Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/21/2021 4:22:06 PM EDT
Just curious about your guy's opinions as to whether the Gen 5 Glocks are really more long-term durable in terms of the round count than the previous generations?

Not looking to start an argument, although it might.

I personally have examples of Generations 3 - 5 but I have put the most rounds through the Gen 4s.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:03:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The trigger spring is a significantly more durable design in gen 5.

No little metal hooks to snap.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I believe that. A friend attended the FBI briefing in it where that was quantified.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just curious about your guy's opinions as to whether the Gen 5 Glocks are really more long-term durable in terms of the round count than the previous generations?

Not looking to start an argument, although it might.

I personally have examples of Generations 3 - 5 but I have put the most rounds through the Gen 4s.

View Quote

Nothing I can see that would have a significant impact. Some part redesigns look improved, some not so much, but hard to say they will increase durability.

Do not have any gen4s, but my gen3s are so reliable it is near impossible bar to be better.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:21:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Gen 5's seem to show the most wear on wear surfaces. Many people complained about it when they first came out. I have no idea what if anything this has to do with reliability or longevity.

My Gen 3 and 4 guns seem impervious the typical wear marks while the Gen 5 looks heavily used after only a few hundred rounds. Once again this is only superficial surface wear.

Also, the Gen 5's ambi cutout on the slide, under the ejection port, is in the exact location where I ever saw a Glock slide crack. I think the ambi slot further weakens the slide in this critical area.

I have personally broken a few trigger return springs on Gen 2 and 3 guns. Also a few slide release lever springs too.

I am the very very rare Glock lover who does not like the Gen 5.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gen 5's seem to show the most wear on wear surfaces. Many people complained about it when they first came out. I have no idea what if anything this has to do with reliability or longevity.

My Gen 3 and 4 guns seem impervious the typical wear marks while the Gen 5 looks heavily used after only a few hundred rounds. Once again this is only superficial surface wear.

Also, the Gen 5's ambi cutout on the slide, under the ejection port, is in the exact location where I ever saw a Glock slide crack. I think the ambi slot further weakens the slide in this critical area.

I have personally broken a few trigger return springs on Gen 2 and 3 guns. Also a few slide release lever springs too.

I am the very very rare Glock lover who does not like the Gen 5.
View Quote

Are you talking about holster wear or internal wear?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Holster
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#7]
The Gen5 is supposed to have a MRBF of 11,000
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:19:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Gen2 and especially Gen3 old stock are still around, still in heavy use. They are a known quantity, virtually indestructible and have a better finish. Replace wear items but otherwise they just don't break.

The new Gen are neat and all but I'm not convinced they are better. Given what Battlefield Vegas posted with the cracked slides I'll pass.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:43:28 PM EDT
[#9]
A new gen 5 with the old gen 3 finish would be perfect.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:51:54 PM EDT
[#10]
The trigger, slide stop lever, and slide lock springs should prove to be an improvement.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:25:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Love my Gen5's, but the biggest step backwards was the crappy finish.

Looks absolutely fantastic in the case. 100 presentations from kydex and it's down to bare steel.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:24:44 PM EDT
[#12]
The breechface cut is the main reason I've switched to Gen 5s.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:33:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Looks absolutely fantastic in the case. 100 presentations from kydex and it's down to bare steel.
View Quote

Gen4 had the worst finish
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Is new and improved gen 5 more durable than what has already set
industry standards? IDK, but I doubt 'better than' what
the standard already is.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:59:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Gen4 had the worst finish
View Quote
The Gen 5's I've owned had a far worse finish than the Gen 4's I still own. Not only is it not durable, but it's slick as hell.

Gen 4 17 at ~8000 rounds. This Gen 4 17 and another just like it each have 10000 rounds on them now and they still look like this.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Gen 5 after a few hundred rounds.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:00:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I’ve owned/own Gen 3, 4, and 5. The Gen 5 Glocks are the closet they’ve gotten to Perfection. I don’t care about finish. That has absolutely nothing to do with reliability.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:56:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes.

Trigger springs and slide lock springs are the two most common broken parts I see in glocks.  

Both of those have been redesigned for gen 5.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Are you talking about holster wear or internal wear?
View Quote

I was referring to internal wear (as shown by Bradd in the photos).

