of what I actually want this gun to look like when it’s done - the problem is, nobody currently makes the parts that I’m envisioning, and I don’t have the money or pull in the industry to convince a company capable of it to prototype them for me...
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 3:29:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Got my shipping notification from Springer, grip modules with magwells incoming!
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#47]

RS320B inches closer to completion. Got my Springer ESP magwell’d ODG and FDE grip modules back and re-installed the ODG grip module on RS320B. All that’s left is to get the Apex trigger kit installed and get a precise zero. The FDE grip module is being set aside for a future build

@MidwestJ
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#48]
That’s ODG with black grip mod looks sick man.

I like that.  Thanks for posting up.

Link Posted: 5/27/2019 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That’s ODG with black grip mod looks sick man.

I like that.  Thanks for posting up.

View Quote
Absolutely! The black accents of the magwell, comp, X300U, and R1 help bring out the green in the grip module and Multicam pattern as well. Makes for a good contrast of colors.

I will say, going with the Multicam Black cerakote and ODG grip module for RS320B were purely subjective aesthetic choices, but I do quite like the way it turned out. The importance is that mechanically speaking, both RS320s are identical. Makes training on either apply to both, and if I ever do have further problems with either one I won’t be without my primary blaster that I’m most comfortable with
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Sorry for the lack of substantive updates lately everyone, I’ve been pretty well bedridden for a while dealing with some medical issues (my lumbar spine is fubar due to genetics). That said, I’ve been using the downtime to put quite a few dryfire trigger pulls on a spot on my ceiling. I guess would that count as #trainlikeyoufight...?
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top