Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2009 8:04:12 PM EDT
Today I was unloading my car and my G 19 fell out onto my driveway and the rear sight looks to be about an 1/16" out of alignment to the right. I never messed with the factory sights because they worked just fine.

Whats the best way to drift the rear sight without a glock sight tool?

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#1]
A brass punch or wooden or plastic dowel, and hammer.  Get it back to where you think it should be, centered, then you'll have to a little "trial and error" at the range to make sure it's adjusted correctly.

Make sure it's damn tight when you're done.  The factory rear sight has a "crush" area on the underside, it's one of the things that keeps it tight in the dovetail.  If your rear sight seems loose after it's adjusted, you should get a replacement one.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I just bought a new G19 yesterday and had night sights installed.  I don't need the factory sights now so if you need a replacement I'll give you my factory sights - just cover shipping.  IM me if you need 'em.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Just leave it where it is at.  Unless you are shooting out to 50 yards, that small of an adjustment isn't going to make a difference. Chances are, that is where it was at in the first place, and you only noticed it because you dropped the gun.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:24:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just leave it where it is at.  Unless you are shooting out to 50 yards, that small of an adjustment isn't going to make a difference. Chances are, that is where it was at in the first place, and you only noticed it because you dropped the gun.

Yeah, it might be worth it for the OP to have a good hard look at it.  Is the sight dinged?  Is it visibly obvious that it's moved?  Good idea to make sure, of course........................but I disagree with "just leaving it" if it has in fact moved.  Those sights are there for a reason.  Yes, when "very close-in" you shouldn't even be using the rear sight.....................................but you want to be able to use the pistol accurately at extended distances.

I would never just "leave it" if a rear sight on one of my own pistols had shifted from an impact.  I'd want it to be back as it should be, one way or another.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:57:54 PM EDT
[#5]
The next time you to the range with your Glock.  Place your target at 10 yards.  Sight in with your front sight completely to the left within your rear sight and shoot.  Then sight in completely to the right within your rear sight and shoot.  After you have done that, come back and tell us that 1/16 of an inch movement of the rear sight matters.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Today I was unloading my car and my G 19 fell out onto my driveway and the rear sight looks to be about an 1/16" out of alignment to the right. I never messed with the factory sights because they worked just fine.

This statement is clearly false or you wouldn't of had to make this post.  Get a quality pair of metal sights on your Glock ASAP.  The stock plastic ones really are crappy sights and not good for much on a hard use pistol like a Glock.  But to answer you question, just get a punch and hammer and drift it back to center.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This statement is clearly false or you wouldn't of had to make this post.  Get a quality pair of metal sights on your Glock ASAP.  The stock plastic ones really are crappy sights and not good for much on a hard use pistol like a Glock.  But to answer you question, just get a punch and hammer and drift it back to center.

Glocks are probably the most numerous handgun issued at police departments throughout the country since they were introduced in our country in 1986.  Many, if not most of those departments still use the stock sights with no problems.  Several thousand more people have done the same on their personal guns.  The whole aftermarket sight thing hasn't been prominent on Glocks until about a good 10 years or so ago, and that is only because of all the mall ninjas and the advent of the internet.

ANY gun that is dropped on its sights can have a sight shift or pop off.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:50:11 AM EDT
[#8]
drop it on the other side
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This.....
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The next time you to the range with your Glock.  Place your target at 10 yards.  Sight in with your front sight completely to the left within your rear sight and shoot.  Then sight in completely to the right within your rear sight and shoot.  After you have done that, come back and tell us that 1/16 of an inch movement of the rear sight matters.

Sure, then put it out at 25 yds and do the same.

The OP can do what he wants, but accuracy does matter to some of us.  If H53EXPERT doesn't care about accuracy with his pistols, oh well.........................................but leaving a rear sight maladjusted doesn't seem like that great a piece of advice.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The OP can do what he wants, but accuracy does matter to some of us.  If H53EXPERT doesn't care about accuracy with his pistols, oh well.........................................but leaving a rear sight maladjusted doesn't seem like that great a piece of advice.

A maladjusted sight doesn't even affect accuracy.  Having a maladjusted sight doesn't just all of a sudden make your bullets spray all over the place.  They are still going to hit the same spot if the shooter is doing his part.  1/16 of an inch would probably make about a two or three inch difference to either side at 25 yards, if the person is even capable of shooting accurately at that distance.  And we don't even know if his sight is truly out of adjustment in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.....

Well, I took it out and dropped it on the driveway. It was hard to get it to land right but on about the 100th time the sight popped right back where it was. I'm lucky the neighbors didn't call the cops but the gun has some nice tacticool wear on it now.....

