Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2009 6:36:16 PM EDT
First let me start by saying I always thought Glocks were sort of ugly. The first time I held one at a gun shop it felt like I was holding a piece of a 2x4. I never liked them.

Recently I started looking for a new 9mm and Glocks weren't even on my radar. I was talking about gun shopping to a business friend (who I've never gone shooting with) and he loaned me his Glock 19. I figured, what the heck, I'll try most things once, I'd see how it shoots. Turns out I shot smaller groups with the Glock than I did with my Browning Hi-Power. I was shocked how well it worked for me.

My regular gun shop closed down so I started calling around trying to find someone with a G-19 in stock. One place said he would be getting them in in a couple of days so I gave him my credit card number. That was the first week of January. I kept calling and kept getting the runaround. I got fed up and sent them a certified letter asking for a refund. This past Tuesday I had to go to Pennsylvania on business. I finished up a little early and was driving towards home and low and behold I see a sign "American Sport Shooting". I had to stop in and check it out. It's a very nice gun shop with good people. I asked if they had a Glock 19 and they had several. Thanks to modern cell phone technology, I was able to call up the number of an FFL I used a few months ago and the deal was done. $515.50 with (2) 15rd mags and Austrian proof marks.

I can't wait to break this baby in tomorrow!

Hopefully the original dealer will refund my money.
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats.

I have 2 Glocks, I trust them 100% my 36 is my daily carry.
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Be prepared.  You have just been infected.  It is irrelevant if the other dealer will refund your money, because now that you have a 19, you'll "need" and 17, and then of course a 26.

I'll save you some time:

- Vanek trigger (or the .25/quarter trigger job at least)
- Dawson, Sevigny Warren or Heinie sights
- Hogue grip (or, 'yes, you can file down the finger grooves' - large numbers of Glockers do one of these)

Lone Wolf Designs, Glockwork, Glockmeister, GlockWorld...there's a starter on the bits you will want to get.

The complete strip and reassemble that you are dying to do can be seen on Youtube - there are a couple of outstanding videos, you will do it tonight if you haven't already, and you will have officially succumbed to full-fledged Glock disease.

Glock Talk will be your next forum.

Cheers - enjoy - I was an anti Glock, too, until I decided that I'd rather spend $500 on something I can customize easily and cheaply and reliably instead of $2000 on something finicky that I HAVE to dump money into.
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Good choice.  Great pistol, the G19.  I carry a G17 24/7.  You will grow to LOVE the thing, as it'll be stone cold reliable, if it's anything like my Glocks.  It is mechanical perfection.

And..................as others have pointed out.............you WILL in fact continue to drink the Kool-Aid, time and time again................
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 11:31:54 PM EDT
[#4]
welcome to the dark side
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 12:38:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Congrats! I myself got ahold of a G19 with Austrian markings the other day! My cousin let me shoot his G19 a couple of months ago, and after that I just had to have one! The post-Obama fiasco made it pretty hard to get a G19 at a decent price, but I held out, and one of my favorite dealers finally got a shipment in and I went and claimed my new shooter! I'll be taking it to the range Sunday afternoon. Hoooaaah!
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 4:46:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 8:01:42 AM EDT
[#7]
It never fail to amaze me how many people base their defensive pistol purchase on how the gun feels in their hand when they're fondling them in a gun store.  

It also never fails to amaze me how many people will still buy the gun that feels best in their hand, even after finding out the gun they run the best is the Glock.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It never fail to amaze me how many people base their defensive pistol purchase on how the gun feels in their hand when they're fondling them in a gun store.  

It also never fails to amaze me how many people will still buy the gun that feels best in their hand, even after finding out the gun they run the best is the Glock.

Or the simple fact that its more aesthetically pleasing than a glock.

IMO –– the efficient reliability/shootability of glocks is pretty damn beautiful.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Congratulations...........Now post some pics or it didn't happen.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I just purchased the new grip G 22, and was also a non-Glock believer until I shot it. I like it, got the Trijikon sights installed the day I picked it up and could not be happier today.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Congratulations...........Now post some pics or it didn't happen.

No range today, too many chores.

I was going to try out some of these Black Talons. My FFL showed me some ads on Gunbroker where they're selling for $50.00 a box! I think I'll sell  the Black Talons to fund some more reasonably priced ammo.

Link Posted: 3/8/2009 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
First let me start by saying I always thought Glocks were sort of ugly.

Comment #1 - Maybe they are. So what? Are you buying it to carry/shoot or to stare at and show off to your friends?

Quoted:

Comment #2 - Has your account already been charged? If so, a written letter to your cc company explaning you wish to dispute the charges as you have not received any merchandise from the vendor should take care of it.

Quoted:
Great pistol, the G19.  I carry a G17 24/7.  You will grow to LOVE the thing, as it'll be stone cold reliable, if it's anything like my Glocks.  It is mechanical perfection.

Comment #3 - 24/7? Really? In bed? In the shower? Do you ever visit any of the places your state law does not allow CCW? I know, I know, it's just an expression. Anyway, as for mecahnical perfection, regardless how much "Kool-Aid"... Whamo should still learn how to perform remedial action and do basic maintenance. If he uses it enough eventually he will need those skills despite it being a very reliable pistol.

Quoted:
Glock Talk will be your next forum.

Comment #4 -There is a smidge of useable info over there if you don't mind sorting through the sewage to find it. Don't stay too long. Friends don't let friends take GT too seriously.

Link Posted: 3/8/2009 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My other 9mm is a Belgian Browning Hi-Power. It's without a doubt much prettier than a Glock

With Pachmayr Grips my Hi-Power feels really nice in the hand.

Only very recently did I find a range in the People's Republic that rents guns. I only get to try out friends guns or the occasional friendly stranger's gun at the range. I just never had the chance to shoot a Glock before.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Comment #2 - Has your account already been charged? If so, a written letter to your cc company explaning you wish to dispute the charges as you have not received any merchandise from the vendor should take care of it.

Actually I let too much time pass. American Express gives you 5 or 6 weeks to protest a charge (I forget which I only know that I was too late). If I don't see the credit tomorrow, I'll take a ride and ask them for a refund face to face.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#14]
You will love it. Most do.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
First let me start by saying I always thought Glocks were sort of ugly.

Comment #1 - Maybe they are. So what? Are you buying it to carry/shoot or to stare at and show off to your friends?

Quoted:

Quoted:
Great pistol, the G19.  I carry a G17 24/7.  You will grow to LOVE the thing, as it'll be stone cold reliable, if it's anything like my Glocks.  It is mechanical perfection.

Comment #3 - 24/7? Really? In bed? In the shower? Do you ever visit any of the places your state law does not allow CCW? I know, I know, it's just an expression. Anyway, as for mecahnical perfection, regardless how much "Kool-Aid"... Whamo should still learn how to perform remedial action and do basic maintenance. If he uses it enough eventually he will need those skills despite it being a very reliable pistol.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top