Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2004 8:46:54 PM EDT
hey guys,

I've been thinking about getting a handgun. I've been pretty much dead set on getting a Sig for my first handgun from day one. Only other real consideration was a G17  (I don't do manual external safeties).  

So i've been looking at Sig's website and I see the SigPro line yet I never hear much talk about it and I know it has been out for a while.

How are they? Are they junk or something? Tell me your experiences with them, I have never held or seen one.

BTW- you guys are gonna have to help me out sometime. I still can't decide what model Sig I want. Not sure if I want a 226, 226 Navy, 228 or a 239. Just not sure. I think i'll go with the fullsize combat handgun for my first though

Thanks,
Slov
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:32:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I am curious of this too.  I have heard so much about how accurate and reliable sig hand guns are.  (A family member marine turned cop relies on a P220 as his cary weapon).
Is this true about the Sig Pro models too?  

They are a lot cheaper than the full size Sig models.  Im looking at getting a new Sig Pro in .40 for $399.  

Is this gun as accurate as the full size P226 and the P220?

Is the P229 more accurate than the Sig Pro?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:32:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:41:56 AM EDT
[#3]
The SIGPro is very underated.  It's a quality pistol that I feel that is built as good as any other SIG and the trigger is better than most stock SIGs right out of the box.  The 2340 was designed as a .357 SIG so shooting .40 and 9mm is a piece of cake for it.  The frame rails are HUGE and thick and recoil isn't bad at all.  SIG also makes a rubber grip that you can change out on it and the pistol is also easily coverted to DAO or DA/SA.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:48:38 AM EDT
[#4]
very interesting. I just don't see how it can stack up against the 226 platform. Arguably the best handgun ever. I can't really see much room for improvement on the 226.  

I was dead set on getting a 9mm just because it is a nine, low recoil, cheap to shoot and easy to reload. I've sort of had a change of heart though. I'm thinking I want to get a 226 in .357sig or .40s&w, whichever one that lets me change back and forth with a barrel change. (I think that is possible) I think that is a great option.  

That being said... Since I want a 357sig or 40sw should I stick with the traditional 226 platform or look at Sigpro?

Glocks are out of the question at this point, they will be added to the collection later. I want the BEST, first...

thanks
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:35:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Both are great guns, the SIGPRO is the cheapest.  The 226ST is $1000 but is the lightest kicking .357 SIG I've ever shot.  You can go back and forth from .357 to .40 with either pistol.

Quoted:
very interesting. I just don't see how it can stack up against the 226 platform. Arguably the best handgun ever. I can't really see much room for improvement on the 226.  

I was dead set on getting a 9mm just because it is a nine, low recoil, cheap to shoot and easy to reload. I've sort of had a change of heart though. I'm thinking I want to get a 226 in .357sig or .40s&w, whichever one that lets me change back and forth with a barrel change. (I think that is possible) I think that is a great option.  

That being said... Since I want a 357sig or 40sw should I stick with the traditional 226 platform or look at Sigpro?

Glocks are out of the question at this point, they will be added to the collection later. I want the BEST, first...

thanks

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had my SP2340/357 for almost 5 yrs. now.  It was my first handgun.  Over the years, it's proved to be very well crafted, extremely accurate, and it's been totally reliable since day one.  The more I've used it, the smoother it has operated.  The .357 barrel is quite the "kick!"  That feature alone is one of its best attributes.  You can have two Sigs for the price of one & a third.

I've used it in IPSC competition, but the most fun is just punching paper at the range.  It's my loaded and ready to go home defense piece, also.  

My experience with this Sig model has been nothing but positive.  Yes, field take-down is a bit of a problem, but not enough to make me want to part with it.  If you shoot one, you'll like it.  But over time, your interests will probably evolve into other handguns, too.  Once you get one, it's hard to not want some more.  

Just like Sig_230, you'll find your true interest along the way and there's always another gun experience you'll want to try.  After my Sig, I moved on to 2 Glock 9mm's & 1 Beretta 96, and now I'm really into 1911's.  I got rid of the Glocks & the Beretta, but I still have the Sig!  And, several 1911's!!!  Who knows what's next?

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I have both the sp2009 and sp2340 chambered for .357 sig, both are great shooting accurate guns.... I highly recomend them for the price... and of course because they are a SIG
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had a 220 in .45 cal for 11 years and have loved shooting it.  However this year I purchased the 2340 in .40cal and it is awesome.  My best group with my 220 is 4" at 25 yards and the 2340 shoots exactly the same for me.  It's really fun to shoot, every bit as fun and accurate as my 220.  I researched quite a bit before buying the 2340 and all I could find was positive things said about it.

