Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2005 2:10:48 PM EDT
I just installed two sets of AmeriGlo 3 dot sights.  They aren't the night sights, but I needed two sets right now to replace the flimsy plastic units.  So, here are my thoughts. Pardon my crappy pictures.

I like the sight picture.  On both the medium and compact frame.

They seem to have a little more profile than I would like, we'll see how they hold up to use.  They have plenty of clearance in my regular holsters though.

The front sight seems like the weak part.  The longer profile will make it susceptible to getting bumped out of alignment.  The front attachment nut wasn't quite right on one set and I had to use a pair of pliers to tighten it down with their provided nut driver.  The rear sight went in and tightened down no problem. Overall, installation was easy.

I put a drop of super glue (loctite black max actually) on the nut inside just to make sure its locked into position.

Range report:

Made it to the range last weekend.  I found the 3-dot sights to be a little faster on target and better for hitting the longer distance shots than the factory plastic dudes.

I shot steel plates from 20 feet out to about 75 feet and had to remember not to push the trigger over to the left.  Been shooting revolvers all summer......
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:40:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the Amerigo Smooth Operator night sights, which uses the Smooth Slope rear sight and the Operator front sight. They all have Trijicon Tritium vials.

The sight picture, from my experience, is different from that of a rifles'. Instead of putting the tip of the front post at the center of the POA, you put the "DOT" of the front post in the center of the POA. Basically if you were aiming at a bullseye, put the front "DOT" right over the bullseye at 25 yd. If you try to line up the tip of the front post in the center of the bullseye, you will shoot low.

This is with a Glock 17 (9mm Luger) at 25 yd.

I used drops of Blue Threadlocker on all the screws/nuts. So far after about 500 rd nothing has moved around. I really like these sights but the front post seems to take a beating (just like the stock plastic sights).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top