Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2021 9:28:04 AM EDT
I purchased a TOFEIC grip plug for my gen 5 G19, but the fit is poor.

Who makes a good fitting grip plug? Looking for a flush unit, no extensions.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I purchased a TOFEIC grip plug for my gen 5 G19, but the fit is poor.

Who makes a good fitting grip plug? Looking for a flush unit, no extensions.
View Quote

Get a Pearce grip plug. And be done with it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Get a Pearce grip plug. And be done with it.
View Quote

^ true. Pearce ones fit my 17.5 and 19X perfectly and snug.  Cheap too.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Why even do a grip plug? It removes the space needed for stripping out malfunctioning mags.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I put Pearce's in my Gen3's and they fit great. I got a Pearce for my Gen5 and the fit sucked.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe the Tango Down gen 4 vickers tool/plug works with gen 5's.

I like it on my gen 3 guns because it acts as a mag guide which is pretty nice.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why even do a grip plug? It removes the space needed for stripping out malfunctioning mags.
View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 9:11:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do more reloads than stripping out malfunctioning mags. I rather have the plug to help guide a mag.

If I have a mag that won’t strip out by what I can grab a hold of on the base plate. I’ll just push it from the top.
(Which was actually somewhat common with worn out  Army M9’s).

OP I’ve use Glockmiester plugs with success. I’ve also gotten a good one and a bad one (Yiyi brand) off of Amazon.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
The problem is not just getting a stuck or malfunctioning mag out using using alternative methods or just clearing the malfunction anyway you can.  If you have received training from reputable places such as Thunder Ranch or Gunsite, you will perform malfunction drills and receive instruction on clearing theses malfunctions, that with repetition will form muscle memory to take over and you allow to clear a malfunction in a stressful situation such as a gun fight when rounds are headed your way.  None of these drills that I am aware of involve poking a mag out through the ejection port.  

Now for a gun that you only shoot at the range and not used for home defense or EDC, perhaps it doesn't matter.  But you should shoot at the range and train as you are taught to reinforce muscle memory, otherwise what it the point.  Which is why I always ask what is the point of these plugs.  If you say it is to guide a mag in for a reload I would argue that these plugs just reduce the size of the funnel that you have at the bottom of the mag well.  Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Notice how you don't see cut outs to "Strip" out a 1911 or M9 or Sig 226 mag....

I've shot a lot of pistols in my day, never had one that I could'nt get the magazine out of.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Notice how you don't see cut outs to "Strip" out a 1911 or M9 or Sig 226 mag....

I've shot a lot of pistols in my day, never had one that I could'nt get the magazine out of.
View Quote

That is because they all have some means of stripping a mag.  The Glocks just happens to be the opening in the back that you are wanting to plug.  It doesn't matter to me, I'm just offering an alternative point of view based on the training that I have received and something to think about.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The problem is not just getting a stuck or malfunctioning mag out using using alternative methods or just clearing the malfunction anyway you can.  If you have received training from reputable places such as Thunder Ranch or Gunsite, you will perform malfunction drills and receive instruction on clearing theses malfunctions, that with repetition will form muscle memory to take over and you allow to clear a malfunction in a stressful situation such as a gun fight when rounds are headed your way.  None of these drills that I am aware of involve poking a mag out through the ejection port.  

Now for a gun that you only shoot at the range and not used for home defense or EDC, perhaps it doesn't matter.  But you should shoot at the range and train as you are taught to reinforce muscle memory, otherwise what it the point.  Which is why I always ask what is the point of these plugs.  If you say it is to guide a mag in for a reload I would argue that these plugs just reduce the size of the funnel that you have at the bottom of the mag well.  Just my two cents.
View Quote

Not being able to think in combat is highly overstated. I’ve been there and I was able to problem solve outside of what I was taught on the range as muscle memory. Sometimes shit just doesn’t go your way and you have to improvise. Immediate action would be pulling on the bottom of the mag. Remedial action would be pushing it from the top.

I do agree the best method is stripping from the bottom and you should train to do it but sometimes that doesn’t always work.

There is plenty of room on the bottom of the mag to pull on. More so then what’s on the 1911 in the pic above.
Attachment Attached File

Edit. I’ve seen M9’s not been able to get mags out from the bottom. No matter how hard we pulled on it. We had to get it out by pushing on it from the ejection port. Sand mixed with CLP just made to much friction between the mag well and mag. After the first time I encountered that. I kept it in the bag of tricks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#12]
@Harv24

I always had good luck with Glockmeister grip plugs, they fit snug and are well made...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top