Just kidding. I tapped it back into place with a punch.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A maladjusted sight doesn't even affect accuracy.  Having a maladjusted sight doesn't just all of a sudden make your bullets spray all over the place.  They are still going to hit the same spot if the shooter is doing his part.  1/16 of an inch would probably make about a two or three inch difference to either side at 25 yards, if the person is even capable of shooting accurately at that distance.  And we don't even know if his sight is truly out of adjustment in the first place.

You're getting your terms mixed up here.  You're talking about the INHERENT ACCURACY of the pistol.

Generally, accuracy is "hitting the mark", or what you're aiming at.  

Precision is getting hits in the same, consistent place, AKA tight groups.  

When we say we care about the accuracy of our firearms in this case, we're not talking about their PRECISION, or INHERENT ACCURACY.  We're talking about accuracy, as in hitting what we're aiming at.

Yes, we don't actually know yet if the OP's sight is truly off or not, he hasn't been back in.

You can keep arguing this all you want.  I don't know of any true professionals who would be satisfied with having a sight knocked out of alignment, even a little bit, and be content to just "leave it".  

So I guess if his sight is truly off, he can make the decision to just "leave it" or get it aligned correctly.  Seems odd though, that you keep pushing this point of it not mattering that it might be off a bit.  The sights are there for a reason.

Keep going though, I can't possibly add anymore logic to the discussion.  Besides, the OPs thread was about how to get the rear sight adjusted back properly, not about whether it "matters" or not, so it wouldn't be in good form for me to continue to try to hash this out with you.

You can have the last word, if you wish.

Would be kinda funny, though, if after all this the OP realized his sight was in fact NOT out of alignment, wouldn't it.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Ah, the OP posted while I was typing.

Good deal, give us a range report!  I hope it's dead-on for ya.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're getting your terms mixed up here.  You're talking about the INHERENT ACCURACY of the pistol.

Generally, accuracy is "hitting the mark", or what you're aiming at.  

Precision is getting hits in the same, consistent place, AKA tight groups.  

When we say we care about the accuracy of our firearms in this case, we're not talking about their PRECISION, or INHERENT ACCURACY.  We're talking about accuracy, as in hitting what we're aiming at.

Yes, we don't actually know yet if the OP's sight is truly off or not, he hasn't been back in.

You can keep arguing this all you want.  I don't know of any true professionals who would be satisfied with having a sight knocked out of alignment, even a little bit, and be content to just "leave it".  

So I guess if his sight is truly off, he can make the decision to just "leave it" or get it aligned correctly.  Seems odd though, that you keep pushing this point of it not mattering that it might be off a bit.  The sights are there for a reason.

Keep going though, I can't possibly add anymore logic to the discussion.  Besides, the OPs thread was about how to get the rear sight adjusted back properly, not about whether it "matters" or not, so it wouldn't be in good form for me to continue to try to hash this out with you.

You can have the last word, if you wish.

Would be kinda funny, though, if after all this the OP realized his sight was in fact NOT out of alignment, wouldn't it.

That is correct.  You haven't and can't add any more logic because we don't even know if his sight was truly off in the first place.  Read his initial post.  He stated it "looks" off to him.  

There is a very real possibility that it was simply where he finally noticed it, in the first place.  And that is where he needed to leave it to begin with.  He wouldn't know this until he shot it again.  Like I said, leave it where it is(was) and it would probably make little to no difference.  To the average shooter, at the average range, in the average situation, IT WOULDN'T MATTER ONE BIT.  You don't even need sights at the distances a carry gun would be used at anyway.

Let me have the final word, and go away.  There is no sense in arguing with simple logic.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Read his last post.  He tapped it back.  Now he'll be hitting the range soon, most likely, to confirm.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:10:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I did read it.  He tapped it back so it didn't "look" off anymore.  Just because it wasn't centered when he noticed it, doesn't mean it needed to be centered.  Think about it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:15:09 PM EDT
[#18]
 Okay......................I guess we'll find out from the range report, eh?

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes.  The range report that probably would have been exactly the same had he left the sight where it was.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#20]
 C'mon already...................................................  Now you're just makin' me laugh..................good grief.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I thought you claimed you were going away.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I thought you claimed you were going away.

I'm going away from your agrument about sights..............................................you want me to go away completely?  No.  Sorry to disappoint ya.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#23]
bye.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 6:27:40 AM EDT
[#24]
here is what i got form this post...

1 the gun's sight may or may not have been centered to begin with.
2 he has drifted it back to center.
3 to not utilise any "tool" to its utmost capability is unwise.

i would not hold a hammer up close to the head just because it "still worked that way",
   i would hold it at the bottom to gain the most leverage.

if it has sights they should be aligned.

audi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top