Holster wear can be subjective and depends on the holster. By FAR, the most durable finish for holster wear is the older Gen 3 "frying pan" finish which seems totally impervious to wear.

Personally, I think a Glock with heavy holster wear has a certain charm while heavy internal wear marks not so much.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

That has not been the case with the NDLC finish on my 19.5 MOS. I've only had it three months but I've drawn it from my kydex carry holster over 2,000 times and it still looks brand new except for the slide stop. Granted, nothing will ever top the Gen 3 frying pan finish, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#20]
The new trigger spring might not break but the tiny plastic guide rod thing in it will probably not be too good in the long run.

The slide stop notch under the ejection port is stupid. Remove material and add a stress riser to the weakest part of the slide?  Why the hell not??
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The new trigger spring might not break but the tiny plastic guide rod thing in it will probably not be too good in the long run.

The slide stop notch under the ejection port is stupid. Remove material and add a stress riser to the weakest part of the slide?  Why the hell not??
View Quote

It has been strongly suggested, that as long as you don't take the trigger spring assembly out, it will be fine.
I wouldn't take out the assembly unless the spring was broken, and that seems, not impossible, but highly unlikely.

I don't like the new ambi, and especially, the ambi extended slide stop lever they put on my 34.5, nor the minus connecter it came with.
I have dot connectors and normal ambi slide stop levers coming in.

We already cut the right side notch off the extended slide stop (that notch doesn't even touch the slide: all the contact is on the normal side), and it functions fine, but I want as normal a slide stop as possible, so I'll cut the notch off the normal ambi slide stop when it comes in.

FWIW, I'm lefty, and a big fan of ambi controls on the EBR, but not a pistol.

Jay
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Frying pan finish for the win....
Someone correct me but they can't use that finish in the states because of EPA regulations I was hearing through the grape vine.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Someone correct me but they can't use that finish in the states because of EPA regulations I was hearing through the grape vine.
View Quote
It wasn't that the finish was so durable. It was just a black finish over tenifer and tenifer had nothing to do with whether or not wear would show as it was a metal treatment and not a finish. It was the coarser texture of the surface of the metal that made wear and scratches harder to see. It was still there. Newer guns have a smoother texture so wear and scratches are more visible. I've not found my Gen 4's to be as fragile as some claim, though.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It wasn't that the finish was so durable. It was just a black finish over tenifer and tenifer had nothing to do with whether or not wear would show as it was a metal treatment and not a finish. It was the coarser texture of the surface of the metal that made wear and scratches harder to see. It was still there. Newer guns have a smoother texture so wear and scratches are more visible. I've not found my Gen 4's to be as fragile as some claim, though.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is not correct. The FPF was a different coating that was more durable than anything else they've used. The metal surface did have a different texture but the FPF was far more durable and a much deeper black color. A few years ago I posted some high res photos of 5 different Glock slides, all with different finishes going back from 1991 all the way up to a new 2015 gun. All five finishes were different and showed wear differently but the FPF is damn near impervious to wear.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That is not correct. The FPF was a different coating that was more durable than anything else they've used. The metal surface did have a different texture but the FPF was far more durable and a much deeper black color. A few years ago I posted some high res photos of 5 different Glock slides, all with different finishes going back from 1991 all the way up to a new 2015 gun. All five finishes were different and showed wear differently but the FPF is damn near impervious to wear.
View Quote
Source of your information?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The trigger spring is a significantly more durable design in gen 5.

No little metal hooks to snap.  

View Quote
Slide stop spring, too
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:59:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Really?

Show me a conclusive test where Gen 2, 3, 4 were tested against Gen 5.

You could have happy dreams of owning the amount of ammo it would take to demonstrate a statistical analysis vs marketing hype.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Really?

Show me a conclusive test where Gen 2, 3, 4 were tested against Gen 5.

You could have happy dreams of owning the amount of ammo it would take to demonstrate a statistical analysis vs marketing hype.

View Quote

Or just work somewhere where you’ve seen parts break and be able to speak to it.  Most weren’t shot outside of quals as well, but most were also more than a decade old.  But ya know, who cares.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Slide stop spring, too
View Quote

Forgot about that one.  Seen multiples of those as well.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#30]
The coil slide lock spring is a good improvement.  I’ve seen a couple of frames thrown in the trash when that spring breaks off flush.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:01:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Glock armorers course, 20+ years carrying and couple hundred thousand rounds shooting and my own eyes.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:04:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

A Glock armorers course, 20+ years carrying and couple hundred thousand rounds shooting and my own eyes.
View Quote
So, you learned in the Glock armorers course that the FPF was actually a coating and not just a finish?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:20:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Something is wrong then.

