Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 9:58:28 AM EDT
Some dude where I work told me that Glock was going to start putting a manual saftey on their pistols.  I raised a skeptical eyebrow cause I'm on gun websites all the time and have heard nothing about it.  I asked awhile back if any custom outfits could modify a Glock with a manual safety and some place was pointed out, but I can't remember where it was.  I told him that was probably what he was talking about, but he insisted that Glock was going to make the change.  So is this dude full of it or not?  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Many of the newer Glocks have an internal lock in the grip cavity that is locked with a small proprietary key.  It is much like S&W's internal lock they have begun installing in their newer revolvers.

I've seen a couple of the Glocks with locks here in TX, but mostly I've seen Glocks on the shelf "the way God intended them to be."
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Some dude where I work told me that Glock was going to start putting a manual saftey on their pistols.  I raised a skeptical eyebrow cause I'm on gun websites all the time and have heard nothing about it.

I've seen Glocks with a manual safety.  They were custom rigs though.  It was a frame mounted safety.  There was once a small company I saw advertising at a funshow who could do the mods.  I don't know what they do internally to make it work, but I remember seeing that they had put a small cut in the frame for it to work.  I can't remember the name of the company, but it was a small outfit, and they appeard to do nice work.  I played with one of their demo models, and it was nice, but I'd rather just have a stock Glock when I purchase mine (hopefully very soon).
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:08:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Glock did make a run of Glocks with manual safeties for the Tasmanian Police years ago, prior to the company in the US that offers a retro fit.

I have contact with Glock nad Glocks Reps pretty regularly . . . as late as Thursday of last week in fact . . . and have heard zero about this

I'd call Bull Shit
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Cominolli makes an external safety very similar to the original factory G17S(pictured below) safety. I have not heard that GLOCK is going to start producing it again, but you never know.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I doubt it, Gaston GLOCK doesn't seem to change many things on his design unless it improves performance.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Why?  If I wanted a manual safety, I would have bought something other than a Glock.  I wanted the simplicity of a revolver and the capacity of a semi, and the Glock fit that.  And besides, Glocks Rule!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are seriously confident in your home-gunsmithing ability, and you don't mind taking a huge chance with your gun, Brownell's sells a trigger housing which includes a manual safety. The only problem is that it requires "surgery" to install, and all it would take is a small slip with the ol' Dremel...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#8]
If you want a manual safety, dont buy a Glock. There are plenty of outfits that will sell you one.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:55:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I doubt it, Gaston GLOCK doesn't seem to change many things on his design unless it improves performance.

I heard this is already in the works. The U.S. military is now looking for a new pistol. I'm told it calls for a manual safety and Glock has a design on the table. Money talks in this day and age.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Va_Dinger is correct.  A sale of 700,000 .45 Glocks to the U.S. Gov't is a pretty good argument for putting a safety on a Glock.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#12]
tag for more info.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:00:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I hope I can get a 21 before they do that. The reason that big blocky Glocky thing is so wonderful is it is simple. My boys and my wife can pick it up and use it no problem and so can I. Durable, simple, reliable, and affordable.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I hope I can get a 21 before they do that. The reason that big blocky Glocky thing is so wonderful is it is simple. My boys and my wife can pick it up and use it no problem and so can I. Durable, simple, reliable, and affordable.

The reason people (*not only the anti-gunners) don't want us to have our Glocks
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:36:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Va_Dinger is correct.  A sale of 700,000 .45 Glocks to the U.S. Gov't is a pretty good argument for putting a safety on a Glock.  

Where did you hear that they were looking at the G21?

I haven't heard the rumor about Glock adding a manual safety so I can't comment BUT I can't see the Army being interested in the G21 just because of the shear size of the thing.

On top of that I the gun has to be made here in the US and right now only the G17/22/31 frames are made here (at least in some capacity).

However, if all this would turn out to be true I can almost hear the hearts of the Glock-haters hitting the floor
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't pay for those third party modifications... the US .gov (libs) will make it mandatory for them to have a manual safety built into them at some point. Glock will say "go fvck your mother", they'll stop selling in the US, and then all the Glocks with the 3rd party safties will be worth less on the resale market than the new, unmolested "collectors item" Glock.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I took a class recently from somebody closely involved in the new military pistol contract. He did mention that Glock was working on a new pistol for their entry into the trials. He clearly stated it was going to have a manual safety. He said nothing about it being a G21.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I thought Glock had made a model with a manual safety for a large agency test.  IIRC, it looked just like the G18 selector.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I thought Glock had made a model with a manual safety for a large agency test.  IIRC, it looked just like the G18 selector.

Was it the Airsoft model?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#21]
This "I heard Glock has an external safety coming" crap...

is played out bullshit!

Instead of whining about the lack of an external safety, get acquainted with safe handling procedures!

Revolvers have been around for well over 100 years and I have NEVER heard ANYONE bitch about the lack of an external safety on a revolver!

If you're not comfortable with the design, PICK SOMETHING ELSE!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:12:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
This "I heard Glock has an external safety coming" crap...

is played out bullshit!

Instead of whining about the lack of an external safety, get acquainted with safe handling procedures!

Revolvers have been around for well over 100 years and I have NEVER heard ANYONE bitch about the lack of an external safety on a revolver!

If you're not comfortable with the design, PICK SOMETHING ELSE!

IMHO, You'll have to mod the Glock with the "New York" 8lb trigger to put on the same level playing field as a pistol but I hear what you are saying
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

IMHO, You'll have to mod the Glock with the "New York" 8lb trigger to put on the same level playing field as a pistol but I hear what you are saying

My Glocks are all set up with the 5lb connector and the NY-1 trigger spring...rock on!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My Glocks are all set up with the 5lb connector and the NY-1 trigger spring...rock on!

I should have known it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top