Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 10:34:33 AM EDT
I'd like to hear from people who have experience carrying the full-sized Glocks.  How feasible was it compared to the mid sized and compacts?  I had a G19 on order at the shop, but it was taking so long I decided to go for a G17 instead.  It's going to be for all-around use, including carry.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I am just barely 5'7, 166lbs athletic and I carry fullsize Glock 17, Smith and Wesson M&P9 and a full size 1911 without any problems. Just dress accordingly. I carry exclusively IWB.

Steve
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#2]
get a good IWB holster and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I carry a Glock 35 when it's cool enough to wear a jacket (about 4 days a year here in Phoenix). Rest of the year I carry my G27, wearing T-shirt and shorts. Carry both of them on an OTB holster.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am just barely 5'7, 166lbs athletic and I carry fullsize Glock 17, Smith and Wesson M&P9 and a full size 1911 without any problems. Just dress accordingly. I carry exclusively IWB.

Steve

What type of clothes you wear man? What kind of holster?

I'm 5'7 150lbs, and planning on buying a G19 soon for CCW, I was worried I'd have trouble concealing it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I am Tall and fairly slender, 6'3". I can conceal a glock 22 23 or a 27 fairly easly, IWB is the way.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I wear mostly button down shirts, size medium, or I wear t shirts with shorts. IWB holsters are wear its at.

Steve
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:45:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Contrary to popular belief, you don't need an IWB holster to carry a full-size Glock.  I've had great luck carrying a Glock 17 and a Glock 21 with a Galco Quick Slide under a t-shirt.  I've also used kydex holsters from Talon Tactical with great success.  The key is how close to the body the holster rides and the cant that it has.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry a glock 17 in a galco summer summer comfort IWB and a t shirt covers it well.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Good holster and good belt is 90% of the equation.

Just wear a shirt that's loose and covers the firearms.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:58:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm 6'0 265 and i carry a G-21 or 17 every day, loose shirt hides with no problem.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry a G22 IWB in no jacket weather and Galco Concealable under a jacket.  5'8" 205lb athletic build.  I have a G23 but I am comfortable with carrying the G22 every day.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#12]
for a IWB, do you wear the same size pants/shorts or buy a size bigger? what width belt are you using?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:35:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Heavyweight t-shirts cut one size bigger than normal, a good quality belt, and a quality holster that rides close and tight, and you'll be fine.  I carry a G22 all the time like that.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:48:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Heavyweight t-shirts cut one size bigger than normal, a good quality belt, and a quality holster that rides close and tight, and you'll be fine.  I carry a G22 all the time like that.

WOOT-WOOT
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:32:39 AM EDT
[#15]
For my waist size, I decided that I needed to lose some of my gut so I started working out more. Suddenly my size 33 and 32 pants fit my IWB holsters just fine, I'm about a 31 now but can fit into a 30 without being uncomfortable. For buying new pants, I'd say buy a size or two larger.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the input.  I expect the right clothing will be a sure factor along with belt and holster.  In the past I carried a USP45 IWB but the holster and belt were low quality.  It just barely worked for me -- requiring the use of a baggy sweatshirt.  More recently I bought a double-layer leather w/ kydex reinforced belt from Comp-tac and one of their M-Tac holsters for my previous carry gun.  That combo is absolutely excellent!  Adjustable cant, and holds the gun tight against you.  I can't stress enough how big of a difference the belt made between it and my old floppy, worn out department store belt.

The other night I ordered a replacement kydex shell for the M-tac to fit the G17, as well as picked up a couple shirts on the baggy side.  Based on what others have said, it sounds like I should be good to go.  Now if the background check delay would just hurry up and clear...

Can't wait for that new Glock!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I have carried a 26, 23, and 17 all IWB. I can't tell much difference in the 23 & 26. As for the full size, it tends to be a bit more uncomfortable riding in a vehicle, but on the positive side, it doesn't try to flip over your belt like the shorter one can, and tends to ride pretty good while up walking around. I think you'll be fine.
I'm 6' @ 215 lbs FWIW.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm 6'04" and 306lbs and I carry a G22 w/o a problem

I use a paddle holster that I'd consider to be a mid ride.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#19]
150 5'11 17 all day long and you would never have a clue its there
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:59:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Carry a G22 with 2 reloads in a Braveheart holster.  comfortably all day long with little effort to hide it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:13:49 AM EDT
[#21]
I am 6'2", 225 lbs. and I've carried a Glock 17 OWB (in a Galco CombatMaster) as my "off duty" piece through all seasons across many years.

The only 'trick' is a light (especially in the summer, not so much in the winter) loosely fitting "cover garment". After doing so for all these years and becoming comfortable with it, I believe that I could get away with a Desert Eagle if I wanted to. YMMV.

TK
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:21:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I have carried a glock 22 and 21 before. If I could go back and do it all over again I would just buy .45 handguns.  I have bought and sold a lot of smaller caliber handguns over the years now i've finaly settled on glock and XD .45's.

There are too meny shooting incidents where even the .45 fails to stop someone.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:52:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Good holster and good belt is 90% of the equation.

Just wear a shirt that's loose and covers the firearms.  

Amazing how that works....even with a Glock 21.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:14:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I am 6'2", 225 lbs. and I've carried a Glock 17 OWB (in a Galco CombatMaster) as my "off duty" piece through all seasons across many years.

The only 'trick' is a light (especially in the summer, not so much in the winter) loosely fitting "cover garment". After doing so for all these years and becoming comfortable with it, I believe that I could get away with a Desert Eagle if I wanted to. YMMV.

TK

Exactly!!! I am the same size as you are, and carry my G21SF in a Comp-Tac paddle holster year round. In the summer months I wear a 2Xl short sleeved shirt untucked (and since the abdominal fat concealment fashion style is "in" these days it doesn't appear suspicious .. yuk yuk yuk). I'm pleasantly surprised how accustomed one can become with a full-size carry.

Glock on.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm 5' 6" 415 lbs & I carry a glock 34 without a holster. I just jam it into one of my rolls.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
...and since the abdominal fat concealment fashion style is "in" these days it doesn't appear suspicious ....

Oh, that's just great! Give away all of our 'secrets'!

On the serious side though, it is amazing how easily even a full size service weapon can be concealed once you 'adapt' to it.

TK
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...and since the abdominal fat concealment fashion style is "in" these days it doesn't appear suspicious ....

On the serious side though, it is amazing how easily even a full size service weapon can be concealed once you 'adapt' to it.

TK

That is the trick though, isnt it? You dont really just start to do concealled carry, you adapt your life style to it. It typically starts when you go through the I refuse to be a victim stage... then you realise what you have to change to do concealled carry. Thats how it was for me and ALL of my friends that do carry.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TK

That is the trick though, isnt it? You dont really just start to do concealled carry, you adapt your life style to it. It typically starts when you go through the I refuse to be a victim stage... then you realise what you have to change to do concealled carry. Thats how it was for me and ALL of my friends that do carry.

Getnlwr,

Yep, you've got your head screwed on straight. As a retired cop, I am glad that there are folks out there who've developed the right mindset towards the practice of CCW. It's really worth the slight effort that it requires.

As I always say: With a little adaptation there is no obstacle that can defeat us.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top