I mean, it's a Sig! This gun is true Sig quality inside and out.  I know there are some people who frown on polymer frames but heck the majority of the guns out there are Glocks so I would rather have a polymer Sig than a Polymer Glock. Try and rent a 2340 first and shoot it.  You'll see what we're talking about.  You'll have fun with it.

Albert
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Most Sig purists don't consider the "pro" a Sig.  It's always struck me as a solution looking for a problem.  It's big, it's blocky, yet it has a shorter barrel and sight radius.  How is that good again?  The controls are harder to manipulate than those on your standard Sigs.  The bore axis is awefully high, and contributes to greater felt recoil.  Because of the high bore axis, it doesn't take standard 228/229/226 mags.  Why on earth Sig would design a gun that takes a proprietary mag is beyond me.

I've generally considered the "pro" as the Sig for the guy that can't affor a Sig.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Sig 220, 226, 229 and 2340 and would stack the 2340 against any of the others.  I have never owned a Sig that I didn't like though.   I have shorter fingers and actually find the controls on the 2340 easier to use than the others.  The Decocker feels different but does the same job.  I really don't know anyone who has owned a polymer Sig that didn't like it.  We had a thread on this a while back and everyone that had one liked it.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#12]
norman, would it feel better to be shot by a classic Sig over a Sig Pro?  I mean, do you think it would make a difference?  Ultimately shouldn't the deciding factor be a gun you can handle and shoot accurately?  Maybe YOU can't shoot it, or maybe you don't like it but the bottom line is the Pro is made by Sig.  It's not a Sig copy, or wannabe, or not made by a company in Malaysia who named it the Sig Sour.  

Everyone has their opinions and their just that.  I can afford a brand new Sig today if I wanted one.  I could have afforded it the day I bought my Pro but I chose the pro.  It felt good, I liked the design and it fit my hand perfect.  When I shot it before I bought it I shot it as good as I do my 'Classic' Sig.  Plus it's not as bulky as my 220 is so it is easier to carry.

Hell my 5 Hoyt Pro Tecs (target bows) cost more than most Sigs, $900.  So you can consider it the poor mans Sig all you'd like but the bottom line is that it is a Sig.  Whether it's $100 or $1000.  It's all about what feels good in your hands, what you can hit with and what the Individual likes.

Gotta go, I can hear my cheap Sig Pro breaking as I type!

Albert
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I think the controls on the Sigpro are a vast improvement over the classic sig design, especially the slide catch lever.  The grip is thicker than that of a 226/229, so it feels a lot better to me to hold and shoot.  Some people dislike the decocker for some reason, but Im a lefty and have no problem at all using this pistol with my left hand.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#14]
The smigmo is an effort to compete with the less expensive Glock market.  The P series is far superior.

Joe
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
norman, would it feel better to be shot by a classic Sig over a Sig Pro?  I mean, do you think it would make a difference?  Ultimately shouldn't the deciding factor be a gun you can handle and shoot accurately?  Maybe YOU can't shoot it, or maybe you don't like it but the bottom line is the Pro is made by Sig.  It's not a Sig copy, or wannabe, or not made by a company in Malaysia who named it the Sig Sour.  

Everyone has their opinions and their just that.  I can afford a brand new Sig today if I wanted one.  I could have afforded it the day I bought my Pro but I chose the pro.  It felt good, I liked the design and it fit my hand perfect.  When I shot it before I bought it I shot it as good as I do my 'Classic' Sig.  Plus it's not as bulky as my 220 is so it is easier to carry.

Hell my 5 Hoyt Pro Tecs (target bows) cost more than most Sigs, $900.  So you can consider it the poor mans Sig all you'd like but the bottom line is that it is a Sig.  Whether it's $100 or $1000.  It's all about what feels good in your hands, what you can hit with and what the Individual likes.

Gotta go, I can hear my cheap Sig Pro breaking as I type!

Albert

Awefully sensitive.  Guess I hit a nerve.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I initially bought my 2340 for three basic reasons: 1) I wanted to try out a polymer frame gun (beyond range rental) and Glocks feel wrong in my hands; 2) It was affordable and could swing two calibers. 3) It was a Sig.
The only thing I didn't like at the beginning was the lack of the Sig takedown lever. Other than that I enjoyed it from purchase to present. This gun is just fun to shoot, and while it isn't my carry piece I wouldn't be worried if I had to defend myself with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top