I have thousands of presentations from kydex and almost no wear at all, down to bare metal in under 100 it was a bad finish job.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So, you learned in the Glock armorers course that the FPF was actually a coating and not just a finish?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s a finish but it’s different than any of their other finishes and more wear resistant.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:53:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's a finish but it's different than any of their other finishes and more wear resistant.
View Quote
What type of finish is it? I've been shooting Glocks for 30 years and I've owned many FPF guns both Gen 3 and Gen 4.

I must have gotten lucky with my Gen 4's. This picture was taken at 4000 rounds on each and being carried in kydex. Both guns are now at 10000 rounds and still look the same.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:49:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Glock has had a few different finishes over the years.  I don’t think finish wear makes a Glock any uglier or prettier as they’re pretty utilitarian guns.

The frying pan finish was the worst one IMO as it was slippery, especially when wet.  I like a slide that’s easy to manipulate.  Coating it in something slippery is counterproductive.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:34:23 AM EDT
[#37]
I don't know about being more durable but I wish they would share common parts,at least for the internals.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Ok, early Gen 4 Glocks came with the frying pan finish, my later Gen 4 guns did not after they started putting the new finish on them. I carried a G19 Gen 4 for 7 years with thousands of presentations with absolutely zero holster wear.
The new finish on the Gen 4 started showing wear after a few times to the range. The frying pan is by far the best long term finish ever put on a weapon.  And yes, I have many Gen 4 guns that produced the same early wear so it was not just one bad gun from a certain lot during a certain time.
I'm also sure different holsters of course will wear differently,  my favorite are the Safariland 6378 series. They have been kind to the Gen 5 finish so far. As far as component wear, lock up points on the barrel, those are showing wear faster on the Gen 5 guns.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The frying pan finish was the worst one IMO as it was slippery, especially when wet.  I like a slide that's easy to manipulate.  Coating it in something slippery is counterproductive.
View Quote
True. I had forgotten about that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The frying pan finish was the worst one IMO as it was slippery, especially when wet.  I like a slide that’s easy to manipulate.  Coating it in something slippery is counterproductive.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Indeed. The best GLOCK finish was the old matte phosphate gen2 finish. Grippy when wet and who gives a damn how it wears.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I don't know about being more durable but I wish they would share common parts,at least for the internals.
View Quote

Why? All of the changes that reduce stoppages/failures are in the internals
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Why? All of the changes that reduce stoppages/failures are in the internals
View Quote

Just because I have extra parts but now need to get the newer ones. Not a big gripe and I understand the reason for change, but trying to get extra parts now is insane.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#44]
I get gen5 nitrided after milling for RMR so ...
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is one way to solve the issue
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Never thought of that. That fixes my only major gripe.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What type of finish is it? I've been shooting Glocks for 30 years and I've owned many FPF guns both Gen 3 and Gen 4.

I must have gotten lucky with my Gen 4's. This picture was taken at 4000 rounds on each and being carried in kydex. Both guns are now at 10000 rounds and still look the same.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2261/IMG_2897_JPG-1792417.JPG
View Quote

There’s no way in hell those guns had 4K rounds on them in that pic. I’ve owned a ton of glocks, gen 4’s included and they show more wear on the barrel and hood after 400 rounds than those do. I think your round count is a little off hoss.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Henderson Defense says they seen a "Huge" reduction of slide cracking with Gen5

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/High-round-count-pistols-100-000-observations/4-160140/?page=17
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

There's no way in hell those guns had 4K rounds on them in that pic. I've owned a ton of glocks, gen 4's included and they show more wear on the barrel and hood after 400 rounds than those do. I think your round count is a little off hoss.
View Quote
I don't know what to tell you, hoss. I keep track of every round fired through every one of my guns. 10,000 on the top barrel and 11,000 on the bottom barrel. Perhaps you should try using some lube.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#50]
FWIW I own one of each of the 5 gens. I prefer the finish on the gen 1&2 the best.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top